Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

DottyD 07-24-2012 01:45 AM

Thanks Katybob and Gladys for your kind replies !
DottyD

Chay 07-24-2012 02:43 PM

Hello DJ'ers,

I just finished my last DJ block almost a year to the day after I started this project. I used the Green Fairy blog Kaffe Fassett quilt as my inspiration and am so happy with the results. I have it laid out on the floor to look at how the TATW colors worked out and will probably do some rearranging.

Now for the sashing. My first idea was to do the sashing normally and send the whole thing out to a long-arm quilter but now I'm having second thoughts and thinking about QAYG. I've searched the board and gotten lots of info about it, including Lacelady's tutorial.

My concern is that the blocks are all trimmed to exactly 5.5". If I QAYG each block (by machine, not by hand) will the blocks shrink to the point that it will affect the overall size of the top when everything is put together? I don't want to do all that QAYG and then find out that my triangles don't fit. (This is assuming that I would put all the blocks together and then add all the triangles and corner squares at the end.)

I would love to be able to say that I did everything on this quilt myself, but I'm just not sure that I have enough wiggle room to do QAYG.

Any thoughts appreciated ....

QuiltnNan 07-25-2012 03:21 AM

Congratulations, Chay!!!! I'm so anxious to see a picture. I'm thinking as you are... that there will be some shrinkage. But maybe there are some with that experience that will jump in. My next thought is, what if you sewed sections of blocks together to make a larger but still manageable QAYG?

Chay 07-25-2012 06:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my blocks. Now that I see it all together I have decided to re-do about 8 of them because I don't like the color of the fabric. I figured this would happen. I'm just happy to see it all in one place. Still thinking about QAYG ....

Jeanine 07-25-2012 06:36 AM

Chay: oh wow! I'm so glad you shared that picture with us. It is wonderful.

DottyD 07-25-2012 06:37 AM

Hi Chay, Oh my - your quilt is abolutely beautiful - the colours are so nice --- Congratulations !
DottyD

QuiltnNan 07-25-2012 08:38 AM

thanks for posting the pic, chay. it's as beautiful as i imagined it to be :thumbup:

Fraew 07-25-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chay (Post 5392789)
Here is a picture of my blocks. Now that I see it all together I have decided to re-do about 8 of them because I don't like the color of the fabric. I figured this would happen. I'm just happy to see it all in one place. Still thinking about QAYG ....

That is amazingly beautiful. Congratulations on finishing your blocks. :thumbup:

sewsewquilter 07-25-2012 04:50 PM

Chay, your colors and blocks are wonderful!!!

Jates 07-26-2012 03:48 AM

Chay,
Congratulations on finishing your blocks!
They are absolutely beautiful!
Well done!