Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For all your dog lovers out there (like me) >

For all your dog lovers out there (like me)

For all your dog lovers out there (like me)

Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 AM

We don't currently have a dog, but several grand-dogs. If you love dogs, read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. It will be a movie soon, but reading it gets you into the dog's head, which is what this is all about. Totally changed the way I look at dogs, though I always knew they are thinking a lot more than you can tell.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 AM

Sitting here with my toy chihauhau tucked down in my flannel shirt snoreing. Just a dog, I don't think so, she has wokred hard at training us and has been quite successful, if I do say so myself. She can throw a ball and get Papa to fetch it for her even. Just a DOG, I don't think so. She even has the cats trained, who by the way, are not '' Just Cats'' either.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
This was in the newsletter of the place where we adopted Leo from (that sentence sounds convoluted, but you know what I mean... I hope). Personally, I couldn't agree more.

It's Just a Dog

From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and, in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me, and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile....because they "just don't understand." and keeps me from being "just a human."
Maybe just a dog for some people but sometimes that is only friend some elderly people have,they are frail and get out like they use to and personally my dogs are my family also not just a dog.They are awesome and sometimes better to us than the human species.Use mess with my dogs and you mess with my double barrell.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM

I love my dogs and prefer their company over "others" They always make you smile and ask so little from you....yet give you so much in return.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 AM

Give me "just a dog or "just a cat" any day. I prefer them to most of the 2 legged "friends(?)" I have. I can talk to my dog, cuddle with my dogs, sleep with my dog, walk with my dogs, They are with me when I am on the computer or when I am sewing or when I am gardening or when I am reading. There is nothing like having a dogs head in your lap so you can play with the ears when you are reading. They keep me warm in the winter and company when my DH travels. They keep me feeling safe-from people, deer, birds, raccoons and windy windows.
I'll take my "just a dog" thank you!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 AM

We lost our dog, Lizzie, on March 3rd. That left a HUGE hole in our hearts. She wasn't 'just a dog', she was the 'light of our lives'. I honestly think that dogs are the closest thing to Jesus walking this earth -- complete, unconditional love.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
dogs - and cats - are sometimes better companions than the two-legged ones
sometimes ?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 AM

I just loved this, thank you!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM

This is so true. We have 4 dogs and 2 cats. They are just small people with fur. Each has a distinct personality and a different way of loving us. In fact, I asked my husband just last night if he thought it was a sin to love them like we do. He immediately said no. Two of them are expensive purchases and 2 of the dogs and both cats are rescues. There is no difference. They are all precious, adorable and full of love. If you aren't an animal person, you are truly missing out on one of God's best gifts to us!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine not having my furbabies in my life (but mine are cats). LOL