Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Well, this will teach me to be busy elsewhere today and last night...lots of posts! Thanks for much for sharing more tips about the quilting Lesley...Your border is going on so well...I'm so in love with your quilt. I want mine to move along faster but I have some other things I have to deal with...I really don't know "why" my DH thinks he must eat...and do it at least 2 times per day???!!! :shock:
Old 06-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, this will teach me to be busy elsewhere today and last night...lots of posts! Thanks for much for sharing more tips about the quilting Lesley...Your border is going on so well...I'm so in love with your quilt. I want mine to move along faster but I have some other things I have to deal with...I really don't know "why" my DH thinks he must eat...and do it at least 2 times per day???!!! :shock:
Get him to get his own, and some for you Patti! It's not much fun being dumped, but at least I only have to cook for one, and then when I want it, rather than when someone else does!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 AM

Okay, question for you gals. I have settled on the third option for my Blue and Orange DJ, but it also has some white in there. The different shades of blue are the background for all the blocks, and I was planning on having a different fabric for every orange block for interest. I am wondering what you would do if you were me on the white blocks? Should I have those all be different as well (but obviously the blue background would stay consistent), or should I have the whites all be the same fabric so the orange blocks pop out more?

Thanks!
Rachel
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I think I would use the same white throughout, but it doesn't have to be a plain one, perhaps a white on white, but with the same pattern all the way through. You have quite a few colour changes, but if some of your whites and less than white compared to others, I think they will look dirty, IMHO.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Lesley...although when I was coloring it to begin with I was thinking that I would use some white/orange prints of different scales so that it would appear that the color kind of "flows" from orange to white and vise -versa...does that make sense or is it just stupid?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 AM

I have a quarter inch foot which works wonderfully and is amazing. However, I don't use it when paper piecing, which is what I'm doing with most of the blocks. The DJ blocks are actually rather large compared to some of the stuff I'm starting to do, which are things like making a four patch that is only half an inch square, and my machine likes to eat those. YUM! Crunchy! ...GRRRRR...

My wrist is a tad embarrassing. I spanked my dog. I know, I know, the first image you get is of someone beating the crud out of a dog but it wasn't like that at all, honest! Cody keeps getting into the trash and eating my dirty kleenex. Okay, first off - EWWW! Second, that's just wrong. He's been at it for about a month now and usually my husband disciplines him (he rarely needs it; he's wonderful except for this kleenex thing) because I have a weak wrist. I shattered it about 5-6 years ago and it's never been the same since. Plus, back in the 90's a surgeon was snipping the sheath that holds the tendon and accidentally cut it off, so I have issues with the tendon too. To make a long story short, Cody got into my trash and I knew I needed to spank his butt or he wouldn't take me seriously enough to stop. Cody is a sweetheart but he's a solid dog and swatting his butt was like hitting concrete. Two swats and my wrist said I was done. Cody hasn't gotten into the trash since so I'm hoping it worked. If not, I'm going to just stuff all the trash cans on the counters and ignore the problem until I can replace them all with cans with lids.

Dumb dog. ... Dumb owner. :roll:
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 AM

I agree with Lesley...although when I was coloring it to begin with I was thinking that I would use some white/orange prints of different scales so that it would appear that the color kind of "flows" from orange to white and vise -versa...does that make sense or is it just stupid?
No it makes total sense! I will have to look around and see what I can find, maybe I can find a nice pattern that have a light orange with lots of white that will read as white when farther away ….. I was leaning towards one shade of WOW for the whites, and I agree, I think different shades of white may end up detracting from the already complicated pattern. Now that I know other people agree, I feel better about doing that!! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Tiff, sorry about your wrist - perhaps a rolled up magazine or newspaper might give extra swish without causing you damage? I've had carpal tunnel problems, so I can sympathsize on your tendon problem. Did you sue the surgeon? It sounds like carelessness to me.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by athenagwis
No it makes total sense! I will have to look around and see what I can find, maybe I can find a nice pattern that have a light orange with lots of white that will read as white when farther away ….. I was leaning towards one shade of WOW for the whites, and I agree, I think different shades of white may end up detracting from the already complicated pattern. Now that I know other people agree, I feel better about doing that!! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Nice idea, to find graduating fabrics that go from totally white through several prints to orange. Best of luck with your search Rachel.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM

I have been missing out, as I haven't read this thread in a while!!!

Lesley, your quilt is coming along beautifully!

Elle, I love the contrasting black blocks and your hand is lovely.

Rachel, I like the third option the best too!

Patti, your kitties look sooo funny. :lol: