Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
We did it again, another Sphinx and a 29-4 >

We did it again, another Sphinx and a 29-4

We did it again, another Sphinx and a 29-4

Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by krista View Post
BEAUTIFUL machines! There is no such thing as having to many. They look nice even as decorations. Have fun using them!
Thanks Krista. I wish I could explain that to my husband. There is no understanding on his part. At least my favorite enabler, my daughter, has the same addiction. BTW, my daughter's name is Krista also.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 AM

You got a deal!! I've never seen that large, leather machine for sale for less than $500. It would be an awesome "statement" piece and decorator item in your home, if you have the room.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
You got a deal!! I've never seen that large, leather machine for sale for less than $500. It would be an awesome "statement" piece and decorator item in your home, if you have the room.
Thanks Candace. I wish I had the room to bring him in the house. Stanley (that is what we named him) is currently in hiding in the garage, covered up with a sheet. DH does not know about him. I guess I will have to confess about Stanley when and if DH goes into my side of the garage. LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I wish I had the room to bring him in the house. Stanley (that is what we named him) is currently in hiding in the garage, covered up with a sheet. DH does not know about him. I guess I will have to confess about Stanley when and if DH goes into my side of the garage. LOL
Hi Caroline,

Your DH may be pleasantly surprised to find out that you got a Singer 29-4. They’re a lot of fun to play with, not to mention very useful when something needs repaired. We have a 29K70 (similar to your 29-4) in our sewing room (living room) that gets used occasionally, and a second one at the shop that I use regularly. My wife hasn’t used either one of them yet, mainly because I like to sew on them, but I have heard of several women that own and use model 29s. He may try to talk you out of it!

You certainly got a bargain!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine140_17.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Hi Caroline,

Your DH may be pleasantly surprised to find out that you got a Singer 29-4. They’re a lot of fun to play with, not to mention very useful when something needs repaired. We have a 29K70 (similar to your 29-4) in our sewing room (living room) that gets used occasionally, and a second one at the shop that I use regularly. My wife hasn’t used either one of them yet, mainly because I like to sew on them, but I have heard of several women that own and use model 29s. He may try to talk you out of it!

You certainly got a bargain!

CD in Oklahoma
Yes, it would be a conversation piece. Let's see, if I moved his gun racks (yes, racks) out of the living room and his recliner I might have room for Stanley. Somehow I don't think that would work. I see your 29-4 has the hand wheel, I don't think mine does. I am going to download the instruction manual for him today once I hook up my printer. Thanks for affirming that Stanley was a good purchase.

BTW, I see you are nicely decorated for Christmas. I like the Twister wall hanging.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I see your 29-4 has the hand wheel, I don't think mine does.
BTW, I see you are nicely decorated for Christmas. I like the Twister wall hanging.
I’m not sure that your machine had the balance wheel “Handle”, “Spindle”, & “Nut” on it. I’m not sure when they were added to the model 29. My machine is a later model (1943), so it’s over 30 years younger. The handle is a wooden knob with a bolt through it that screws into a threaded hole on the wheel, and has a jam nut for the back side to keep the bolt tight but allow the knob to spin on the “spindle”. My other 29K70 machine doesn’t have one on it, although it has the threaded hole for one. I find that I never use the handle, maybe because I’m used to grabbing the rim of the wheel.

Also, I certainly don’t want to distract from your other machine! I have an Eastlake treadle similar to yours that I bought containing a 1900 version of the same model of machine in it as yours. The inside of the pillar and upper arm had been stuffed full of pecans by some varmint, and it took forever to get all of them back out. LOL! They were stuffed in there like a puzzle! I put a model 66 machine in the cabinet and loaned it to the local museum for an interactive treadle machine that visitors can try their hand (or foot) at treadling a sewing machine. I think it’s one of Singer’s nicest looking cabinets.

Thanks for the compliment on my wife’s Twister wall hanging. She loves to quilt. I really should have removed some of my clutter from around the 29K70, and set my Featherweight hand crank down off of it before I took the photo so it wouldn’t blend in making folks wonder what it was. It sets nicely on the drop-down portion of the big stand, and gives a nice contrast of the size difference of my two hand-crankable machines. And I have no excuse for not hiding my “jugs” before taking the photo....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine140_18.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I’m not sure that your machine had the balance wheel “Handle”, “Spindle”, & “Nut” on it. I’m not sure when they were added to the model 29. My machine is a later model (1943), so it’s over 30 years younger. The handle is a wooden knob with a bolt through it that screws into a threaded hole on the wheel, and has a jam nut for the back side to keep the bolt tight but allow the knob to spin on the “spindle”. My other 29K70 machine doesn’t have one on it, although it has the threaded hole for one. I find that I never use the handle, maybe because I’m used to grabbing the rim of the wheel.

Also, I certainly don’t want to distract from your other machine! I have an Eastlake treadle similar to yours that I bought containing a 1900 version of the same model of machine in it as yours. The inside of the pillar and upper arm had been stuffed full of pecans by some varmint, and it took forever to get all of them back out. LOL! They were stuffed in there like a puzzle! I put a model 66 machine in the cabinet and loaned it to the local museum for an interactive treadle machine that visitors can try their hand (or foot) at treadling a sewing machine. I think it’s one of Singer’s nicest looking cabinets.

Thanks for the compliment on my wife’s Twister wall hanging. She loves to quilt. I really should have removed some of my clutter from around the 29K70, and set my Featherweight hand crank down off of it before I took the photo so it wouldn’t blend in making folks wonder what it was. It sets nicely on the drop-down portion of the big stand, and gives a nice contrast of the size difference of my two hand-crankable machines. And I have no excuse for not hiding my “jugs” before taking the photo....

CD in Oklahoma
Yes, I noticed your jugs too.

According to the ISMACS website, Stanley was one of 2500 hundred machines allotted on Apr 4, 1911. Perhaps the hand wheel was a later add-on. From the info I have found on the Internet, the hand wheel helped fine tune the stitches. When the weather warms up I will take some more closeup photos. Tooo cold out in the garage to work right now. Today we are having a heat wave, it is up to 30 degrees.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM

I just found out today that the Singer I inherited from my stepmother is a 1922 Sphinx. And I have a Singer 201 coming that I won on ebay. Very excited about both machines. I love how the old Singers look. And can't wait to try them both out.