A White treadle

Old 06-28-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanks NZquilter, it sounds like regular needles will work. I will take one with me, oh I am starting to get excited. I have been looking for over a year. Don't know what the price is yet though.

Leon yours would be older than this one wouldn't it? Is it possible to find out the 'birth' year? The serial number looks like FR 49732.

I notice that some are marked White Rotary and some are White Family Rotary. Anyone know the difference?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:41 PM

That machine looks wonderful! I hope it works out for you. My treadle is a Damascus - made for Montgomery Wards back in 1925. It belonged to my great aunt May, and I believe she was the only one to use it. It sat for 50 years but still worked fine after I oiled it and got the new belt. I was going to buy a White Rotary from an antique store but the place literally closed up and moved over night. It was such a bizarre thing I was telling my grandmother about it and she asked me why would I buy a machine when she had 2. One Singer and the Damascus - I took the Damascus because she had the book to go with it. The wonderful part was in the drawers - there were 2 little containers with needles and quite a few bobbins. It's so fun to sew with it and I always say I get more exercise with it since you have to keep moving the treadle to keep it sewing.
Sure hope all works out for you.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:10 AM

Thread tensioner is not a deal breaker. Yes, mine is older style anyway. Your bobbins will be easier to find.

There is some woman... hmmm no idea who ...who is developing a White VSM database. If you find her number, she can help you with the date.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM

Google Katie Farmer, White sewing machines, and her info should pop up for you. I have restored several White treadles during my VSM journey. In fact, my hubby and I picked up a White treadle, and a Wheeler & Wilson #8 today.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:57 PM

yes thanks.. Katie is the White wizard (not Gandolf)
Old 06-30-2019, 06:22 PM

Haha! Yes, she is! She emailed me back earlier, and said my White is from 1917. I’m so excited to get her cleaned up.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:47 AM

KerieINStitches… Have you been to the VSM museum in Tulsa on Peoria? Fabulous vintage machines and many of there are available for playing on while you are there. Lots of volunteers have made it wonderful. WK Binger got it started and is quite a guide.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 AM

I have not gone yet, but I have a couple of machines there that I restored! I've heard it's unbelievable.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 AM

I gave them a Singer 115.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:08 PM

I often read threads and wonder what happened at the end. So, I did go and see it on Sunday. The cabinet does have a lot of damage that I don't know how you could fix. The machine was not threaded and neither of us knew how to do it so don't actually know if it works. The wheel turns, the needle does go up and down and the feed dogs move. She still didn't know what to ask for a price but she had done some checking and said they were now expensive. So the long and the short of this is I don't think I will be getting it.