Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 21 61 70 71 72 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

GroovyEyeDesigns,
    Your 201K is gorgeous!! I love the 2 tone color scheme. My 201K is a 1936 and is black. It was a hand crank when I bought it, I like it better as a treadle; my grandkids use it with the hand crank.
    Sharon W. in Texas

Blog Entries
    Wow, I have never seen a mocha one. Beautiful.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I'm looking forward to sewing with it! My projects are piling up.

I'm just slightly concerned about the plug situation. Do you guys think a standard universal plug adapter will be safe to use with it to convert the UK plug to US? The wiring is apparently in flawless condition. I noticed another thread about grounding machines, and it had me startled a little. Everyone think it'll be safe to run? I'm a little paranoid now with my 1 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by GroovyEyeDesigns View Post
    I'm looking forward to sewing with it! My projects are piling up.

I'm just slightly concerned about the plug situation. Do you guys think a standard universal plug adapter will be safe to use with it to convert the UK plug to US? The wiring is apparently in flawless condition. I noticed another thread about grounding machines, and it had me startled a little. Everyone think it'll be safe to run? I'm a little paranoid now with my 1 year old.
    You need to first look at the motor to find out if it is 220 volts or 110 volts. You cannot run it without a converter if it is 220 volts.
    That being said, yes, you can get a 110 volt replacement plug from a hardware store to replace the old one. Get a good one though. The cheap ones are not very good, or all that safe.
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    You need to first look at the motor to find out if it is 220 volts or 110 volts. You cannot run it without a converter if it is 220 volts.
    That being said, yes, you can get a 110 volt replacement plug from a hardware store to replace the old one. Get a good one though. The cheap ones are not very good, or all that safe.
    ~G~
    It appears to be 230-250 Volts.
    Name:  il_570xN.599536099_9kwb.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  42.5 KB

Yes it does. You can get a power converter for it. They sell them at Target, Walmart, etc.
    ~G~

You can also change the motor on it. A 110 one is usually available on eBay and such and not terribly expensive. Make sure the wiring is in good condition and properly terminated and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Yes it does. You can get a power converter for it. They sell them at Target, Walmart, etc.
    ~G~
    Would you mind posting a link to what I might need? I'm no electrician.

I saw a model made in Australia... a 201P I believe, and it said right on the motor, which seems to be the same as the 201K, "Do not earth. Double insulated."

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 10.36.22 PM.png
Views: 249
Size:  487.2 KB

Wonder if that also applies to the 201K?

Never mind. I did a bit of research and see what you mean. What's a good brand converter to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by GroovyEyeDesigns View Post
    Never mind. I did a bit of research and see what you mean. What's a good brand converter to buy?
    I have not purchased one myself, but check Amazon and look at the ratings is what I would recommend.
    ~G~

I was surfing ebay this morning and discovered this poor wee bairn, she's nekkid!! Note the inflated price for this "stunning work of art", it just breaks my heart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-201-2...item4ad646da20

Sharon W.in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    I was surfing ebay this morning and discovered this poor wee bairn, she's nekkid!! Note the inflated price for this "stunning work of art", it just breaks my heart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-201-2...item4ad646da20

Sharon W.in Texas
    LOL, too funny. Gross, but funny

This would have been great for the "For Giggles" thread...

Gah! It looks like an accident that is masquerading as done on purpose!
    Christy
    Starting the year out fresh

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    This would have been great for the "For Giggles" thread...
    My thoughts exactly Steve.
    Why would anyone strip all the japan off, reassemble, and not mention this in the ad, which starts at 10x the market value?? Relying on someone having more money than sense?
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

a quote from a dear departed friend...

"Nail any two things together that have never been nailed together before, and some schmuck WILL buy it"

they may be emulating the look of some popular hot rods, you can see pictures of which, are at the mags in the grocery store. Kind of a bare rusted look. On a 29 Ford it's sort of cool, but on a sewing machine, not if you're going to sew.
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

Blog Entries
    Clearly, this person's sense of art is worthless. Auction ended, zero bids. Divine justice!
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    My thoughts exactly Steve.
    Why would anyone strip all the japan off, reassemble, and not mention this in the ad, which starts at 10x the market value?? Relying on someone having more money than sense?
    I had a Singer 15-30 someone stripped down to bare metal - well in places - about all you would want to do is sew on leather - too bad - it was a fantastic machine. People do dumb and then discard.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Hey gang,

What are your opinions on the Singer 185? I'm very saddened that my deal for the 201 fell through, when the seller suddenly changed his shipping policy after I made the purchase, and wanted to charge me $450 to ship via UPS. I was very upset, but got a full refund. I managed to nab a 185 from Canada (no need to worry about a voltage converter!) for $35.00! I was wondering how many of you have used one and what you think of them. It's a gorgeous green and the wiring looks like it's in great shape! Comes with the original manual and sewing attachments. It just needs a good cleaning, and a new belt.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 1.05.33 PM.png
Views: 289
Size:  525.1 KB

What do you guys think? Good deal? I figured at that price, I didn't have much to lose. She originally wanted $100, and I negotiated down to $35, by mentioning the belt, the need to verify the wiring, etc. The person hadn't a clue about sewing machines. Looks like a UK case too, which I'm curious about.
    Last edited by GroovyEyeDesigns; 06-11-2014 at 09:10 AM.

A close up of Kermit (yes, I named it Kermit, as a bit of a joke towards my Quebecois fiance. The machine was made in Quebec and is green. haha) Going to change the belt (is there a standard size for the 185?) and maybe get a metal spool holder.

Name:  singer185.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  240.4 KB

Blog Entries
    The 185 is a wonderful machine - it is a lot like a Singer 99 or 66. The Singer 285 looks the same but is not as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    The 185 is a wonderful machine - it is a lot like a Singer 99 or 66. The Singer 285 looks the same but is not as nice.
    I agree with Miriam. The three machines all have the same internal mechanical's, or at least very similar. The hook area is all the same. They sew very nice as do the 66 and 99.
    ~G~

So i got a good deal then? I figured the wiring would have less tendancy to be buggy. Any idea what size belt I would need? I'm seeing some places saying it's a 15", some saying 14", and some even 13 3/4".

Blog Entries
    I wish I could answer the belt question. Belts have become a pitb lately. You got a fine deal. Wiring can be ok but as a caution and since some people are pretty worried about wiring, you might get it rewired.

Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 21 61 70 71 72 81 ... LastLast