"you sew too much"

Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
I was thinking about hunting for an older machine that uses cams. I have 2 Pfaffs that I love but neither have a lot of stitches but they are work horses, don't care what it is, they sew it. I bought one of the plastics for some decorative stitches and overcast stitch. It can't maintain the decorative stitches on thick things (like quilts). If I find one that takes cams, are the cams hard to get? Do you think a Kenmore is as good as a Singer?
If I had a choice it would be a Singer 403 or 503. Then get a clone just for fun.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 PM

I love my 15-91 but would love one that does decorating stitches!!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:20 PM

I have one plastic wonder, a Husqvarna Sapphire 875. I like it when its working right, but it can be very fussy. I sew most of my quilt tops with one of my 5 treadle machines. They aren't fussy, unless I thread them wrong or let the hand wheel go the wrong way. Two of my favorites are almost 100 years old and still sewing great.
Sharon
Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM

A friend's hubby is in computers and has told her that the new computerized sewing machines are extremely overpriced and is just so surprised how people don't hesitate to pay the prices!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:25 AM

I do have a machine that can do embroidery and one that can make ducks, stars and dogs along with other fancy stitches. But for straight stitching all my old girls do a much better job. And my 401 has built in cams and all but one of the other extra cams that can go with it. Even the other machines have an attachment to do zigzag and other fancy stitches. I wouldn't dare touch to first two to try to repair them, the 401 looks complicated to me inside , the older machines much less so, so few moving parts, down to the Minnesota that surprised me with the simplicity of it's moving parts - it looks like a couple rods and a shaft.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=J Miller;6427578]ragquilter,
I agree with Joe on this. My favorite vintage machine is an all steel Kenmore 1560 with a free arm. This hems jeans like they were quilting cotton.

I am trying to sell a Kenmore 158.1651 on CL right now. It is clean and serviced, has a new hook and a set of cams. I paid $30 for just the machine ("Works".... but did not sew), and have $50 into it, not to mention time. I have priced it at $50 and I doubt I will sell it. Most likely I'll have to give it away. NO market for old machines around here. Those who list them for hundreds are out of touch.

Are Kenmores as good as Singers? Yes. Especially the late 60s to late 70s machines. While Singer was going to plastic junque the Kenmores were still all steel. My Kenmore 158-15570 sews better patterns with it's cams than many of the Singers do. It's all metal except for the cams and sews quiet and smooth.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 AM

What does he know about sewing machines??? I wouldn't put much stock in his "opinion".
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
A friend's hubby is in computers and has told her that the new computerized sewing machines are extremely overpriced and is just so surprised how people don't hesitate to pay the prices!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 AM

It's a wonderful thing to wear out a sewing machine. It means that your family is likely wearing decent clothing, and your upholstery is looking good, your family is warm and cozy under assorted quilts, and the mending is done. I've worn out several machines and my husband has never complained about the cost of a new one because of all the good things that come out from under the foot of the machine.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
What does he know about sewing machines??? I wouldn't put much stock in his "opinion".
Of course, people are free to spend their money on whatever they want, but you don't have to know much about sewing machines to have an opinion that $8000-$12000 is a lot of money for a sewing machine, though they obviously aren't overpriced if folks are buying them.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 AM

I guess that's why they call it "disposable income", because we buy "disposable merchandise" with it.

The thing is, I do not believe in this. Perhaps it was the fact that I wasn't raised in a family with lots of money to spend. I saved, worked, wanted, dreamed and eventually got what I wanted. THEN I had to make it last cos replacing it in a few years cos it was junk was out of the question.

My mother used the same sewing machine for so long it's unbelievable by todays standards. She finally quit using it some 20 years ago not because the machine was worn out, but because she updated to a 70s vintage Kenmore ZZ machine.
I'm still using her original machine, and I know where the Kenmore is.

I find the idea of spending thousands of dollars on a fragile, hard to service, costly to repair machine simply outrageous. Especially when as Miriam said, any one of my vintage machines will out live any of the multi thousand dollar machines. All they need is a bit of cleaing and oil which anyone with an ounce of ability can do themselves.

Maybe that's why I consider myself an anachonism.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 11-29-2013 at 10:32 AM.