Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 20 60 69 70 71 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

  1. #1726
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    yeah, the first one was clearly a "postcard" whereas this is much more of a postcard sized flyer/advert.

    The comment "having sold machines in Jamestown for more than 25 years" make me VERY curious. This card was dated to about 1910, so that means that this business would have been in place in the 1885 timeframe....

    I am now looking for more history on this firm.

  2. #1727
    Super Member Rodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    4,891
    Cool puzzle you found for yourself. Do you ever go back home? I'm just wondering what's there now.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

    trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

  3. #1728
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    My Folks still live there. When the weather settles down my Mom is going to go to those spots and take current pics...

  4. #1729
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    based on the local population I suspect it is swedish.
    My DD says its German, she translated some of it.
    Sharon W.

  5. #1730
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    ok cool, Thanks! Any portion of the translation that you want to share would be great (PM is probably better)

  6. #1731
    Junior Member Cathieinut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    194

    Oops I did it again!

    I honestly thought I could resist another treadle...afterall it has some thing major with the cabinet that will need to be dealt with one day...
    So here it is in all it's glory! I think I will have to name her Bonnie as that is one of the auctioneers that encouraged me to keep bidding LOL

    I think you might be able to tell what the cabinet problem is...why did someone "antique" this vintage and now antique, or close to being antique, cabinet green? I am a lover of green but not over a lovely oak cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images




    Cathie in Ut
    Who tends to be like a bird who is distracted by sparkly and shiny things!

  7. #1732
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    very nice! the cabinet looks fantastic under that crud!

  8. #1733
    Super Member mlmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
    I honestly thought I could resist another treadle...afterall it has some thing major with the cabinet that will need to be dealt with one day...
    So here it is in all it's glory! I think I will have to name her Bonnie as that is one of the auctioneers that encouraged me to keep bidding LOL

    I think you might be able to tell what the cabinet problem is...why did someone "antique" this vintage and now antique, or close to being antique, cabinet green? I am a lover of green but not over a lovely oak cabinet.
    They used to paint everything. My parents had a lot of nice wood furniture that had the most unappealing paint applied to them.
    Mark

  9. #1734
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,133
    I remember the green "antiquing"paint they used in the 1970s. UGH!!! The White rotary is one of my favorite treadles.

  10. #1735
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,743
    Blog Entries
    47
    Just brought home my 3rd Singer 301A. However, this one is a beautiful black machine. The case came with it; no icky smells; only a little wear and tear show on it. A bonus of some great attachments. The machine is clean and runs really well. Am I blessed or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images





    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  11. #1736
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    madison
    Posts
    469
    you are blessed. nice machine. best part is no smell in the case. enjoy
    😊 wilburness 😊

  12. #1737
    Junior Member Cathieinut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    194
    Your 301 is very pretty and the case is just like mine minus the mysterious red stain that I have on my case
    Cathie in Ut
    Who tends to be like a bird who is distracted by sparkly and shiny things!

  13. #1738
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320

    My SMALLEST and rarest bit yet...

    This is a Willcox & Gibbs Gatherer attachment. This fits on the end of hte standard foot to make it a gatherer. My 1870's W&G has it's original manual and a complete attachment set MINUS this (until now)
    Name:  2014-06-04 18.09.45.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  46.4 KB

    and for scale reference...
    Name:  2014-06-04 18.10.15.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  44.1 KB

  14. #1739
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Steve, Can you show a picture of it attached to the foot? Without trying to make a joke, is it like a boot for the foot, where this goes on the front leading edge?
    ~G~

  15. #1740
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    yes it is, I will do that tonight.

    Here is the illustrated view though.
    Name:  W&G Gatherer part.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  46.2 KB

  16. #1741
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    30
    Hello everyone,

    I'm new around here, and stumbled upon this board/thread through various other websites, while trying to do some research on a machine I just bought off ebay. It caught my eye instantly, and the fact that it was made in Japan and all metal encouraged me to buy it. However, when it arrived, the stitch length dial was not working and I'll need to have it serviced. Being the DIY girl that I am, I wanted to see if I could figure out the problem myself, but I can't for the life of me find a manual for this machine. That's when I found out about "badged" machines from Japan. I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this machine to see what it was modeled after. It's an Emdeko Mark IV...

    Name:  emdeko.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  230.4 KB

    Handsome retro guy, n'est ce pas?
    Last edited by GroovyEyeDesigns; 06-05-2014 at 10:19 PM.

  17. #1742
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GroovyEyeDesigns View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I'm new around here, and stumbled upon this board/thread through various other websites, while trying to do some research on a machine I just bought off ebay. It caught my eye instantly, and the fact that it was made in Japan and all metal encouraged me to buy it. However, when it arrived, the stitch length dial was not working and I'll need to have it serviced. Being the DIY girl that I am, I wanted to see if I could figure out the problem myself, but I can't for the life of me find a manual for this machine. That's when I found out about "badged" machines from Japan. I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this machine to see what it was modeled after. It's an Emdeko Mark IV...

    Name:  emdeko.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  230.4 KB

    Handsome retro guy, n'est ce pas?
    Looks like 1980s to me. I don't know of any manuals. Your problem with the dial may be dried up oil somewhere in the system. You will need to oil inside the machine. Anyplace that moves will need some oil.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  18. #1743
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    30
    When I opened it up to oil it, I noticed the dial wasn't hooked onto anything. it's just turning freely! The person I bought it off of claims it was fine, but how could a piece disappear? It could merely be detached, but I don't see any dangling pieces.

  19. #1744
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    Welcome Groovy!

    This looks like it will take some discussion. May I suggest that you go ahead and open a new thread? That way we can really get into a focused chat without other posts mixing it up!

    Cool looking machine! I collect pre 1900's machines, so I am practically worthless to you here but I thought I would chime in with a welcome!

  20. #1745
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    thought I would share my latest Tradecard (Victorian business Card) acquisition.

    This is an advert/card for the "New" Elias Howe Model B (which I have two of) I think it is one of the most beautiful in my collection.

    Name:  2014-06-05 18.03.57_sm.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  111.9 KB

  21. #1746
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Welcome Groovy!

    This looks like it will take some discussion. May I suggest that you go ahead and open a new thread? That way we can really get into a focused chat without other posts mixing it up!

    Cool looking machine! I collect pre 1900's machines, so I am practically worthless to you here but I thought I would chime in with a welcome!
    Will do, Steve!

  22. #1747
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    cool threader. It was advertised as not having the spare hooks but if you look at the little bump in the front pic and at the back of where the hook mounts in the back view you will see BOTH spares are there.

    Too Cool.

    Front
    Name:  2014-06-06 18.46.17.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  32.8 KB

    Back
    Name:  2014-06-06 18.46.52.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.0 KB

  23. #1748
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    30
    Being the sewing machine geek that I am, I splurged and got a mint condition mocha-colored 201K this morning, made in Great Britain. I cannot wait to sew with it!! $70 for this gem... but reading up on 201s, it deemed a worthy investment, considering the shape it's in!

    Name:  il_fullxfull.600469224_10c2.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  203.1 KB

  24. #1749
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by groovyeyedesigns View Post
    being the sewing machine geek that i am, i splurged and got a mint condition mocha-colored 201k this morning, made in great britain. I cannot wait to sew with it!! $70 for this gem... But reading up on 201s, it deemed a worthy investment, considering the shape it's in!

    Name:  il_fullxfull.600469224_10c2.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  203.1 KB
    nice machine....

  25. #1750
    Super Member amcatanzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,084
    I love those bases. They seem heavier than the older case bottoms.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 20 60 69 70 71 80 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.