What a beautiful machine!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have one you can have...
Miriam I think that's a machine only a man could love.

Cari
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post

Cari
Well DUH..........
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Sort of looks like a kitchen mixer. The emblem is placed as if on front quarter panel of an automobile. How does yours sew?
You mean they're supposed to sew? Heck, I don't know. I just buy them and clean them up and admire them.

Seriously, I used the Necchi Solution (90% kerosene/10% sewing machine oil) and got it freed up, polished the brightwork, replaced the tires (winder and pulley) and it runs. It's known as a rough runner and it's loud but it can sew through anything:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489567[/ATTACH]

(The pic was taken before I had purchased and replaced the tires.) I need to tighten the winder mechanism slightly and completely clean the bobbin area, probably with a kerosene bath. The machine was covered in oil varnish and smoker's haze. Still, for $3.99 it was a great purchase.

I think I'm not vintage enough for the Quilting Board. Most folks here are into the really old machines whereas I like the later but still all-metal, mid-century machines. Kenmores (obviously) are my favorites. Here's another Kenmore that is really cool (made in Germany by Gritzner-Kayser, of which there were Gritzner/Domestic/White/Kenmore models):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489568[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489569[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1010030-2-640x480-.jpg   gritznerkenmorefront-800x600-.jpg   p1010042-800x600-.jpg  
Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
You mean they're supposed to sew? Heck, I don't know. I just buy them and clean them up and admire them.

I think I'm not vintage enough for the Quilting Board. Most folks here are into the really old machines whereas I like the later but still all-metal, mid-century machines. Kenmores (obviously) are my favorites. Here's another Kenmore that is really cool (made in Germany by Gritzner-Kayser, of which there were Gritzner/Domestic/White/Kenmore models):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489568[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489569[/ATTACH]
I understand completely as I'm a mid century person too only my focus is the Brother built machines instead of Kenmores. I think it's great that there are so many people here with different interests in the old machines. BTW, that black Kennie is gorgeous.

Cari
Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 AM

You're both in the right place. I know I like the mid century stuff and I know others here do too. KenmoreRulesAll I would really like to know where you shop. You keep showing great machines like that double tension Kenmore that I just never see. My machine purchases tend to be very low budget and opportunistic. My usual finds are the dime a dozen stuff like the boring white stuff of the mid 70s. I just haven't ran across the right machine at the right price and the right time to buy any good examples of a mid century machine yet. The closest I have is my white and blue two tone White basketcase.

On a completely unrelated note there's enough of us in the Puget Sound/NorthWest area some type of get together might be fun.
Rodney
Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Actually I like that style of White and Kenmore, especially with the bullet shaped cover on the hand wheel. They may not be for everybody but who cares? White came up with some really different designs over the years.
Heres one I found from possumjimandelizabeth.com. I hope they don't mind my borrowing it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489488[/ATTACH]
Here's a link to their site where you can see more.
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...ng_white2.html
Rodney
One for sale on eBay as of yesterday. I asked the seller what was under the waffle lid. ... That is how you change the lightbulb.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
On a completely unrelated note there's enough of us in the Puget Sound/NorthWest area some type of get together might be fun.
Rodney
Sounds like fun, maybe you should start a new thread.

Cari
Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Cari
Welllllll, After giving birth to nine children I think I might not be a man?! I DO also like the pretty lavender blingy machines, too. Ugh! Is this what they call a gender crisis? Miriam, thanks for the offer, but I can't start adding to what I just purchased (treadle) and the electric 60's with cams I am looking for (the latter has to be pretty low priced as the former got the bucks.) I will probably wake up in a cold sweat that I turned it down, only to fall back asleep and have dreams of everything in my life is that machine.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM

I understand completely as I'm a mid century person too only my focus is the Brother built machines instead of Kenmores. I think it's great that there are so many people here with different interests in the old machines. BTW, that black Kennie is gorgeous.

Cari
Did you obtain this machine in this condition or did you restore it? Gorgeous.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM

On the sleek, black Kenmore what are the two knobs next to the left of "Kenmore"?

As to "You mean we are suppose to sew......." I would seriously like to have an entire wall all sewing machines, tightly packed and going in all different directions. That is my idea of art. Room dividers built with sewing machines would be cool, too; especially if all different colors and bling from the sixties.