Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 30 of 157 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

I didn't know Farrells was still around - used to go there when the kids were young for birthdays and stuff - haven't seen that name in years. Wasn't there something like a pig trough or something grossly too-much in a huge bowl?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    farrells ice cream zoo???never heard of it. Lordy, there's enough for everyone on the train, that's alot of ice cream and I like ice cream. Really do they have that or are you conning me ?
    Piecing, then quilting, with the North Wind blowing,
    The days go by quickly when I am sewing.

Clue 2 Done

Now on my way to the club car to check out the goodies. I will bring some jalapeno sausage, teriyaki sausage, cheese and crackers to snack on. May go well with some of Jaba's goodies.

The blocks on the left were my test blocks using the traditional method. Way too slow. So I studied Judy's method in the last picture, calculated the strip width and finished those half square triangles in a jiffy. It takes longer to square and trim the blocks than creating them.

I like the fact that Clue 3 will be posted next Saturday. It gives me a chance to complete the quilt top I am working on and perhaps I can finish quilting the first Mystery Train Quilt.

Have not seen the Quilt Inspector for a while. Sneaky thing that she is, she may be stowed away somewhere. Be on alert you all. She does prefer dark fabrics as her hair shows best on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    But now my new best friend is a strip tube ruler for making these half square triangles (second picture); they are never too small or too large - bottom picture.
    Ok, I want one of those rulers now. lol!
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Between the furkids, trying to make some really nummy soup and bread, I've only got the blocks cut out. I'll be sewing soon!
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reeskylr View Post
    Ok, I want one of those rulers now. lol!
    They really make 1/2 sq triangles a snap, only problem is that your edges are on the bias, not much of a problem if you are sewing them with a straight grain, but slow sweing if bias to bias when sewn. But it's the only way I do them now. I think I had to get the ruler at my LQS, as the local Joann doesn't carry them.

Blog Entries
    Okay...where's the beer? I'll throw in the pizza (will be going to get it in a few). I'm done with my HST's!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Doing mine this way also. What line did you use on your ruler on the sew line Judy and did you use the 7" strip with this method as well? I'm going out to purchase some different fabrics tomorrow so I can get started.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    They really make 1/2 sq triangles a snap, only problem is that your edges are on the bias, not much of a problem if you are sewing them with a straight grain, but slow sweing if bias to bias when sewn. But it's the only way I do them now. I think I had to get the ruler at my LQS, as the local Joann doesn't carry them.

I'm starting mine today. 2am clues a touch early for this old girl tried to stay up wrong.....
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

No, it wasn't a 7" strip, and I needed 3 WOF instead of 2 of each to sew together, cannot remember exactly how wide they were but think I cut my strips 5" wide then you sew with a 1/4" seam top and bottom. There is a bit of a learning curve to it, I didn't buy the book and the sheet that came with the ruler only showed how to cut from 2-1/2" strips. There is a line on the ruler that you put the seam line on, each line says what size block you will make, each size is a different width. If your strips are too wide, you get a funny notch out of the upcoming block or else have to do an extra cut to stay away from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauki1 View Post
    Doing mine this way also. What line did you use on your ruler on the sew line Judy and did you use the 7" strip with this method as well? I'm going out to purchase some different fabrics tomorrow so I can get started.

Very pretty blocks, labeelady

Page 30 of 157 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 80 130 ... LastLast