Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks, Honchey for the fine words about my explanations...dh always said I never explained things very well, so I am always wiling to answer any questions. Laura's new book, I believe, is scheduled for release this fall is based on Bible verses. I hope some Bible stores as well, like the story of Ruth, and her block, perhaps. She mentioned it in her Blog.

Perhaps the best thing about these journeys made in the past, I think, is the companionship and help from everyone.and every question is answered with kindness and encouragement. Yes the PC 'discussion' is full of pictures, blocks and discussion and lot of exchanges of family news and listening to one another's daily life, trials and Mother Nature's fury in storms and hurricanes...floods...etc., all a part of life itself.The truest of true friendship with others along the way. Help and encouragement with each quilt project we each have done. . . . and/or planning to do.
It would take a bit of time to read all the words in this discussion, but you would get to know each of us better, Sewbizgirl. And see our blocks along the way and recipes, too. You could join in on the last 30 some blocks, then work backward on passed blocks along the way of FW 1930...we do two blocks a week. . . or try too.

Good night all, and to all a good night of peaceful sleep.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:14 PM

Sewbizgirl, I check in on this thread because some of the same people are participating in the FWS 30's weekly thread, where I'm trying to keep up and post my two finished blocks each week. I very much like the series of books by this author. Her excerpts from the FW magazine are quaint and fascinating to me to read and they often seem an encouragement, even though I'm not of the writer's generation and I live in a city. I also bought the PC book and started some blocks from it, but my first commitment is to the FWS 30's blocks and I'm not sure when I'll get back to sewing the PC ones. But, when I do, this thread seems a nice place to post pictures of them.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
Hi Sewbiz, Welcome to this thread or any of the other "FWS" Quiltalongs.. QNS has explained this group very well..We all learn from each other and encourage others to join the journeys. It's best to stay with the current one as some have said the other threads are hard to find and there aren't any photos of the blocks that have been made.
What book do you have or are getting?

Nina, what have you heard about the next book.. I'll have to find out.. maybe I'll email Laurie and ask her myself.
I don't have a book yet but I'm interested in the 1930's blocks. I'm going to quilt week at Paducah, so hopefully I can find it there.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 PM

Wow Jan! We had temps in the upper 80's yesterday & today they were in the mid 70's. Tomarrow it will be back up to the mid 80's again. It's a roller coaster, but a just a li'le one this time. The 2 weeks before Easter we had 3 or 4 days in the 80's. Then it dropped to the lower 50's w/rain for 2 days, then back up first to the 70's climbing to the mid 80's in just a couple of days.
Today DH & I unpacked the 6 boxes we brought. We also hung the small bookcase on the wall & I hung some more of my Doll Quilts's. While there is still some stuff on the trailer, we did get the raised bed frames off of it.
The plummer came again today & he felt that he only needed to do another wax ring. I sure hope that it works this time.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 PM

Welcome sewbizgirl! We love it when someone new comes here to post. Ya don't even have to make any of the FW quilts to talk here.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Welcome sewbizgirl! We love it when someone new comes here to post. Ya don't even have to make any of the FW quilts to talk here.
Thank you dublb... I do have one question. Are all of these FW blocks paper pieced? (You can tell I haven't even seen one of the books yet!)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 AM

Welcome, sewbizgirl! It's always nice to see new friends join in (such as Givio who has added so much to our little group). From your avatar I'm guessing you like FQs? I'm addicted to them. I've made the first 2 FWS quilts and I'm doing the FWS 1930s but otherwise I work small so FQs are perfect. Another friend on this thread, OKSewglad, got me hooked on minis but as a farmer she's super busy right now so hasn't been able to gab with us. That's the beauty of this group--no one has hard feelings, no drama (well except some exceptional incidents with family members LOL).

The FWS 1930s quilt along is another thread with lots of others . If I knew how to post a link I would. Honchey will come along and hopefully do that for you or go to Blocks of the Month section and scroll down. The books all offer different ways to piece: paperpiecing, templates, or strip piecing. All come with an easy to use CD to download all the patterns and techniques. And if you have questions, we're all here!

Bev, I'm so jealous--we're getting MORE bleeping snow tonight and tomorrow!!!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Jan, I did see that other thread. And the blocks I saw looked like pretty complicated paper piecing, which is why I asked. I'm so impressed that she gives several different ways to piece the blocks. Thanks for the welcome.

Oh, and my avatar... stole it from an email from Martingale, I think! I liked the rainbow.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 AM

Sewbizgirl, it makes me think of Jenny Beyer's $450.00 fat quarter bundle on my wish list. (Which will remain on the wish list until I win a big lotto; but I never buy a lotto ticket!) You could, of course, check for the FW 1930 Laura Aaron Hird book on Amazon.com and get a gently used book for less $$. It came out last May, so its a good chance that it is listed there with the CD in the book. She also has a web page, a blog, and a newsletter free of charge. She repeats some of the stories from the book on her emailed newsletter. We, who read her newsletter had the opportunity of getting an autographed book from her directly. I really treasure mine.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Happy belated birthday, Jeanie. What was I thinking to miss it.

Hi Sewbizgirl! I have learned so much on the FWS 1930's group. My dream was to learn to paper piece, and after jumping in not very long ago, I have had that dream come true. I bought my book cheaper on Amazon with the cd. I also put together a notebook as I think I heard QuiltingNinaSue do also. It helps me keep up with everything.

I have my coloring pencils and crayons to begin each block with that after I choose my fabric pieces. I color in the block design sheets with a color that looks the closest to what fabric I choose. I am amazed with each block at the little differences, and how they come together. It doesn't take a lot to make me happy.

Oh I just love reading the letters in the book that the ladies of that time talk about.

Everyone on here has been so kind, and very helpful. Such a wonderful group of sweet folks.

Me and Sewbizgirl were in a swap together once, and she is also such a sweet person.

Have a great day everyone!