Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who can I blame for my growing herd? >

Who can I blame for my growing herd?

Who can I blame for my growing herd?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 AM

3 years ago I bought my first FW (of 4), a 1937 that is my favorite FW, even if the decals are bad. I now own 16 Singers and a Minnesota A. My DH has gotten into it too. My prizes are my Centennial 201 and 221 (my birth year). I have 4, 301's, Black and beige long and short beds. I have a Spartan and a 99. I have 2 15-91's, DH bought the Centennial! The Rockteer is my latest purchase and now I am slowing down! The only thing I am looking for is the '40s era FW. I think we appreciate saving and loving these beauties so we can sew for ever!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:13 AM

I think I've kinda sorta narrowed down what I 'need' supposed to pick up a kenmore next weekend or the following week -84 I think - liked the history of it where white needed a zigzag so got this german company to make one..of course no cams and even more of course they're rare...a fotomatic (they look cool what can I say)..hot pink morse (same reason LOL!), 1946 fw in nice shape (my mom's birth year), that white selectronic looks cool...kenore 35 and maybe 47 (already have identical looking 48 but it's not pink...), maybe a few more handcranks/treadles that have floral decals or a 66 lotus..kinda think a 99 handcrank would be the cat's meow too as it's easy to do the bobbin and all that...and gosh it's hard to resist 15s and c lones and those cool machines for the 50s...so I still have a potential problem

also that same shop with the kenmore I plan to get has a singer 206 that's cool but so far I dont' have much interest for the price ($275 I think) and they did have a singer 404 and a 319 in that art deco cabinet but gosh $500?! not my dream machine and may see if friend of friend still has hers for sale...friend backed out since it was higher than she though but it was still reasonable.

I HAVE realized after wanting to start making simple clothing that I have a LOT of straight stitch machines set up ready to go! I only have one zigzag downstairs right now (other than my modern babylock) and it's a 401 that I' still fiddling with/oiling and figuring out...and only 1 set up upstairs (singer fashion mate 237 that was my mom's) and a 328 on a bookshelf upstairs that is probably ok to go for zigzag as I saw the cam already inside it). there are 2 others upstairs but the kenmore 48 still needs checking over (motor sorta sparks a bit but owner though it was from dust and so far that's all it's done no smell or fire or anything just haven't gotten back to messing with it though I plan to) and a 500 that needs oiling/running/going over.

so far my go-to ready-to-use vintage machines consist of straight stitchers - 201, 15s, 221, 301,99,and the pink atlas. the fashion mate 237 I've sewn with a little but am waiting for my ebay thread guide dohickey to arrive. Ithink I need to get some of these zigzaggers going (or invest in some pinking shears or figure out the zigzag attachent!)