Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!? >

You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!?

You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!?

Old 12-25-2014, 04:10 AM

That is quite the adventure! I'm sure glad you saved this machine from that, it's a real sweet one. Non potted 201's are so very hard to come by in the USA.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:15 AM

Oh - and that last attachment is an underbraider, and it is all there. I love that double ended hemmer, have not seen one like that before.

Here is a video on how to use it - and notice that they use the quilting foot (without the guide) with the underbraider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIG9PEz4eE
Old 12-25-2014, 04:42 AM

Happy Birthday! Sure did your good deed by rescuing that machine.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:52 AM

Happy birthday and thanks for all the pictures too!
Old 12-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Oh - and that last attachment is an underbraider, and it is all there. I love that double ended hemmer, have not seen one like that before.

Here is a video on how to use it - and notice that they use the quilting foot (without the guide) with the underbraider.

Muv's videos are really helpful
Old 12-25-2014, 06:25 AM

Oh, my. An original hand crank singer 201. I wouldn't think twice about paying the full price. Singer 201 is one of my favorite machines so I would dearly love to find a HC one.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Yay...Happy Birthday!! Wow, that was some adventure and the ad was classic! Beautiful 201 and with a hand crank no less!! Fantastic!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Yes, I know what those brackets are for inside the cover. Mine has them, and they hold the Knee Control. When I got my machine, the knee control was laying around the machine. Good thing! I never would have thought to look under that cover, and would never figured out how to make the machine go. Then I looked at the manual and it showed where to find the knee control. So I put it back there.

I love that knee control. No continual feeling with my toe to find a foot control.

So does that mean my machine was once a crank, or does it mean yours might have been an electric. I think mine cam from 1924, and is a Singer 128.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:42 AM

Congrats on what will be a sweet 201 when you're done and Happy Birthday! Not sure I would have bought the machine under those conditions. I really don't like going into someone's house, especially a stranger's, when they're not home.

The case being the same probably means Singer built one case no matter which combination of features a machine had, the only exception being whether they installed a knee control or not. Sometimes it works out cheaper and easier to keep everything the same instead of having multiple lines depending on the features.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 12-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
That machine will perk - just don't do any scrubbing on it at all before you do his method. With the parts stripped off, you should do the Glenn's method of finish next.
That surprised me, Miriam. No more cleaning? I will read up on all of the threads and see if I can find some shellac.

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Sew glad you saved it from being in that house. I can relate. Some of the best things are picked up in places you could not live.

BA
If I'd thought the house was going to be that bad, I think I wouldn't have gone. I was wearing my nice jacket too! I suppose I should have had a clue by the way the machine looked.

That is quite the adventure! I'm sure glad you saved this machine from that, it's a real sweet one. Non potted 201's are so very hard to come by in the USA.
Definitely an adventure. I don't know why I even did it, I usually avoid situations that make me nervous, and for sure walking into an unlocked house is one that's not comfortable.

It's funny, The 201-3 is the most common here, I have trouble finding the potted motors. In all this time, I've only had 2 of them come across my bench. One 15-91 and one 201-2. Just like Red Eyes. I've only ever seen one in person.

Thanks Cathy! I will grab a part number off the double ended binder for you when I go down there. It was new to me as well. I watched Muv's video. Simple. I have an underbraider for the long bobbin machines and for some reason didn't recognise this one last night. I think I remember looking at it and thinking it was familiar though.

Originally Posted by 19cats View Post
Happy Birthday! Sure did your good deed by rescuing that machine.
That's what I said to DH. "It was a rescue, wasn't it?"

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Oh, my. An original hand crank singer 201. I wouldn't think twice about paying the full price. Singer 201 is one of my favorite machines so I would dearly love to find a HC one.
I would probably convert one if I had trouble finding one. It's so smooth after oiling and greasing! The only noise is from the hand crank. Probably a little louder with fabric and thread but so quiet! I think the bobbin winder is a little different because the tire rides on the high part of the handwheel just past the belt grove, instead of on the belt (for obvious reasons).

Originally Posted by Alawai View Post
Yay...Happy Birthday!! Wow, that was some adventure and the ad was classic! Beautiful 201 and with a hand crank no less!! Fantastic!
I'm sure I've read his ads before and said "no way!" but the new one for this machine didn't read this way. The one I posted was the old one. The machine dates to 1940, btw. Not his "I dunno, probably about 100 years Old?"

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Yes, I know what those brackets are for inside the cover. Mine has them, and they hold the Knee Control. When I got my machine, the knee control was laying around the machine. Good thing! I never would have thought to look under that cover, and would never figured out how to make the machine go. Then I looked at the manual and it showed where to find the knee control. So I put it back there.

I love that knee control. No continual feeling with my toe to find a foot control.

So does that mean my machine was once a crank, or does it mean yours might have been an electric. I think mine cam from 1924, and is a Singer 128.
Maviskw! Thanks for that! I Have a knee lever in the basement and I'll see if it fits! The machine that goes with that knee lever is a 1948 128 and the brackets to hold the lever are solid metal and shaped differently. It also holds the lever at the top of the case, so I must not have made the leap to the different location.

I suspect Rodney's right in that the cases were all made the same at the time.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Congrats on what will be a sweet 201 when you're done and Happy Birthday! Not sure I would have bought the machine under those conditions. I really don't like going into someone's house, especially a stranger's, when they're not home.
You know, I'd been thinking that someone was sure to be home - when we arrived there were lights on in the basement. I was really uncomfortable too. I feel weird enough when one of my computer clients leaves me at their house to step out to grab the kids or something. I'm not sure why I did it, unless the machine was calling to me.