Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
want your Craiglist overpriced intro letters >

want your Craiglist overpriced intro letters

want your Craiglist overpriced intro letters

Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what Cecilia S. wrote. If you write a positive with out intending to insult, it's easier for most to accept. Then of course you may also get the rude and ignorant reply and life goes on.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 AM

I just snicker and laugh and cast aspersions about the sellers heritage. The machine is not worth enough to go to all the hassle of trying to dicker the seller down to a reasonable price.

Joe
Old 09-13-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks Cecilia, I think that's a great start for me.

I would agree that I should be in the don't bother camp. But then where else do I find sewing machines? Here is someone that just posted not 5 minutes ago. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/art/4044246306.html I wish that was just an outlier, but it's the norm here.

UGH! drives me crazy.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 AM

I have an antique booth and occasionally sell my leftovers on e-bay. I have received messages from people correcting me as to what the item is and I truly appreciate their help as long as they are polite. However, I've never received a letter stating that I'm overpriced. But then, I start all my auctions at a very low price as my goal on these items is just to get rid of them. I have had messages asking if this doesn't sell for your price, would you consider posting at a $xx.xx (lower than original post) as I am short on money right now but would love to have this item. If it doesn't sell and it's doable, I accept. If not, I explain that I have more money in the item and can't sell it for that. But then I usually make a counter offer. If it works out, I repost and make a sale.

Having said all of that, if I received a polite and respectful letter explaining that I was extremely overpriced, I might be offended at first, but then I would probably do a little more research and determine if they are correct or not and adjust accordingly.

Hope that helps!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

...and sometimes it is just fun to poke the bear....
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ggenovez View Post
Thanks Cecilia, I think that's a great start for me.

I would agree that I should be in the don't bother camp. But then where else do I find sewing machines? Here is someone that just posted not 5 minutes ago. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/art/4044246306.html I wish that was just an outlier, but it's the norm here.

UGH! drives me crazy.
They are all like that? Around here, Craigslist has some dreamers, but there are still a lot of bargains to be had.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
They are all like that? Around here, Craigslist has some dreamers, but there are still a lot of bargains to be had.
Yeah, I know. you probably think I'm over reacting. but here is a 200 mile radius of me http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/...ine&catAbb=sss

There's enough in here to fill another 10 pages of "what are they smoking" pages.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post

Having said all of that, if I received a polite and respectful letter explaining that I was extremely overpriced, I might be offended at first, but then I would probably do a little more research and determine if they are correct or not and adjust accordingly.

Hope that helps!!
Amelia, thanks for the feedback. my last message to someone who was selling a 301 with a table (not a cabinet) that was held together with duct tape, I was told I was a hater, and to stop bothering people.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/art/4044246306.html
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
...and sometimes it is just fun to poke the bear....
Steve, I'm with you brother. but that's the only thing I'm going to be doing on CL.

Let me know if you have any alternative sources rather than CL and Flea-bay.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ggenovez View Post
Steve, I'm with you brother. but that's the only thing I'm going to be doing on CL.

Let me know if you have any alternative sources rather than CL and Flea-bay.
I've found machines at garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores, Goodwill, and the Salvation Army stores.