Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 75 of 92 FirstFirst ... 25 65 74 75 76 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I guess it has been longer than I thought since I was a dad to a young boy, and not old enough to have grand kids yet. I knew the song though.
    ~G~
    That's funny. I'm 49 raising my 20 month old daughter. It's like raising my own grandchild - many of my friends are becoming grandparents. Thank goodness my wife is a lot younger than me. :-)

My son and stepdaughter (read daughter) are both 24. Some day I will have a grandchild but not too soon I hope.

I wanted to sneak in a few pictures of my latest project. I just finished it yesterday morning. It is a Willson And Gibbs that dates from either 1899 or 1900. It was seized up when I got it but everything was there except for the needle. Does anyone have a source for them?
    Here is a before and after of the front and back and a couple of other before and afters for comparison.
    ~G~

Name:  IMG_5999.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  566.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6058.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  836.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6004.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  551.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6069.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  928.6 KB

Name:  handwheel before and after.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  597.9 KB

Name:  Hook area before and after 2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  738.9 KB

Name:  medallion before and after.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  230.7 KB
    Last edited by grant15clone; 08-31-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    You can get needles on Ebay, Albrands and the Treadle lady.com
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Great job cleaning that one up!
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Grant, your efforts put mine to shame. Your skills are Smithsonian, seriously. Did you use a dremel?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You can get needles on Ebay, Albrands and the Treadle lady.com
    I did google it and came up with her listing on ebay. Prices seemed a little high but I had not gone through it as much as I should have before asking here. Thank you.

Thank you Rodney and Kenmorerulesall. Yes, I did use a Dremel to clean up a lot of the bare and plated metal parts with a wire wheel and a buffing wheel. I also used Mother's Mag Wheel Polish on some parts also. Some things work better than others. One thing I did learn is that the paint is not as resilient on these machines as they are on many other machines. It scratches easier than just about all other machines. Extra care has to be taken on them.
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    That's funny. I'm 49 raising my 20 month old daughter. It's like raising my own grandchild - many of my friends are becoming grandparents. Thank goodness my wife is a lot younger than me. :-)
    I became a grandmother 4 months before I had my last child. Aunt is younger than niece. They've been raised together and are more like sisters or close cousins. I just wish more of my kids or kidlets would show some interest in the machines. Arrow does but he's young so who knows if his interest is real and lasting or if it's just because he wants to do what Gramma is doing.

Cari

Grant that cleaned up really nice. You do such great work.

Cari

My most recent acquisition (as of 3 pm yesterday):

Name:  P1000317 (640x640).jpg
Views: 240
Size:  208.0 KBName:  P1000323 (640x640).jpg
Views: 246
Size:  219.7 KBName:  P1000320 (640x640).jpg
Views: 242
Size:  221.6 KB

The Pfaff 30. Straight-stitch with reverse, feed dog drop on the deck, class 15 bobbin, unusual 1.4 amp motor so this thing has power and speed to burn. Unusual bobbin housing including a hinged collar rather than the more typical bracket/screw setup.

The cabinet's finish is shot but it's sturdy. The machine hasn't seen much sewing but that's going to change. I love this thing. For $40, I really love this thing.
    Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 09-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Nice get! Looks like the cabinet absorbed all the abuse. That machine is a pretty one, it looks new.
    Rodney

Thank you. It's missing the L-shaped spool extension for the bracket on the spool pin closest to the wheel. It's just an accessory but a cool one, I think. Yeah, it's in very good shape, especially the decals and the lip around the edge of the deck. It's pretty but it's a beast.

30s are rare around here. This is the first I've ever seen in-person. The cabinet protected it well and it's sturdy -- worth the effort of refinishing, especially with its cool hardware. I found 11 pairs of shears/scissors in it as well as a bunch of notions, a pair of lace panties, and a box of contraception. I assume it was used as a night stand.

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    , a pair of lace panties, and a box of contraception. I assume it was used as a night stand.
    Now that has got to be the BEST found items in a cabinet EVER!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Cari

Beautiful machine too BTW.

I found a bunch of other things in there too. Trucking company letterhead, an old oil can (not a sewing machine oil can but a large oil can, like for a car), a couple of manicure implements, all kinds of stuff... Seriously, I wouldn't think of selling something before cleaning it out, if not cleaning it up. More disturbing: perhaps he did.

I tried 3 x's to load the before photo. It won't do it..

Do a visual of this machine with about 17% of it's paint and decals left..

It's a 1916 or 1918 singer 16 - 188 . I bought for $100 complete with the table, and working, very well used.. later for a $100 again with table an other 16 - 188 that is a 1954 is just black with the gold singer on the arm. This make over started in 2007 , it took over a year to just get the Black on it..

why you say ? because of using rustolium 2 x paint. since that stuff came out I used it several times with the same results. That is on the 2nd coat it will wrinkle all to ****. I went back to regular ol rusty O. gotta love Chinese paint .

The machine isn't finished, I need to get new paint pens , finish the greens and reds. fill in the gold breaks on singer. The industrial's have totally different graphics, than there domestic's had.

My fix was to used stencils , finally found that kylon gold leaf paint was a close match to singers shade of gold.. these stencils are martha stewart, to get a even close design of what was on here, it would have taken 5 packs on those. They cost $10 per pack, SOOOO ewwww. I bought one.

This is what I came up with.. now it could have been painted to look like a pink horse..

Attached Images Attached Images

LOLOLOLOLOL some how the 3rd pic got tied into the 2nd photo, meaning there both in one link ..

well you know what that machine is , I gave that away over 4 yrs ago ha ha ha ugly old thing anyway. gave the sam elady the white just like that but in crinkle finish and two FR treadles all restored ..

Wow, you did that with stencils? Great work.

Cari

yes. go online and check out stencils. Now these are the plastic semi self stick on type, all they give you is the gold back ground. after that fill in the black hi lighting / lines and colors. if you know colors gold is the hardest one to match up. in person the gold on this is much brighter and has just a hint of sparkle deep in it..
    I looked for years before finding this, even tired mixing gold. I do know why singer used silver behind there gold,

Great paint job, looks well worth your time.

Beautiful. This would be a great project for a cheap, beater machine.

That's a great job on the artwork! There's going to be a very confused collector someday when they try to match the artwork on that one.
    Rodney

another Idea I've toy'd with for years..

I'm sure every one has seen ( on the net) the painted hands, a real hand painted to look like an animal as horse, dog , cat dragon's, elephant, bird, so on..

or

a bright base colors with balloons , a circus theme , something fun that would appeal to kids

I have a geat black beast that will work perfect for that X. Great idea!

Rofl! Score!!

I just picked up a Singer Starlet 496 today.. no accessories or booklet so online looking. It's a very cute machine, thanks for a bit of the history.

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    ... The cabinet protected it well and it's sturdy -- worth the effort of refinishing, especially with its cool hardware. I found 11 pairs of shears/scissors in it as well as a bunch of notions, a pair of lace panties, and a box of contraception. I assume it was used as a night stand.
    Whew, that's quite a haul! heeheeheehee

Page 75 of 92 FirstFirst ... 25 65 74 75 76 85 ... LastLast