Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

tomilu 12-23-2011 01:11 PM

Got my CD in the mail today. Have it loaded on the puter and printed out the first three blocks. Still need to check my stash for background fabric.
tomilu

tomilu 12-23-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 4803834)
I don't use the scanner, just the copy function and they always turn out fine on my printer.

You are right about the copy function. Now if you want to save the patterns, scan and save to a .pdf file. Just make a note to add the seam lines.

klgreene 12-23-2011 02:16 PM

oh those seam allowances can just ruin the fun if you forget about them. I made the Ohio star last summer, didn't know you needed te seam allowance. It was not a pretty sight. LOL

PokerDiva 12-23-2011 02:17 PM

Katie all your blocks are pretty sights. Bet you didn't forget again.

Originally Posted by klgreene (Post 4805925)
oh those seam allowances can just ruin the fun if you forget about them. I made the Ohio star last summer, didn't know you needed te seam allowance. It was not a pretty sight. LOL

mudose8 12-23-2011 02:35 PM

Just found this thread! Have had this book since it came out, now have the motivation to use it!! Will follow along and, if I ever learn about taking pictures and posting, I might be able to get some pictures posted on this group!! You guys are all such an inspiration and so much help:o

klgreene 12-23-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 4805930)
Katie all your blocks are pretty sights. Bet you didn't forget again.

Nope I never forgot again, and that was only my second paper piece that I had done. The first one had the 1/4" on the little pattern.

SheriR 12-24-2011 06:48 AM

I am not understanding about adding the seam allowance. I can't look in my book it's wrapped under the tree. But it looked like with paper piecing you lay down one, right side up on its spot. Next piece lay on top of first right sides together. Sew seam on appropriate line, turn, press open, trim, add next piece. Where is the seam allowance we add? Sorry if I just made myself look totally inept.

Carsey 12-24-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 4805066)
Linda, you don't have to know anything about the states. That is just a name she gave the stars. No correlation. She also has a book of stars named after countries. Maybe we should do that one next year. I can't wait to get stated either. Not long now.

GREAT IDEA, PokerDiva!! The countries next!! Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Blessings!
Carole

PokerDiva 12-24-2011 07:36 AM

I don't remember if you said you had the cd with the patterns. If you do no problem. If you are going to copy from the book as I am, you will see that they do not include the seam allowance. You will need to add 1/4" seam allowance around each section. I just draw it in my book before I copy the pattern. Once you open your book, take a look. If I still am not making sense(because sometimes I don't) I will try to clarify. Or I could take a pic. Happy Holidays everyone.

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 4807495)
I am not understanding about adding the seam allowance. I can't look in my book it's wrapped under the tree. But it looked like with paper piecing you lay down one, right side up on its spot. Next piece lay on top of first right sides together. Sew seam on appropriate line, turn, press open, trim, add next piece. Where is the seam allowance we add? Sorry if I just made myself look totally inept.

PokerDiva 12-24-2011 07:47 AM

OK, I tried to take a pic of the pattern and it didn't turn out well. I moved it to different spots hoping the different lighting would work. Nope. Maybe someone else can try.