Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 76 of 92 FirstFirst ... 26 66 75 76 77 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

^ Looks great. Until I read the writeup, I was amazed at seeing a new decal pattern I hadn't seen before. Nice work.

thanks I'm surprised at how real it does look. in real life it is striking guess that would be the word for it. What makes it look kinda singer real is the black lines inside the gold. stencils don't have this, it just comes out a solid gold. so I help looking at my singers hi light lines and tried to copy what they did. alot of this fill in coloring, what you do is just touch the pen tip to the surface, let that dry, then do the same again until you get the right amount of color. this winter I'll get new pens and go back to it. I only did the large design on the back side and there isn't any singer back there ..

Well, that's a lovely machine. Thanks for sharing. I showed it to my mother the retired home ec teacher, and she also sends compliments. :-)

well !! tell mom Thanks LOLOL

sad story about mom's. my mother died about 3 yrs ago at 94, she sewed all her life, she made her living as a artist, ( oil paintings water colors ect ) her favorite to paint was Roses.

at about 75 she started do miniature painting on titles, like groups of dime size and smaller flowers, she used magnifying glasses to do this ( the hoody/ hobby type). I can only imagine what she could have done with one of these machines.

A fun thing , she also got into toll painting , she would go camping with us. This place had white braked tree's, while the other where out doing this. she would go around and paint on the tree's some would be flowers while other were faces, using knots as the eyes. she turned the camp area into a fantasy land ( water based colors that would wash away in the rain )

I've been the beneficiary of an amazingly generous sewing universe but I was on an errand today and dropped into a thrift store and found this:

The price? $9.99. It looks like it was used maybe 10 times. Lots of feet/attachments in a metal Pfaff box and I found the original sales receipt signed by the original owner. No power cord but the knee controller/cord is intact. The cabinet is shot and doesn't hold the machine very well. It may be fixable, maybe not.

I found another machine as well. More on that one later.
    Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 09-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Ooooooooooo gotta see gotta see. The photo's are not showing on this end..

you know, I find alot of machines now days that have very little use, 3 have never been used. I understand why way back when sewing machine where a gift, you graduated high school ya got a machine, got married ya got a machine, she got mad at you she got a machine ..it was like getting a sunbeam mixer. or one of those new thing that were electric and opened cans .

I've moved a whole of sewing machines around that have never been out of there cases. fact two weeks ago dug out a kenmore that I know has only been sewn on 3 or 4 times.

every machine I see in these now days mom & pop type thrift stores are $100 up, cause they looked it up on the net ..

Hmmm. I can see the pictures. I wonder what's wrong. I know that the dimensions are larger than the pictures I selected to post.

Yeah, the eBay effect has raised prices generally, I suspect. Many CL listings say something like "These are selling for $600 on eBay so $300 is a great deal" (and it's a 15-90 in decent but not great shape). People (want to) assume that just because an eBay seller lists something at a certain price, it's selling for that price; they're merely trying to inflate bids. And there are a lot of flippers on CL.

I've found great deals in the larger thrift stores, though. They need to move inventory so the prices come down after a while. $9.99 for a Pfaff 130 in this condition? Amazing. What's so odd is that other folks who saw it before I did didn't recognize its quality. Makes me feel like I'm strange, in a way.
    Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 09-12-2014 at 11:28 AM.

The pics aren't here for me either. I have a little competition for old machines near me. The better ones don't stay long. I'm not too surprised the Pfaff didn't move quickly though. I think most people don't want older machines and appliances because they don't know how to work on them and there's no guarantee. They go buy something at the big box stores with the idea that if it breaks they'll just get another.
    Corporate America has decided it's more profitable to sell cheap throwaway items and we prove them right every time we buy one instead of buying something of quality or getting something repaired.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I can't see the pics either. Yes, we have become such a throw away society. Household items used to be built with the thought that it ought to last a lifetime. Now obsolescence is planned into the making of new items. My dad was a repairman for Sears for over 30 years. Back when he first started in the 60s, they were still repairing appliances from the 30s and 40s. By the time he retired, they only want them to repair items that are less than 5 years old. My oldest DD just had to buy a new washer because they wanted over $500 just for the parts to repair her 8 year old one plus labor, so she got a new similar one(with newer! better! features) for less than $400.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    .... she got a new similar one(with newer! better! features) for less than $400.Cari
    And it is the desire for EXACTLY this which drives the quality down... (more features, "better", features, LESS money)

The only way that can occur is if the labor in the process makes VERY little money and the components are farmed out for the lowest price (again labor to produce paid next to nothing)

The quality difference between an 1880's Singer and an 1880's "new home" is significant, so was the price...

My research into the sweatshops of the day (and today) has really opened my eyes to the self-induced down spiral of price and quality that we created and are living through still.

Let's see if these pictures show up:

Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! Nice!

Thanks! Not as nice as yours (and not free, either) but I like it and the price was nice. This morning I ripped it out of the cabinet with my bare hands, pins and all. I was afraid it wouldn't be supported for long as the screws and mounts were crumbling.

Wow! Color me green. I bought a 130 for $45 off CL, but not in nearly as good condition as yours, and with an after market motor. I still haven't had it looked at by our Pfaff guy, but he thinks he has a motor for it.

$45 is a great price, though. In my area, CL Pfaff 130s are usually around $100 - $200. I have another I bought for $80 (? -- I think that was the price) and in very good condition but it took a lot of cleaning. I mean seriously, it took me weeks to get it clean. I'm beginning to realize that Pfaffs are worth paying a little extra, both in asking price and in refurbishing costs. Really wonderful machines.

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    $45 is a great price, though. In my area, CL Pfaff 130s are usually around $100 - $200. I have another I bought for $80 (? -- I think that was the price) and in very good condition but it took a lot of cleaning. I mean seriously, it took me weeks to get it clean. I'm beginning to realize that Pfaffs are worth paying a little extra, both in asking price and in refurbishing costs. Really wonderful machines.
    I've seen them for a lot higher than that. I can see the pics now and you done good.

Cari

Thank you very much. I recently saw a 130 on CL for $100 and it had the coffee grinder, the spool pin extensions and the extra lamp. I was sorely tempted. And I've seen them for $500, too.

I need to learn to make custom bentwood cases. Several of us need to go into business making them, with matching desks and chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    Thank you very much. I recently saw a 130 on CL for $100 and it had the coffee grinder, the spool pin extensions and the extra lamp. I was sorely tempted. And I've seen them for $500, too.

I need to learn to make custom bentwood cases. Several of us need to go into business making them, with matching desks and chairs.
    Pardon my ignorance but I've seen it mentioned several times and can't figure out what it is. I trued looking it up online but I came up with the kitchen thing and I don't believe that's what your talking about.

What is the coffee grinder?

The coffee grinder is an embroidery stitch attachment that is mounted to the back of a 130. It has levers that you can see from the front of the machine and it's housed in a matching black metal unit with the Pfaff logo. It's rather noisy, making a grinding noise -- thus, the name.

This is a good explanation:

https://sites.google.com/site/sewmac...me/pfaff-130-6

OK, now I understand. The pictures helped a whole lot.

You got that for 10 Bucks , that great .I have two one with the coffee grinder like most ( as I hear) both were stuck / gummed up . one was just the zig zag. the other was both the zz and stitch length, which was a total pita to free up, using google I came up with a zero on any information to service it I did find that they do have a nylon ? plastic gear. you can get link belts for them , along with one an other site a guy say he will make you one, that was afew years back I did a quilt using fabric heavy as med weight denim, wasn't all that impressed, so I did the spoked handwheel thing, remachined that to get the bobbin winder to work. OOO ya it then had the punching power butt as talked about they don't stop when you let off the gas, it will do 2 to 3 more stitches , then stop LOL. my quilts quilting line were not very straight, I took the grinder one used this to go over those lines. these where 7 foot lines, talk about use up thread !!! it say these have something like 52 / 54 different patterns , bull they have 5 patterns maybe 10 different lengths to each pattern I also read that you really really have to know how to adjust the grinder to get the patterns I got these 4/5 years ago $60 on each what sweet'd those buys was one was in singer 4 drawer treadle, the other was in a singer #42 cabinet these both were barn machines, the cleaning the body was easy. but the metal ( silver) took for ever. There a great puzzle to put back together . like a maze of movement there very good machines, there not a $500 machine

ken if you get serious about making dome tops check the price on nice veneer. you might change your mind. spendyyour in a huge city area, do you know what door skins are ? it's 2 ply veneer very bendable, check for a company that make hallow core interior doors , these skins are what those doors are faced with
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 09-13-2014 at 01:07 AM.

These are photos of some of the machines we have collected over the years

my 1955 Featherweight

Foley and Williams

This is my Singer Model 27 1903

This is a picture of my friend's Singer 127 Sphinx model treadle when
    my DH began to take it apart to refurbish it. The entire machine had that
    dull dirty look and it was gummed up and wasn't working. He took it all
    apart and cleaned it. It is now working and looks good also.

This is what it looked like when he was finished. She was very
    happy with the results.
    Last edited by twinkie; 09-13-2014 at 05:32 AM.

xxxxxx, agree! I've heard those coffee grinders are more trouble than they're worth and people really charge $$ for them. I like embroidery stitching (although I don't really do any) but if it's going to be that much of a pain, I won't bother. Like you say, there are only several patterns, unlike a nice large set of Kenmore cams where you can get up to 60 unique patterns, then change the lengths and widths for variety.

I do like the spoked Pfaff wheel, though; it looks really cool. But I was reading that the plastic hand wheel actually provides more control over starting, stopping, and speed due to its low mass and relative lack of inertia when, say, stopping from a high speed. And you can forward the needle from the pedal stitch by stitch -- difficult to do with a large, heavy steel wheel.

I guess I was fantasizing about the bent veneer cases. I would probably just make them for myself and friends but it would be great to be able to finally get rid of some of these old sewing cabinets and put these machines into cases that are more portable.

twinkie, can you re-post your pictures? I'm not seeing anything and your description makes me want to see them.

Page 76 of 92 FirstFirst ... 26 66 75 76 77 86 ... LastLast