Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's on your Vintage Wishlist?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebearquiltingboard View Post
    On my wish list is an aluminium Singer 201K. I would love a 301 but we don't have them here in the UK.

I hope you find what you are looking for soon.

Clare
    I can cross the aluminium Singer 201K29 off my wishlist now. I have had a good run on ebay this weekend!
    Last edited by Littlebearquiltingboard; 12-16-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

My wish list would include a new Brother and more FW's to cozy up to the 5 (and a 301) that I have. My hubby says buy as many as you want - but where to put them?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    I'd like a Featherweight cabinet and a 222 Featherweight. Both are practically non existent in this part of Ontario. I've seen a couple for sale on Kijiji at very high prices so both are likely to stay on my wish list.
    Hey Shelbie, what's "very high prices" there for a 222? The 3 I've seen here were $500 - $1300. The $500 was the one that got away, so it's firmly on my wishlist now. $800 - $1000 seems to be the going rate here though.

Quote Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
    Shelbie I like your wish list...mine would be the same...I would even settle for a cheap 221. Not sure if that exists.
    What's "cheap"? I got one for $95, but I feel that it's a re-painter. If you're better at touching paint up than I am, you could probably have fixed what I chose to strip. The secret I've found is you have to look at all of the ads where the seller couldn't be bothered to figure out what it was. The $95 one was advertised in Kijiji as a "small sewing machine". It didn't sew when I got it either, so it did require some work, but it was easy work.

I do all my sewing on vintage machines, and I have a nice collection. Among them: 2 Singer 301s that I use often, Singer 401, Singer 500, 2 Singer 221 Featherweights, 2 Singer 201s, Singer 15-91, Singer 99, Singer 127 1906 Treadle, New Home 1912 Treadle, two Model 15 clones, Elna Grasshopper, another Elna, Pfaff 1171, Pfaff 130, Bernina 1040 (?), 2 Necchi Super Novas. Some I bought, some I was given, some I took in as trade (I am a certified sewing machine mechanic), some I resurrected from the dead, some were given to me because I make many quilts for homeless families and teach others to do the same. I use all of them, giving each it's turn. I maintain all of them and they are well cared for.

Before I was forced into an early retirement by the economy, I also got many of the "fiddlies" or attachments that go with them. One thing I do not have and would like, but isn't in the budget now, is a "Penguin" walking foot. That's the original black walking foot that goes with the early short-shank machines.

Cricket

I have a 201 in an art deco mahagony finish cabinet and a singer 4 drawer red eye treadle that I wish I could send to you who are wishing for them! I am downsizing machines and house in 2013. The only vintage machine I will be keeping is my Jones handcrank. (Jones is my last name, couldnt part with it!) I hope you ALL get your wishes this year!

I have an Elna Super 62C that is the love of my life. It and I have been through just about everything from tonneau covers to antique lace shirts. Never a hiccup, forget a glitch, until some gear in the cam stack gave up the ghost Christmas 2010. The Elna dealer tells me I need a new cam stack - the whole thing, and Elna is not supporting that machine in the US for either repair or parts. P

The manager of the Elna repair/parts center in the US tells me the above and goes on to put the icing on the cake: There isn't even a repair manual for that machine at the center in the US.

I have the name and address of the gentleman who is the president of Elna corporation and, if forced, will write that letter and hope for an answer. BUT, if someone just happens to have a complete cam stack, I know where there is a machine that would be thrilled. She MUST miss me as much as I miss her. I have a wonderful dealer who can do magnificent transplants. An aside: To my knowledge he has not tried hearts yet.

I have kept my eyes out for a couple of years now and cannot find a donor machine, a part, etc. that can be depended upon to work. My computer has gone to the parts supply sites so often that all I have to do is whisper "cam stack" and off we go in alpha order. I am going to keep looking.

The other vintage machines that have lowered themselves to share my sewing room with me all are magnificent machines. They just do not have the feel and response of my elderly Elna mechanical machine. I am trying hard to love them, but ....

I WANT MY ELNA. Sniff.

Thank you for holding my hand. If you know where to find ....

Happy Holidays,

Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
    I have an Elna Super 62C that is the love of my life. It and I have been through just about everything from tonneau covers to antique lace shirts. Never a hiccup, forget a glitch, until some gear in the cam stack gave up the ghost Christmas 2010. The Elna dealer tells me I need a new cam stack - the whole thing, and Elna is not supporting that machine in the US for either repair or parts. P

The manager of the Elna repair/parts center in the US tells me the above and goes on to put the icing on the cake: There isn't even a repair manual for that machine at the center in the US.

I have the name and address of the gentleman who is the president of Elna corporation and, if forced, will write that letter and hope for an answer. BUT, if someone just happens to have a complete cam stack, I know where there is a machine that would be thrilled. She MUST miss me as much as I miss her. I have a wonderful dealer who can do magnificent transplants. An aside: To my knowledge he has not tried hearts yet.

I have kept my eyes out for a couple of years now and cannot find a donor machine, a part, etc. that can be depended upon to work. My computer has gone to the parts supply sites so often that all I have to do is whisper "cam stack" and off we go in alpha order. I am going to keep looking.

The other vintage machines that have lowered themselves to share my sewing room with me all are magnificent machines. They just do not have the feel and response of my elderly Elna mechanical machine. I am trying hard to love them, but ....

I WANT MY ELNA. Sniff.

Thank you for holding my hand. If you know where to find ....

Happy Holidays,

Pat
    I found the gear on line for about $15 - why does it need the whole camstack?
    You might consider taking Ray White's class or buy a different Elna and keep your accessories and disks.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    I have a blue million sewing machines currently not in usable condition in my hideaway spot in my sewing room. I am not sure I can get to it before Christmas, but I am sure that I have two older Elnas under there, and will check and get back to you sometime after the first of the year (if I don't forget). Now someone needs to tell me how to "archive" this thought, so when I think of it again, I can find it without going through all our postings since I joined this board. And if you are really desperate, tell me so, and I'll make my son go out there and dig.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

My Wishlist....

An aluminum 201 for Heather
    A fiddle based machine (preferred handcrank)
    A civil war years manufactured machine

My wish recently came true when I found a Rocketeer in perfect condition with 24 cams!! Life is good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    My wish recently came true when I found a Rocketeer in perfect condition with 24 cams!! Life is good!
    My wish is to buy out another hoarder... LOL

Dear Santa,
    Please bring some Vintage Time to go with my vintage machines.
    Thank you.
    Kay

p.s. I'll leave you some sewing machine shaped cookies under the tree. . .

[QUOTE=qltgrose;5724621]I have a 201 in an art deco mahagony finish cabinet and a singer 4 drawer red eye treadle that I wish I could send to you who are wishing for them! I am downsizing machines and house in 2013. The only vintage machine I will be keeping is my Jones handcrank. (Jones is my last name, couldnt part with it!) I hope you ALL get your wishes this year![/QUOTE

I have a 201k treadle that was my very first people powered machine, originally it was a hand crank.

For my wish list I'd like these: a White Rotary treadle; or maybe a Singer clone in a blue,green or hot pink color, I have mostly black machines with fancy decals. Also a bigger house to store all my toys.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 12-17-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added text

Blog Entries
    I Jones handcrank with pretty decals for display. With rotator cuff issues in my right arm/shoulder, I won't be handcranking for a while.

w1315s, I have the machine you want, but mine has sewn everything I've asked since 1973 so she won't be leaving me.

Blog Entries
    Pat,

maybe Ray White might have a part?

http://whitesewingcenter.com/elnaparts.php

Has a Camstack drive listed on his site. Not sure what you need but he buys vintage Elna's so he may have a part?

For those folks who mentioned looking for a RedEye treadle/hand-crank head for a decent price....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/3482782340.html - $20

Ok, I want to add this to my list..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-31-15...item4d07b5b579

Miriam,

Please come visit my garage. VBG

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    My wish is to buy out another hoarder... LOL
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

Please come visit my garage. VBG

Cathy
    You BETCHA I would love it!!! You would like mine too...
    I've sold one or two lately though... LOL
    Doesn't anybody buy Kenmore machines and their cabinets...
    They seem perfectly good to me...

and Miriam, you'd better make it quick, cause I'm heading up to Mizkaki's this weekend..... muhahaha

(p.s. the Kenmore machines are safe from me)

Hi Steve,

I canít make out the serial number in the photo, I donít see it written in the description, and the Singer badge is missing (can see the holes where it HAD been), but it might even be a Centennial machine. I would say that the head, bench top, and treadle stand are all of different ages. Thatís just my guess.

I have a 1951 Singer 31-15 (AK443567) Centennial that Iíd like to get set up and running in my industrial treadle one of these days, but I just donít have the room for it right now. We had a 1936 Singer 96-40 in the treadle stand for a while (I had rigged a small electric motor on it for her in the photo below), and my wife experimented with FMQ on it, but I took too long to find a suitable FM foot for it. That, plus we ran out of room for it in our home, and she decided to start sending her large quilts out to a friend with a Long Arm. She does her smaller quilts on a Singer 301A (was mine, now itís hers, long story).

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Ok, I want to add this to my list.. (Singer 31-15 Treadle on that auction)
    I forgot to mention that I have a few machines on my Wish List.
    A Singer 401G or 411G that I can treadle, and a Singer 431 (401 Freearm).

I’m also keeping my eye out for an aluminum 99 and an aluminum 201.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

I'd like to find a really nice German treadle. That Kayser I found in Colorado is still for sale but she won't budge from her 500 price tag.

A Wheeler Wilson 8 treadle. I missed out on the one recently on Ebay. I made an offer for it but someone else made a higher offer by 10 bucks.

If funds were unlimited I'd like to have an Elias Howe machine, or pretty much anything from Civil War era.

I'd also like to have a Willcox & Gibbs, and a table/treadle for my industrial Singer head.

My Singer 24 treadle is coming home today, and I pick up my 29 after the first, which crossed 2 off my list

OK, a new singer is being added to my "Wishlist" (actually 4)

I just read about the "Singer Surgical Stitching Instrument"
    A3 - Standard size, Right Handed
    A4 - Standard size, LeftHanded
    A11 - Delicate size, Right Handed
    A12 - Delicate size, LeftHanded

On the hunt.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast