White Rotary Sewing Machine

Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

Okay here I am, I dont know how this one slipped by me but it is absolutely gorgeous!!! The White sewing machines were a major player in the "Sewing Machine Wars" and they built a really nice reliable machine. When you use it you will see what true quality and American pride is. The machines nowadays do not hold a candle to these old girls.

The cabinet that you have is one of my faves hands down! I missed one not long ago on CL for $5 and I am still kicking myself for it.

I do not have much information on the Whites as I do the New Home, Singer, and Japanese makers.

But I am sure someone will step up and help you with dating the machine. Try going to the Smithsonian website and go through the vast landscape of information and you might make some really interesting discoveries.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...s/CF/index.cfm

Billy
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 AM

:mrgreen:
Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM

I have a mason, much like your white. White took over Mason after the death of Mason in 1916. Do you have a manual?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM

If you call Viking/Pfaff at 1-800-446-2333 and give them the serial #, they will give you the date. I called before for my White FR, and just this morning for my sister's FR. I was amazed at how quickly they retrieved the dates!

It's a really beautiful machine and I love the twigs cabinet!

more White info:
http://www.treadleon.net/whitesm/whites.html
Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM

I too have just come across one of these machines.My number is FR 2338055 on it I believe it was MFG. around 1913-1914 buy what I can find out so far. Anyone know any different? I even have several of the attachments for it.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Welcome aboard! I have a couple with the last patent date of 1913 on the bobbin cover plate. Some manufacturers kept the patent dates on their machines long after the patents expired but you would know that they weren't made before that date anyway. The teens or into the 20s would be a good guess based on the style of the cabinet-assuming it's the same as the machine at the beginning of the post. I can never remember who to call to get a date for White machines. It might be Singerco.com. I'm told they have manuals available for the old White Rotaries as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with it.
Rodney

Edit: Looks like the post above yours has the number listed.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-19-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: all caps
Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Default great machine.

I know White came to be in 1858 and made treadles til about 1920's. the electric sewing machine was invented in 1889 and there were treadles and electrics for a couple of decades at least after that. they quit making the black iron with ornate decals like these in the 1920's. this page has a phone # for White and you give them your machine's serial # and they'll tell you exactly how old it is. http://ismacs.net/faq.html#manufacture
Originally Posted by Sew-n-Sew View Post
Does anyone out there know about OLD sewing machines? I just got my grandma's White Rotary treadle sewing machine. I have no idea when she got it or how old it is, or whether it still works. Who can I have look at it to help me out? She was born in the 1890s.

White Rotary Sewing Machine 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109835[/ATTACH]

White Rotary Sewing Machine 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109836[/ATTACH]

White Rotary Sewing Machine 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109837[/ATTACH]

Last edited by monapause; 10-18-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Hey, all,

I realize I'm late to the party here, but I was wondering if there are any resources for cabinet parts? I have a White treadle sewing machine cabinet (sans the machine) I literally picked up off the street before the trash man came along. It does not have the 'WHITE' across the knee board, but it has these same drawer pulls, three of which are broken.

The cabinet is in really rough shape and I am thinking about replacing the veneer and cleaning it up, either restoration or renovation. It depends on if I can find matching drawer pulls (vintage or reproduction). Does anyone know if any resources??

Thanks!

Don
Old 07-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Banned

Don you'll probably get a better response if you check over at victoriansweatshop.com It's more active and I'm willing to bet that someone has parts.

Cari
Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Don you'll probably get a better response if you check over at victoriansweatshop.com It's more active and I'm willing to bet that someone has parts.

Cari

Thanks or the suggestion. I'll check them out.

Don