Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who can I blame for my growing herd? >

Who can I blame for my growing herd?

Who can I blame for my growing herd?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 AM

I think I have you all beat!

I went for most of my life with two machines - regular and serge.

And after 25 years, bought a beat up 66 Red Eye treadle, which was used as an end table for several more years.

Then I got the idea to fix up that Red Eye . . . I think I've been "collecting" for a bit under three years now, and I've got around 150 of them. I'm trying very very hard NOT to bring anymore home unless they actually fit an open spot in the collection - instead of just fitting into any open spot on the floor.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:49 AM

Default Hooked??

If you think you may be hooked, just join ISMA. They have monthly meetings to help with the addiction!!

Soman2

The other Rodney
Old 08-18-2015, 05:06 AM

Why do we need to blame anybody? These vintage machines are the bomb!! I don't have a ton of them due to not having a lot of room but I love every one I have and I use them. I'm down to only collecting Singers because I can find parts but there are so many beautiful ones. I was at an auction last weekend where 2 vintage machines sold for $80 (Singer 99) and $190 (a cobbler's machine in working condition). Prices are going up here.

But my DH has suggested that I display my machines better now that he's seen the All Saints store in Seattle, Wa. How's this for beautiful vintage machines? And this picture is just a fraction of what they have displayed.
Attached Thumbnails all-saints.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 AM

I think you've just discovered what the rest of us here have. Old sewing machines are fun and interesting.

I will admit to being an enabler. I enjoy old sewing machines and sewing and encourage others to enjoy it too- to the point where I'm a 4-H leader for my daughter's sewing group and plan to do sewing projects with kids at our local library.
Rodney
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 PM

I think these old machines find me because they know I won't scrap them. Finally got the Kenmore 9411 working but the repair man was in agreement of the problem and he smothered it with oil I think which helped it to unseize.
Will sew straight and now zig zag but not full working top button pattern Should be OK to take and leave for my charity sewing group at least. For some reason I fell in love with this machine. I'm over a dozen machines and hubby is loosing patience but this week was offered another old Singer --model ?.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Just think, these old machines don't eat and you don't have to clean up a barn after them and they don't rot. I say go for it!lol

My dh is the enabler in this house, he knows I can't resist. We have been collecting for years and enjoy them so much. Just think of the memories, running around finding cool machines, going to Toga's, my first one last weekend. Sure better than a lot of other things I can think of. With the added benefit of saving these for the future.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:33 AM

I've finally reached a saturation point - I definitely can't fit another cabinet into my house, and I have so many "distressed" machines in line for a turn on the "hospital table" that I am starting to feel burdened by my collection rather than excited by it. I have so much to work on and play with that I'm not looking for more....not that I don't immediately search for them if I happen to be at a thrift shop or garage sale, but I'm not looking on eBay or CL for now...

I'm up to 17 machines now, accumulated all but 1 (my first machine) within the past 2 years or so. Not too bad, I guess. About half of those need some sort of work right now. And I'm going to have to let go of my larger cabinet and the Kenmore that's in it, I think. I just don't have the room for it and I don't use it as much as I use some of the other machines that I'd like to set up in my "new" smaller Singer cabinet. It's too bad, I've fallen for that machine - it works great and I like the cabinet a lot, but I just can't find a place to keep it.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 AM

Sewnoma you sound a lot like me. I'm up around 20 machines after about 2 years of playing with them. The difference is I'm not ready to stop. Finances are the biggest roadblock for me. Probably a good thing or I would completely fill up the house. I do have a backlog of projects but I'm slowly working my way thru them. My goal is to have them all in some sort of cabinet or case and in sewing condition. A harder goal for me is to have them all easily accessible so I can sew with them whenever I want. I want to rotate from machine to machine as I choose so none of them sit so long that they freeze up again.

Thinning the herd is difficult for me too. I don't buy machines I don't like. I have managed to give a couple away and sold one though. It is nice to see a machine go to someone who will appreciate and enjoy it.
Rodney
Old 08-20-2015, 11:56 AM

i have about 20++ machines, and i've cleaned/fixed (in one way or the other)/oiled and cabinets rehabbed all of them. i also have repotted 15-91 motor and a 201 motor (which i intend to keep). out of those 20++ or so machines, i only sold one - a 15-91 that my neighbor loved and liked so much the moment she saw it. can't say no to her so i sold it. other than that machine, they are all sitting all over my house (which my wife doesn't like). i have 3 white vintage machines ( 1 a treadle, 2 got for free) that i am not fond of and wanted to rehome. but working on these vintage machines is such a joy especially when you hear the motor running and the sound of the treadle is just something. brings back old memories when i was 12 years old and using my mom's singer sewing machine.

you can blame all of us to justify your sickness but aren't we all are in need of an intervention
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM

I was feeling pretty overwhelmed with my heard a couple of months ago but after a couple of college kids worked hard and cleared space I'm finding bits and pieces of time to sit down and play with different ones. thanks to making 'cheat sheets' and putting in the desk or near some I plan to use so I know which way to put the bobbin and which way to thread the needle it's a bit easier for me to pull out /down the ones I"m more familiar with and just sew (221, 301, atlas, 237, 15s...) my current fiddle with to learn machine is the 401 and I need to run it some more and put on a zigzag foot so I can play with the decorative stitches and see how they work.

I'm already planning to pick up anothr machine in a cabinet but wil have to really watch it with which machines I get after this one because there are some I want to get and it seems every time I see a 15 or clone I can't hardly walk away! but someone on a facebook group makes bases that are pretty so I could always save and invest in some bases and switch them out if they're interchangeable...already eyeballing one that looks cool for my 201 (though unfortunately the 201 is already in a decent base..figures huh?!)