Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

OK I counted wrong. pix #5 is with the small white and double purple pieces. I shall disregard that photo LOL *big sigh* Retta

Quote Originally Posted by chefbwarner View Post
    I am confused now. what's wrong with pix #5. are the strips in the wrong order??? Are the lights supposed to be on each corner??? Maybe I'm making this more difficult, but the more I read, the more confused I get. Help please ??
    It looks like instead of three 2.5" strips, she used a 2.5 light and 5.5. dark. The strips should have 2 light outside and one dark inside -- the reverse of the strips cut on the right.

One of my fabrics is not full width. How many of each 9 patch combination are we supposed to end up with?

This train has happily avoided Storm Sandy. I am hopping off to collect quilts for the victims in Long Beach, on Long Island. Our QB friend, Krystyna, lost her home and much of her business. If you have a quilt you can part with, consider sending them to Krystyna's community. You can trust that it will comfort someone in need. I'm going to finish up my Mystery Train #1 tops and send my lovely Boom 6 project. I used to live on Long Beach, but now we are safe and warm in NYC. I will drive out to see Krystyna in a few weeks. Right now there is a gas shortage and power is stil out in a lot of homes! Let us count our blessings, Dotty

quilts from
    Dotty in NYC

was just checking in to see if the clue was posted yet. see it hasn't so back to doing laundry
    when DH gets home will be going out for sushi. Anybody want me to bring some back.
    Will be baking cookies later on.

Belfrybat - sorry again - guess I'm still not feeling too well. You will make six each of the two different fabric combinations of A B E and C D F. for a total of 12 blocks. The E and F colors will be in the outside corners, as shown in the pictures, and are the tradional 9-patch blocks that will be 6-1/2" sq

the bad Pix 5 shows a wider purple strip of fabric than of white fabric. All 3 strips should have been cut at 2-1/2". Follow the written instructions for the C-D-F fabrics on making a 9-patch block. Again, so sorry.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Grandma it was posted today a little after 9 a.m., it is post #694, go back a couple pages and you will find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaMary View Post
    was just checking in to see if the clue was posted yet. see it hasn't so back to doing laundry
    when DH gets home will be going out for sushi. Anybody want me to bring some back.
    Will be baking cookies later on.

I decided that I was going to make use my second boarding pass (it was Jaba's fault!) I have been wanting to use the purple pepper fabric for ages for something. It is an Alexander Henry fabric, Red Hot Chili Peppers, circa 1993, 7 yards, that I purchased from Goodwill over a year ago.

I may be shifting fabrics around a bit. But likely will keep the purple pepper and red together. The green and orange on the left are my EF fabrics. The orange is two different fabrics. Will gladly accept suggestions from my fellow travelers.

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Caroline S; 11-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Sweet Caroline

I cut my strips 2-1/2" wof, than I put strips together as noted in instructions. But when I sew my nine patch I get height 6-1/2" but my width is only 6". I checked all my seams and they are exactly 1/4". And yes when I cut off the sewn together strips in 2-1/2" pieces. I only put one block together and have the others cut and ready to sew for 9 patches. Do I need to cut all over again. Need help please as what to do?

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    My fault? Okay I like that chili fabric too!! and since you have plenty you can make 2 you naughty girl. I'll be watching for it at the end of our ride. I should still be on the train but if for some reason I'm not, I'll leave my address with you.

Blog Entries

OK, on a side note did y'all know that Alexander Henry main office and showroom is just a few blocks from me...well ok, 12 blocks.......and I have yet to go there....I understand that you can buy end of those big cardbord spools that they wind the bolts from for kinda cheap like by the pound.....so I will try to get over my shy self and go there and take pictures and stuff...I might be able to talk myself into this if i can convince myself it would be for the good of the group 'train buddies'......just thinking as i'm sewing.

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Oh my woman! What's the matter with you? All that new fabric, new colors, new designs. I'd be in heaven, it would be on my weekly agenda to go shop. Pound here, pound there, pound pound everywhere.....you even have my heart pounding a mile a minute here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    Oh my woman! What's the matter with you? All that new fabric, new colors, new designs. I'd be in heaven, it would be on my weekly agenda to go shop. Pound here, pound there, pound pound everywhere.....you even have my heart pounding a mile a minute here!!!
    Ditto here Jaba. I never considered counting stash by the pound instead of the yard. Don't know which method would be the most revealing.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Okay, here's what I came up with. I took fabric A and the piece from E&F that contrasted the most with A, constructed nine-patches with those two fabrics with the E/F fabric in the center and on the outside corners. Then I took fabric C (which is supposed to be the darker fabric) and made nine-patches with the other fabric from E/F, with the E/F fabric in the center.

Don't worry about having enough fabric. I had plenty and had even cut some blocks wrong.

You will be cutting 12 2-1/2" pieces from the longer strip combo and 6 2-1/2" pieces from the shorter one.
    Here's what finished 9-patches look like. I decided to change my red fabric out as it didn't have enough pizzazz.

Name:  Mystery9patch.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  141.2 KB
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
    Okay, here's what I came up with. I took fabric A and the piece from E&F that contrasted the most with A, constructed nine-patches with those two fabrics with the E/F fabric in the center and on the outside corners. Then I took fabric C (which is supposed to be the darker fabric) and made nine-patches with the other fabric from E/F, with the E/F fabric in the center.

Don't worry about having enough fabric. I had plenty and had even cut some blocks wrong.

You will be cutting 12 2-1/2" pieces from the longer strip combo and 6 2-1/2" pieces from the shorter one.
    Here's what finished 9-patches look like. I decided to change my red fabric out as it didn't have enough pizzazz.

Name:  Mystery9patch.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  141.2 KB
    Wow, those are beautiful.
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Moment of truth

I had ordered the ginger dotted fabric for "D" (first photo) and while waiting for it to arrive I found the teal fabric at my LQS (second photo) and decided to go with that. Then the ginger fabric was delivered and I think I might like it better. What do you think? I have enough of C to redo Clue #3.

Name:  QB Mystery Fabric2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  316.4 KB
    Name:  QB Mystery Fabric3.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  314.1 KB

I am liking the ginger dot fabric. More so than the teal.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by pbadder View Post
    I cut my strips 2-1/2" wof, than I put strips together as noted in instructions. But when I sew my nine patch I get height 6-1/2" but my width is only 6". I checked all my seams and they are exactly 1/4". And yes when I cut off the sewn together strips in 2-1/2" pieces. I only put one block together and have the others cut and ready to sew for 9 patches. Do I need to cut all over again. Need help please as what to do?
    That tends to happen to me when I make nine patches for some strange reason. The 3 strips sewn together are exactly 6-1/2" but the cut strips when sewn "lose" a 1/4". I've learned to compensate by cutting the already sewn strips with an extra 1/8" edge. Since your are all cut, how about trying to sew a scant-scant 1/4"? On my machine, I use two clicks to the right for regular scant 1/4", and 3 clicks for a scant-scant. And when you press them, pull on them a bit to get those seams extra flat.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Caroline. The ginger dots have it. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Dotty - that is wonderful, what you are doing. Hope you are able to stay warm and keep safe.

Caroline S - I worry about the 2 oranges being so close in color. Love the John Henry fabric, in fact love all his crazy prints.

pbadder - I'm stumped as to what went wrong. 2-1/2" strips sewn together then cut to 2-1/2" segments have to come out at 6-1/2". Are you sure your WOF peices were cut to 2-1/2"? Any suggestions for pbadder from the club car? Did you iron from the right side to make sure you didn't have any little pucker that would decresed your width?

labeelady - those blocks are beautiful -- and now you see why I said some of you may want to change your fabrics.

katybob - both are very nice combos, do which ever you like best!

I think belfry hit the nail on the head - I was probably typing my responses when she posted. I know that you need to be careful when pressing from the wrong side, and then to go back and from the front side, to press by pushing the iron towards the seam to get rid of any little pucker - those little puckers can add up to a lot.

Blog Entries
    katybob. would you lose too much in contrast if you dropped the white E and used the ginger in the blocks and the aqua for E - or visa versa? Those pretty colors want to all be used. I think I like the aqua as D and the ginger as E.

Blog Entries
    The discrepancy in the size after sewing lies in the measurement between the needle and the edge of the fabric. Although I have a 1/4" foot on my machine, the edge does not line up with the 1/4" marking on the machine itself. Therefore, my blocks are a tad off also. They are more than 6-1/4" but less than 6-1/2", so I guess the scant 1/4" will need to come into play especially on the machine I'm using. I could sit down and take out all the seams from the 12 nine-patches and resew, but I don't think it will matter that much in the long run.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Dotty - that is wonderful, what you are doing. Hope you are able to stay warm and keep safe.

Caroline S - I worry about the 2 oranges being so close in color. Love the John Henry fabric, in fact love all his crazy prints.

pbadder - I'm stumped as to what went wrong. 2-1/2" strips sewn together then cut to 2-1/2" segments have to come out at 6-1/2". Are you sure your WOF peices were cut to 2-1/2"? Any suggestions for pbadder from the club car? Did you iron from the right side to make sure you didn't have any little pucker that would decresed your width?

labeelady - those blocks are beautiful -- and now you see why I said some of you may want to change your fabrics.

katybob - both are very nice combos, do which ever you like best!
    Problem solved I made 6" squares with the ones that went wrong. I recut and made sure the 3 strips sewn together measured 6-1/2" and all mine nine patches are now a squared 6-1/2". Here they areName:  Mystery quilt Train Ride #3.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  1.18 MBThere are 6 of each total of 12 squares. Now to wait for the next instructions. It was only the a and e fabric ones that didn't measure up. But these look good and measure right now.

Good idea, Irishrose -- thank you! E is really more cream than white, but I get your point. I think there would be more contrast if the dark brown (F) went with A and B and the ginger (E) went with C and D (teal). There's almost no contrast between A and the ginger.

Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast