Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You Can Say It, "I Told You So! " >

You Can Say It, "I Told You So! "

You Can Say It, "I Told You So! "

Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

The HC is cheaper anyway unless you go for the one JoAnn has!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:27 AM

I just finished cleaning up a 66 and putting a hand crank on it. Having a blast with it!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 PM

I just can't wrap my head around using a hand crank and needing my 2 hands to guide the fabric and sew straight. I had thought about returning it to it's original glory as a treadle (I have the treadle cabinet and everything seems to be in working order) but my husband pointed out that I have enough trouble with my right hip as it is and I realized he is right. Just using the pedal on the sewing machine or driving for too long makes it act up. I am going to have to watch some videos of people using a hand crank to see how it's done.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 PM

How hard is it to find and attach a hand crank to a 66?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
How hard is it to find and attach a hand crank to a 66?
one bolt - so very easy
It is easy to guide the fabric left handed when the machine wants to go straight.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I just can't wrap my head around using a hand crank and needing my 2 hands to guide the fabric and sew straight. I had thought about returning it to it's original glory as a treadle (I have the treadle cabinet and everything seems to be in working order) but my husband pointed out that I have enough trouble with my right hip as it is and I realized he is right. Just using the pedal on the sewing machine or driving for too long makes it act up. I am going to have to watch some videos of people using a hand crank to see how it's done.
The old machine will want to sew straight so you can guide it easily with your left hand. You may find you sew better by just guiding with one hand. I've even sewed flat fell seams with my HC.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I just can't wrap my head around using a hand crank and needing my 2 hands to guide the fabric and sew straight. ...
Allow me...

When you use two hands, your left hand and right hand work together to keep the fabric tension in the front and back even. This is because you need to control the movement of the fabric while it is "paced" by the machine running when treadling or running an electric.

When you handcrank you have a direct tactile control of the "pull" of the fabric through the machine, so the left hand only has the maintain the front tension and steer. There is no need to control the back tension once the stitch is made.

Once I showed my Daughter that process, she dumped both of her electric machines and has done all of her sewing projects on her Singer 128 hand crank from then on.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Allow me...

When you use two hands, your left hand and right hand work together to keep the fabric tension in the front and back even. This is because you need to control the movement of the fabric while it is "paced" by the machine running when treadling or running an electric.

When you handcrank you have a direct tactile control of the "pull" of the fabric through the machine, so the left hand only has the maintain the front tension and steer. There is no need to control the back tension once the stitch is made.

Once I showed my Daughter that process, she dumped both of her electric machines and has done all of her sewing projects on her Singer 128 hand crank from then on.

Yep, definitely a good right arm workout.

Jon
Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Allow me...

That makes a heck of a lot of sense.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I think if you can learn to use a HC you will find that you are a better sewer anyway.