Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: what is your ultimate must have machine for your collection?

I'm not sure I have an ultimate must have machine. There are more than a few on the "want" list. I still want a few examples of earlier electric conversions for my "History of Electric Sewing Machines" display and there are a few older machines that I just plain like the looks of. The Free art nouvaeu Peacock machine is one and the Franklin Scarab pattern machine is another. I like anything with MOP too.
    White had some really funky Art Deco designs that I really like as well under their own name and as some of their badged machines.
    A patcher would be nice too though I doubt I would use it much.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I always see machines I would love to own, but I don't have the space to collect like I'd LIKE to. My house is full and I can't afford commercial space or land like some of you lucky people have.

I'm interested in the engineering changes in the machines, so if I had the space to really go nuts I'd probably be trying to put together a collection that demonstrated the evolution of the technology. That would be really cool and a lot of fun to learn all about and put together; could probably spend a lifetime trying to fill in all the details.

But I don't have anything like that kind of space, so I'm not really looking for anything at the moment. I wanted a Rocketeer badly for a long time and now I have a good one so I pretty much already have what I REALLY wanted.

I'd love to get a large throat sit-down quilter like a Sweet 16 some day. But again...space. And that's not really for a collection, that's just for practical purposes.

Junior Member Freaky_Quilts_Dragon's Avatar
    If space and money wheren't really an issue, I'd love to collect many different types of machines, ones using different types of shuttles and feet and needles etc. and build, find, and test parts for them. I'd own or have access to a great machine shop too, even be able to cast iron and steel, so I could make replacement parts and publish the specifications on how to make them.

There's going to be a time when we run out of original shuttles, needle clamps, etc. for our lovelies, and I'd like to have the info on how to keep them running for generations to come. Not just in the name of preserving history, but, for me, it'd be even more about empowering others so they can make their own choices because you don't really have a choice if you don't have spare parts.
    I love and respect everything with all my heart and soul, because everything is sacred, and deserving of love and respect.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BraveNewCraft?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count"

back in 2013, my "Must Have" was a Grover and Baker. I have now done the catch and release on 4 of them.... I am still searching for one now, but only a nice looking head for a double chain-stitch machine.

My #1 must have has still eluded me. I was even given a bag of parts for one, hoping it would "bait" the rest, but so far no joy. I am looking for a Singer 46K1

Here is a link to one in the Victoria museum collection - - http://museumvictoria.com.au/collect...6k-singer-1917

That particular one was made later than my collection time-frame, but I would not care if I found one. This was a machine made specifically for sewing ladies gloves.

Steve, that's a beautiful machine!

Jeanette

Wow Steve, I can see why you want one. It's so small too. I'm sure it's been mistaken for a child's sewing machine.
    I love and respect everything with all my heart and soul, because everything is sacred, and deserving of love and respect.

I have "this much" of one...
    Name:  20140914_102742_sm.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  49.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I have "this much" of one...
    Name:  20140914_102742_sm.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  49.6 KB
    There HAS to be a story here!
    Christy
    Starting the year out fresh

sheesh SteveH you are but a sand casting session away !
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    sheesh SteveH you are but a sand casting session away !
    Or 3-D Printer I sure would like to print me up a few of my favorites. Maybe some day.

Jon

Jon - LOL, it would be cheaper to hand form one than 3d print it at this point.

Greyfuuf - well, master carving, mold making, sand casting, machining, but yea....

oh I forgot about all them pesky forged shafts and such .....
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

I finally splurged and bought myself a Singer 431G. Itís been at the top of my ďWant ListĒ for a long time. Since Iím not getting any younger, and figured that if I wanted one Iíd better get on the ball and get one, so I bought this one.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Blog Entries
    DC, what did you do? Win the lottery?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I'm not into electric machines, but that one is pretty cool!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    DC, what did you do? Win the lottery?
    No, just went goofy....

DC in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I'm not into electric machines, but that one is pretty cool!!!!
    Thanks Steve. Iím tickled to have it. Iíve been looking it over, and itís interesting how much itís like a 401A, and then on the other hand, how different it is from a 401A. Itís my most expensive sewing machine to date, but it had $100 worth of packing time and materials put into it to get it here without so much as a bent spool pin. (Of course, I popped one off while I was fiddling with it on my bench. I can get it back on.)

The machine was double-boxed using multiple thicknesses of sheet Styrofoam and minimal bubble wrap, and the case top double-boxed separately the same way. It couldnít wiggle a bit. I didnít think Iíd ever get everything unwrapped to see it. Itís over-lubricated, but thatís about all that Iíve seen wrong with it so far, and it sews fine. One of the needle plate spring pins has a chunk missing (one out of four ďtabsĒ), but I think thatís fairly common with these machines. Itís more quite running than any of our 401A machines. It has a sound of its own. Itís the 110VAC model.

Now all I need is a Singer 421G, a 411G, and a couple of other Gees to give me a pretty nice Singer 400 Slant Needle collection. My collection has now reached the expensive models for new additions....

CD in Oklahoma

ThayerRags Fabric Center

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    No, just went goofy....

DC in Oklahoma
    OK dyslexic - right
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I begin teaching my niece to sew when she was 7. She's 32 now, and along with working full time; going to college, and raising two children, she wants to sew again. Before she buys some plastic doo-dad; I hope to find her a primed-and-ready Singer 201. When she's up to snuff with that, she can then get herself what ever she wants.

This last Christmas she made the cutest doggie-themed stockings, all by hand, for some friends.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

-1974 Singer 252 Fashion Mate; 1954 Singer 15-91;
    1952 Pfaff 130-6; Bernina 230PE, and Pfaff Serger 4874.

Featherweight 222...
    Lynn

I ACTUALLY GOT IT!!! I found a 15-30 with Tiffany decals in a drawing room cabinet. The bed decals are practically non-existent but the rest of them are pretty decent. The cabinet is similar to a 21 cabinet, but the doors on the sides isn't full height. I thought I had a picture of the cabinet that I took, but can't find it right now - or maybe I didn't take it. I know that the belt is not the right size and I do have the bobbin winder-belt cover....more later but it does work. I actually made a quick cover for it so I can leave it up. It needs some other cleaning, polishing, parts.
    Name:  TiffanyBed.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  78.0 KB Name:  TiffanyInUse.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  63.6 KB
    I'll post more about it later (yes, with pictures ) as I found some other unique (to me) things with it.

Janey -- Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Those are some of the best Singer patterns and worn away as though someone was rolling up a lot of quilts through the machine already.
    Kenmore: 158.14001 (still seeking its perfect name), 158.17011 ("Enterprise")

When it rains, it pours....

After picking up a three machines on my ďWant ListĒ in the past 30 days, a couple of them kind of expensive, wouldnít you know it, I have now found another. Financially, I could have made good use of one of those ďdry spellsĒ that I always seem to get from time to time when I canít find any machines at all for months.

Iíve been looking for a Singer Industrial Walking Foot machine that is a type that originally came out as a treadle-operated machine. I donít really have a NEED for one, but I would like to have one to play with. There are two or three different models that could fit the bill. Well, yesterday, I went and looked at one that has been living within a few miles of me for several years, and would fit the bill perfectly. Itís in an old power stand, but I want to put it in an industrial treadle stand (foot-power).

I donít know the price yet. The owner told me to tell him what itís worth. (I always get a kick out of folks wanting a Buyer to do an appraisal for them. It seems to me like that would be counter-productive.)

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    When it rains, it pours....

After picking up a three machines on my ďWant ListĒ in the past 30 days, a couple of them kind of expensive, wouldnít you know it, I have now found another. Financially, I could have made good use of one of those ďdry spellsĒ that I always seem to get from time to time when I canít find any machines at all for months.

Iíve been looking for a Singer Industrial Walking Foot machine that is a type that originally came out as a treadle-operated machine. I donít really have a NEED for one, but I would like to have one to play with. There are two or three different models that could fit the bill. Well, yesterday, I went and looked at one that has been living within a few miles of me for several years, and would fit the bill perfectly. Itís in an old power stand, but I want to put it in an industrial treadle stand (foot-power).

I donít know the price yet. The owner told me to tell him what itís worth. (I always get a kick out of folks wanting a Buyer to do an appraisal for them. It seems to me like that would be counter-productive.)

CD in Oklahoma
    Definitely a little counter-intuitive. The only big sticking points I can see is if you give them a range - e.g. $250 to $350 - and they insist on the higher end. Or they don't believe you and ask for more.

I do get the impression that you are *the* old sewing machine expert in the area as well as *the* old sewing machine buyer in the area. I can see where the seller is between a rock and a hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
    ...I can see where the seller is between a rock and a hard place.
    I’m not against giving free appraisals, as long as I’m not negotiating for the lowest price that I have to pay for something that I want. It’s a conflict of interest.

I just called him back a few minutes ago and gave him all of the Singer information about his machine that I had researched last night and this morning. I told him everything that I found about it, except the prices that I could find, which were all over the place as usual. His machine has some missing parts, and I even told him that they would be hard to source from what I had found. I asked him three more times for a price or a price range, and all he would tell me is that he knows what he gave for it several years ago, and wanted me to make an offer on it.

Neither the price that he gave for it then, nor the offer I might make for it now, will be of much real importance. It’s what he has to have for it now that’s important, and he won’t tell me. If I make an offer, and he thinks I’m low-balling him, I’ve insulted a good customer. I didn’t make an offer, and so for now, I’ve pretty much written that machine off. Bummer.

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast