#?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
I figure I've lived without hashtags up to now and can go right on living without them. But I do realize that I'm really getting to be an old curmudgeon!
Shoot, I live without Facebook, Twitter, etc. I do have a smart phone, because I liked some of the stuff I could do. Constantly have people asking me to contact them or "share" on Facebook. When I tell them I do not participate in the forum, they just look at me as if I am still in the 80's. The rest of the family are into all the sharing of family pictures and information. Guess you are not the only "old curmudgeon"!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Shoot, I live without Facebook, Twitter, etc. I do have a smart phone, because I liked some of the stuff I could do. Constantly have people asking me to contact them or "share" on Facebook. When I tell them I do not participate in the forum, they just look at me as if I am still in the 80's. The rest of the family are into all the sharing of family pictures and information. Guess you are not the only "old curmudgeon"!

I am in the "ole curmudgeon" group.....don't do Any of the social networking stuff, except this! I do text on my phone to the DDs.....they haven't the time to "talk"...... Poor, busy babies! But my texts are sometimes HUH!,,,big fingers, little keys! Anyway...thanks for info on hashtags....although it makes some sense to me, I doubt I will be one to use it.......and yes to me # means pounds too.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Ah, well i ignore it all!!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Ah, well i ignore it all!!
...and so do i .
i know about hashtags. watched the running twitter (new thingy then) during the presidential debates on tv when obama running for first term. i don't tweet or fb. didn't my space or any of it. my only social networking interests are quilty related. if i haven't heard from or seen someone for years there is usually a reason. we grow, we follow different paths, our interests too different now. i keep contact w fam & freinds via phone &/or email/snail mail. i am not going to join fb so i can keep track of what grchildren & others are doing. how sad to be so seperated emotionally, from the ones we supposedly love, that we have to "spy" on them via a web site.. fb, & sites like it, that allow you to look up old acquantences do nothing but feed into the current older generation, of which i am a part, look backwards instead of forwards, live in the past instead of now. i want to see, feel & enjoy the future & my now. the past? ..been there done that. i don't watch reruns either .

.....tho am thinking about instagram. mostly because no records for the snoops to track!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 AM

".....tho am thinking about instagram. mostly because no records for the snoops to track!"

I'm not entirely sure about that...my son says instagram is just twitter with pictures.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
I figure I've lived without hashtags up to now and can go right on living without them. But I do realize that I'm really getting to be an old curmudgeon!
I'm also part of the old curmudgeon group--there have got to be more than 2 of us.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 AM

DH and I always have a big laugh that a phase is over when we figure it out. We still have fun texting each other.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM

My neighbor asked me this weekend if I got her text message, I laughed as I usually never have my phone on unless I need to make a call. It's not a smart phone, doesn't have a camera or any other stuff - it's a phone (flip phone). Will never understand twitter, texting or hashtag and don't want to. Count me into the curmudgeon group - life is so much simpler without being attached to my phone 24/7.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 AM

[QUOTE=Geri B;6734487]I am in the "ole curmudgeon" group.....don't do Any of the social networking stuff, except this! I do text on my phone to the DDs.....they haven't the time to "talk"...... Poor, busy babies! But my texts are sometimes HUH!,,,big fingers, little keys! Anyway...thanks for info on hashtags....although it makes some sense to me, I doubt I will be one to use it.......and yes to me # means pounds too.

Thank God I am a Curmudgeon - almost 76 and PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!! I don't need fast things going faster. Life goes fast enough without having stuff to make it go faster, thank you very much. I love my life now. Easy paced, no rushing - I was brought up to take time to smell the roses and coffee (Thank you Mom and Dad). These hashers are going to find out soon enough that they "hashed, OMG'd, LOL'd themselves to death and didn't take the time to write "Oh, my goodness", or "Lots of Laughs' or "Loads of Love". My, what they have missed.

Sorry to vent my spleen here, but it is such a sore subject for me and thank you for the spleen-letting session.

Edie
Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 AM

I guess I'm a "young curmudgeon" then, because I don't like social media either and I'm still...well, not exactly "young" anymore I suppose, LOL. "Young-ish curmudgeon"?

I have a FB account but I only keep it so people can message me through it without having my actual email. I have it locked down as tightly as I can get it, privacy-wise. I get notified when people try to tag me on posts or "check me in" to places and I log in and remove all of those tags and refuse to allow them.

I really don't think a lot of social media stuff is safe. Your phone geo-tags pictures you upload now, unless you shut that off, so if you use something like Instagram people know where you are. People "check in" all over wherever they go and I think that's crazy...you're literally advertizing that nobody is home, go ahead and hang out the 'please rob me now' sign. I especially worry about younger people like my niece & nephew (9 & 13 years old) and try to educate them that sharing your life online is a BAD idea. Fortunately my sister is savvy and is making sure they stay smart & safe online. I'm so glad the internet was in its infancy when I was a teenager, I can only imagine how much embarrassing crap would be out there if I and my peers had had ready access!!

I do have a twitter account that I use to follow several people (mostly comedians, I like to laugh!) but I don't ever send out tweets. I work in IT so I feel somewhat obliged to keep abreast of modern pop technology culture but I strongly dislike and don't use about 99% of the "social media" technology out there.

And I REALLY don't understand the phenomenon of people taking pictures of their food and posting it. Not just fancy food or things they've made themselves (that I could understand somewhat); but all kinds of random boring food. I have a friend who does that and I asked her why and she didn't really have an answer either. It's just this "thing" that people started doing and now other people do it just because it's the thing to do. So weird.