Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

sandpat 09-03-2011 05:16 AM

Karen, I trimmed all my tri's and my kites before doing any sewing together. I DID pretty much drench them with Best Press and pressed them prior to trimming, but then just sewed the tri border together....then attached a kite to each end (right and left) on the top and bottom borders. I attached the L and R tri borders to the quilt first, then I added the T and B....just like you do with regular borders.

Fabric Galore 09-03-2011 08:37 AM

Kathy, I met a quilter in N.C. years ago who did beautiful work. She had a double bed set up on blocks to make it higher. She spread her quilt on top of the bed and sat in a chair while she quilted. She moved her chair around the bed (no footboard) until she had the entire quilt done. I have not seen this manner before or since but it sure worked for her. My double bed has a brass foot board but I do have an old fashioned quilt frame my SIL made for me years ago. I use it to drape my batting and pin my blocks to it while I am designing a quilt and then I drape my quilt over the frame while I am quilting. I have a floor fan that keeps me cool.

KR 09-03-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Karen, I trimmed all my tri's and my kites before doing any sewing together. I DID pretty much drench them with Best Press and pressed them prior to trimming, but then just sewed the tri border together....then attached a kite to each end (right and left) on the top and bottom borders. I attached the L and R tri borders to the quilt first, then I added the T and B....just like you do with regular borders.

Thank you....that's kind of what I figured and I have been spray starching the Triangles before trimming to size. Then putting them away with minimal handling until time to put it all together.

Another question, ladies.....when assembling the rows of blocks, did you put them together row by row (with sashings, of course) or did you make 4- or 9-patches and then stitch those together? I know, neither comes out evenly, but since these are such small blocks, I'm thinking a row that's 5" x 65"ish could get wonky. Your voices of experience are welcome....many thanks!

sandpat 09-03-2011 01:01 PM

I did mine in rows...of course mine were all already hand quilted and had the batting and two sides of sashing attached. Lets see what someone says who didn't QAYG....

anyone??

(Oh, and I meant to tell you that the borders/kites came out just perfect! If you use the rulers (Dear Jane), and cut precisely, you should have no problems.

sewNso 09-03-2011 03:15 PM

i did mine in rows. like l, 2, 3. vertical. you can see mine. "jane top going together" that's why i started posting sooner. and sandpat put it in the 'jane' section. i did all my rows vertically of 4.5 blocks. then added the sashings between the rows. and i was scared like you, wondering if it was really going to work. and like sandpat said, it does work. just trust the directions and the squaring if you used the DJ rulers. and software.

Janstar 09-04-2011 11:05 AM

I used the QAYG method the same as Lacelady and Sandpat did and everything went together perfectly just like Patti said. By using the DJ rulers and cutting precisely it works great! It's exciting to hear about more DJs coming together!!!!!!!

Lacelady 09-04-2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
I used the QAYG method the same as Lacelady and Sandpat did and everything went together perfectly just like Patti said. By using the DJ rulers and cutting precisely it works great! It's exciting to hear about more DJs coming together!!!!!!!

This is good news! Well done ladies who are nearing the end.

I assembled mine in long vertical strips - it bugged me that you almost had to have every block made before you could actually get those strips together, because of the way the schedule was organised. I trimmed my corner tris as per the pattern, but my ordinary tris are larger by a quarter inch on both long sides, because I did bigger sashings than the pattern (3/4in, not 1/2in) It just means that my tris end in a 1/4in straight edge across where the point would normally be - trust me to be difficult, but I wanted my quilt to be a little bit bigger.

sewNso 09-12-2011 11:32 AM

sept 12, i called the benington vt. museum. they have the DJ quilt on display until oct l5., and didn't suffer any damage from all the flooding. i asked if they were welcoming visitors, and she said yes. when asked if the road was open from Albany, N.Y. she said yes, that she came that way everyday.

Lacelady 09-15-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso
sept 12, i called the benington vt. museum. they have the DJ quilt on display until oct l5., and didn't suffer any damage from all the flooding. i asked if they were welcoming visitors, and she said yes. when asked if the road was open from Albany, N.Y. she said yes, that she came that way everyday.

Will you be able to take pics? Some museums allow them as long as you don't use a flash.

sewNso 09-15-2011 02:52 PM

yes, i will, if i go. and let you all see them. my new camera is good, i like it. and sorta have it figured out. i will have to see if i can use it without flash. i would like to get a LOT of close up shots for you all and me. lots of flooding up around that area, but by the lst of oct. maybe it will be fine.

just checked and practiced, and i know how to do it without the flash.
we have a lot of things to do/get done before we can take off for a couple weeks.