Where do you put your tools?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM

I have a sew steady table that fits my machine, and I put most of my tools under the sew steady table--on top of the table that the sewing machine rests on. Hope that makes sense. I find that if I keep putting my sissors in the same place, etc. they are easier to find. I also have the metal cabinet things that have the small plastic drawers, these usually go to the back and side of my machine. That way I have bobbins always easy to get to, light bulbs, presser feet, etc. My poor messy room belies my organization!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 AM

My stuff is all over the place - however this is what I use to keep my longarm stuff where it is needed.

It's a utensil tray for the kitchen, siliconed to two adjustable curtain rods. I bought the smaller containers seperatly, also from the Kitchen section of the Home Improvement store. This way I can grab something easier and take it to the other side of the frame if needed.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Great solution for a long arm setup.
Rodney
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 AM

For years I have used a Plano fishing tackle box. They come in many sizes and are adjustable. I find them at auctions and garage sales usually with "fishing stuff" in them.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
For years I have used a Plano fishing tackle box. They come in many sizes and are adjustable. I find them at auctions and garage sales usually with "fishing stuff" in them.
My main "sewing box" is a Plano fish tackle box, bought brand new 30 years ago. I've never found a "sewing" box that works as well as a "fishing" box. I am rarely in there now days, I should clean it out and see what has made it's way to the bottom LOL!!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 AM

Default Where do you put your tools?

Excellent question, and the older I get, the harder it is for me to remember!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
My main "sewing box" is a Plano fish tackle box, bought brand new 30 years ago. I've never found a "sewing" box that works as well as a "fishing" box. I am rarely in there now days, I should clean it out and see what has made it's way to the bottom LOL!!
When I can't find something I always have to go check my tackle box. That is where I keep all my quilting stuff. This new addiction is still spread out.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM

I have a fabric box with multiple pockets in it. It holds rulers, large shears, marking tools, packages on hand needles, extra scissors, expandable magnet for picking up pins on the floor. This sits to the right and back of my sewing machine. In front of that I have a plastic box that has the tools I need close at hand: screwdriver to change feet and needle, brush for the machine, extra bobbins, spool caps ,etc. Then right next to my machine I have a small 8 " X 10" cutting mat. My cone/spool holder sits on this as well as scissors, seam ripper, stiletto . This protects the wood surface of my cabinet and things all have their own place.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:45 PM

I pulled this old July 2014 discussion back up to give a “results” posting about the green plastic tote that I mentioned in my earlier post. I’m having good luck with the small tote for the tools that I need at every machine, wherever it’s at. But I also have divided my tools and supplies into different containers, and that has helped with the overload of things in my tote.

I use a variety of machines, and I have my spare needles, bobbins, and belting in an old “aluminum-looking” jewelry box that I bought at a yardsale. It’s about full of just those items, and it’s fairly large.

I put my belt pliers and “surplus tools” like spare scissors, screwdrivers, rulers, rotary cutter, and other tools that I seldom use but wanted to know where they were, in an old Peppermint Bark candy tin with lid. I can go dig through it if I need something unusual, or if I need a replacement (I’m hard on seam rippers, and tend to break the points off of them by pulling sideways instead of straight).

The small green tote then only has my favorite thread nips, seam ripper, scissors, hem gauge, brush, pin cushion, masking tape, needle threader/inserter, and an attachment box full of industrial feet and roller seam guides in it. Of course, it has my handcrank bobbin winder in it that I can wind bobbins for all of my machines with. It’s cast iron, so I keep a really close eye on that thing.

My thread cone stand, straight-edges, and large scissors reside on hooks on the Bike Shop wall.

I had been carrying my thread cones in the green tote, but I caught myself chunkin’ (Oklahoma terminology for throwing) my thread nips into the tote, and decided that I could damage the thread on a cone without noticing it, and it could come back to haunt me later. Thread and sharp instruments really don’t mix well anyway. And now that I’ve branched out into more thread sizes, I have more cones of different thread sizes. So, now I’m looking for a 4th container for just my thread spools and cones. I don’t want to put them on pegs on the wall, because thread needs to be protected from the sunlight. I’m looking for some kind of container. I have some of it in one of those “over-the-door” shoe storage things that my wife uses for her serger thread cones, but I need to get my thread out of there to keep from encroaching on her space. That storage thing is in a blind hallway with no windows, so it’s safe from sunlight.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails totes_01.jpg   totes_02.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 02:25 PM

I use an aluminum case for my tools and it can go to any machine I want to use. It looks like one of those make up cases that women use. It will transport anywhere. It has compartments tp hold oil and all the tools I will ever need.
Attached Thumbnails tool-box-001.jpg   tool-box-002.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter