Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White Rotary "FR" sewing machine about 1912/1913 >

White Rotary "FR" sewing machine about 1912/1913

White Rotary "FR" sewing machine about 1912/1913

Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Default White Rotary "FR" sewing machine about 1912/1913

My daughter and I went to an antique mall today and stuffed up under a bench is a head for a White Rotary sewing machine. I am sure it was once a treadle and then there are three holes in the back that I thought maybe someone had put an electric motor on it at one time. Currently, it has no cabinet, no bobbin, no feet, no needle, no manual etc.... Just the head. Wheel turns easily and the needle "shaft" does go up and down. They wanted $30 for it, but it is on sale this month for $21. I was/am looking for one to turn into a hand crank. It says on the cover plate to only use White needles. One question is, can needles be found for this machine. I don't need/want another machine that I can't get needles for. Have two of those now. Also is it just a standard treadle foot? Do you all think it is worth $21. I can't get the bobbin plate/cover to move, but I am sure with work I could. Don't think the missing bobbin would be a problem. I actually think I have one or two of those that came with a different machine.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Okay, that probably doesn't make sense. Does it just use standard treadle type feet?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

It may not use a standard hand crank if it does not have a sewing machine motor 'boss'
If it has a spoked wheel you can still hand crank it with a steering wheel spinner knob.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 AM

When you say "standard" feet. The answer is Yes and No. Older White Rotary takes something significantly different the Singer, however they are very, very easy to find on Ebay.

From a few pictures, it appears the FR has the the large nut that takes the flat top attachments - this was used on a lot of machines (other than Singer) so it's also a "standard" style at one time.

Griest sold sets for both rotary and vibrating shuttle machines - so if you buy a set, watch for that. The only difference is for the Shirring plate and underbraider that attach to the bed of the machine (often replacing the plates) all the feet are the same. If you are particular, you can find a box with the White name on it - but they usually cost more too.

This shows the Singer side clamp along with the other style - (please ignore that they are different feet).