Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Thanks to Kathy for hosting and coordinating and Lesley for her support!

I'm in for this one!!! I have the book and have decided to enlarge my blocks for 10" finished blocks. I am considering a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have a wonderful bundle of batiks, in my stash, that I purchased at a quilt show a couple years ago that are jumping up and down staying "use us, its our turn" :lol:

There is plenty of time to decide!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Thanks to Kathy for hosting and coordinating and Lesley for her support!

I'm in for this one!!! I have the book and have decided to enlarge my blocks for 10" finished blocks. I am considering a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have wonderful bundle of batiks, in my stash, that I purchased at a quilt show a couple years that are jumping up and down staying "use us, its our turn" :lol:

There is plenty of time to decide!
Both are nice ideas, Wil - make two LOL! I enlarged the blocks in the book by 142%, and they sit very nicely on my background (which I have cut into 11in squares for wiggle room to trim).
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Meredith...I'm so glad you reconsidered and are doing it! It will be hard to choose between the colors you are describing...both would be so pretty!

As for the embroidery...it looks like a lot of it is just a stem stitch...it is really not hard. I learned it when I was a teen and had to "decorate" my jeans. Remember those big flowers that everyone put on their jean legs?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM

I plan to buy some Razzle Dazzle thread for some of the embelishment. Oh, and I forgot to mention, mine will be machine appliqued! Also, I am planning to use Elmer's School Glue as suggested by Lesley. :D
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Since you are not actually starting till June, I would like to join in. I just ordered my book from Amazon and it should be here next week.
I am undecided whether to make my blocks the original size or larger. How do we enlarge the blocks?
I am going to make mine using batiks with a black background. I have never used black as a background, should be interesting!
Phyllis
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I will possibly chck in from time to time, but I have several other projects going right now, so I won't be making another heart quilt. But I saw the notice and avatar of a "Chocolate Jane" . Now that combines ideas of 2 quilts that I very much wanted to make. I have started Dear Jane several times, but can't get excited about my colors. But who could resist Chocolate. And the LQS 1/2 block from my apt has some beautiful chocolate fabric I am drooling over, and it goes on sale tomorrow. I think that may be inspiration meets perfect timing.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 AM

I am in then.

Kathy, thank you for hosting this and for all of your encouragement to the inexperienced. You too Leslie, I have long admired your work. Candi thanks for your encouragement. Barbara, what a beautiful quilt. I especially love your light border. It showcases your blocks so well.

Going to order my book today. I am planning to do black background with Kona. I have heard there are two Kona blacks. Not sure which one I will use.

I will try to learn the needle turn, Leslie, with your guidance and photos. I do like hand sewing but am not very nimble with my large fingers. Haven't decided on whether to do the embroidery by hand (I do simple embroidery almost every night and when traveling in the car) or use that beautiful Razzle Dazzle with couching. The sparkly would certainly set off the colors.

Forgot to mention I love and wear bright colors and have lots in my stash. The black should set those colors off very well.

Sewwww much to learn and such great company. Thank you everyone. :-D

Linda
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunrise450
Since you are not actually starting till June, I would like to join in. I just ordered my book from Amazon and it should be here next week.
I am undecided whether to make my blocks the original size or larger. How do we enlarge the blocks?
I am going to make mine using batiks with a black background. I have never used black as a background, should be interesting!
Phyllis
Sunrise, a photocopier will do the trick nicely for enlarging your blocks. Do you know what finished size you want them to be? and I'll work it out for you.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am in then.

Kathy, thank you for hosting this and for all of your encouragement to the inexperienced. You too Leslie, I have long admired your work. Candi thanks for your encouragement. Barbara, what a beautiful quilt. I especially love your light border. It showcases your blocks so well.

Going to order my book today. I am planning to do black background with Kona. I have heard there are two Kona blacks. Not sure which one I will use.

I will try to learn the needle turn, Leslie, with your guidance and photos. I do like hand sewing but am not very nimble with my large fingers. Haven't decided on whether to do the embroidery by hand (I do simple embroidery almost every night and when traveling in the car) or use that beautiful Razzle Dazzle with couching. The sparkly would certainly set off the colors.

Forgot to mention I love and wear bright colors and have lots in my stash. The black should set those colors off very well.

Sewwww much to learn and such great company. Thank you everyone. :-D

Linda
I have the ordinary Kona black (from Hancocks of Paducah, which is the best price I have found) I think there is a premium version, but I don't know where you would get that.

A little bit nearer the time, I thought I would do some samples of stitches, (hand and machine) etc i.e. various techniques that I will post so that you can all have a practice before getting started proper and decide which you will use in your particular quilt. Is that a good idea?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM

[quote=Lacelady]
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am in then.

A little bit nearer the time, I thought I would do some samples of stitches, (hand and machine) etc i.e. various techniques that I will post so that you can all have a practice before getting started proper and decide which you will use in your particular quilt. Is that a good idea?
Oh, yes Leslie, your idea of doing samples prior to the starting date is terrific. I am so thankful the starting date is in June. I am scheduled for left hip total replacement mid March. I predict I should be back at my sewing machine, etc. by end of April if not sooner. Sewwww, I will be ready.

PS: I didn't know that Amazon carries fabric, even Kona. Not sure how competive their prices are though.