Vintage sewing machine

Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 AM

that MN A is most likely a Davis VS machine. Based on the tension type, this may be a later machine that takes "modern" size needles, but the shuttle and bobbins are only available vintage.

Sears sold machines under teh Minnesota name, and I think over the years, at least 5 different companies had contracts with Sears to supply them. And even the "A" got reused - but it's easy enough to tell who the manufacturer is by looking at the machine. One key item is the square needle plate and also how the belt rides. Though the front inspection plate on yours has me wondering - would need better pictures

Here are two of my Davis machines. I think they would both be older than yours.

It also has a top clamp foot, so you can't get something like a hopping foot for FMQ, and the feed dogs don't drop so you need a cover plate for FMQ.

It's a nice machine, and should sew well as a treadle or hand crank - not sure if it's got a way to mount a motor to it like Singers have. However I don't think I'd recommend this type of machine for FMQ.

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-07-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 AM

Thanks Macybaby. I think I will try to get it fixed up and use it for piecing. That is if I can get it working.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by J3General View Post
If your vintage foot controller "goes from zero to sixty" too quickly, your controller needs servicing. There are online tutorials and YouTube videos that will walk you through the steps. It's pretty easy.

John Thomas in NC
If you will do your search on Youtube for Singer 401 (or 401a) controller, you will find several very good tutorials. The controllers are the same on all the vintage Singers.

bkay
Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608118[/ATTACH] The bobbins and shuttles in the left of this pic are similar to what you will want. Sears started in Minnesota so "borrowed : the name.
Attached Thumbnails 12-shuttles-c.jpg  
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Oil everything that should move. Don't get water near your decals.[ATTACH=CONFIG]608119[/ATTACH]

This is a Minnesota C with an odd controller.
Attached Thumbnails minnesota-c-first-day.jpg  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 AM

I do all my FMQ on a Singer 301. 7 1/2" throat and with the slant needle I have a good view of the working area. A king/queen is on the machine now. I did use a 1949 Necchi that looks similar to a Singer 15 for one quilt and it did a nice job.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 AM

Actually, you will find the harp areas are larger on the vintage machines than the newer machines. When I first took my 301A to quilting, I almost felt like an outcast. Everyone else had newer machines with all the bells and whistles. I finally bought a new machine and I absolutely hated the thing. I practically gave it away just to get rid of it. I love the vintage machines, my favorite is my Viking 6440, then my two New Home L372's, and my three 301's (two long beds, one short bed). I can do all the maintenance on them myself. When I purchase each one I take it to my service guy (Wild Man) for a total checkup/cleanup. After that I can do most maintenance myself. My machines only go in for a check up occasionally.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM

I'm now starting to work on it. I finally got the wheel to turn. It is still a little tough to turn but it is turning with no squeaks. Yeah!! I'm going to work on it some more. After I get it turning smoothly I will take it out of its cabinet and buy a base box to put it in. The stand it self I will replace the top and repaint the medal legs and use it a table for it to sit on in my sewing room. That is once I rearrange it. There is only so much you can do with a 10x10 room. Thank goodness for walk in closet (which houses my 9 ft christmas tree).
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM

found this -

I was searching online and ended up back on QB!

Minnesota A Treadle
Old 02-13-2019, 05:08 AM

Just a thought about a portable base for your sewing machine: the way the head sits now, in the table, you have a flat bed working space, and very likely close to an ergonomic position for your height. If you put the machine in a base, on top of a table, you will lose your flatbed working surface (more drag from the fabric ensues) and may feel as if your hands are "perched" uncomfortably at a weird height and angle. You may want to try it as is before making major changes.