American Food

Old 08-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Lyn

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
that's an easy one. mushed peas don't roll off the fork. ;-)

p.s. i don't mush mine. the only exercise i get is from chasing them around the plate. :lol:
Thank you never thought of that. No wonder I am winded after dinner. :)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:30 PM

would like to know what cawl is also. I grew up with a german stepmom so we would go over to europe during summer school vacation. I miss their pastry and foods it was so good. Like the others said we have lots of variety here in america with so many nationaties. Since my mom cooked german style since moving to the mid west (Kansas) I see all sorts of things I haven't had before. My husband laughs at me when I ask what the stuff is that his family serves.I found when I try it I was not missing anything LOL. I cook a lot of different foods mexician, german, italian, and american meat and potatoes stuff. The one thing that stands out no matter where I have been in the US is green bean casserole. Everyone seems to love that.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM

I loved my aunts chocolate soup in germany. As for the saurkraut you might want to try this : next time buy the jar type and cooked it half and half with some chopped cabbage. My german mom loved saurkraut and made it that way. I still do
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by welshgem
When i think of american food it is usually the junk food things that stand out, chilli dogs annd meatloaf being another 2 things! lol

No meatloaf in the UK,or not that i have ever seen :)
Wouldnt mind trying a twinkie though ha ha

Welsh cakes are a bit like a scone but they are flat and sprinkled with sugar. You can either have currants / raisins in them or yummy strawberry jam. Best served warm straight off an iron griddle pan :)

Cawl or Caul is a welsh word and is a broth/soup with fresh vegetables and lamb. I like it covered in vinegar with some chunky bread to dip :)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 PM

I am going to have to remember not to read this section before I eat. Grrrrrrrr that is my tummy protesting my eyeballs that get to gorge on whats on the screen.
LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
Lisanne,
me
Last week my grandson requested my apple pie for his groom cake at their September wedding.

When all five kids were home I thought nothing of making 2 or 3 pies in one day. Add forty years and it is a lot of work!

Of course I will make him an apple pie.

Quilter68/69 (aka Kathleen)
Wow, I guess you're all as American as apple pie! I know it's still around, of course. It's just not on restaurant menus as much, I don't think. Cheesecake and torts seem to get all the attention nowadays. I can't find a good layer cake anywhere. Bakeries only seem to sell doughnuts and muffins any more...
Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Come to Corinth, MS; our bakeries still sell fresh strawberry cakes, red velvet cakes, coconut cakes, and chocolate layer cakes. In the fall we have apple cakes, and pumpkin bread.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Here in northern Michigan, the specialty is pasties. Pasties are little meat and veggie pies, some made with rutabagas, some with potatoes. You see signs all over as well as in every restaurant and in the grocery stores. My husband's Kiwanis club makes and sells them twice a year so we usually buy a dozen for the freezer. My friend and her husband had an ongoing argument about what to put on them... catsup or gravy. We go for gravy up here, but I sneak some catsup sometimes! Also, lots of fish up here... perch, trout, salmon, but especially whitefish that is caught in Lake Superior.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cr12cats
I loved my aunts chocolate soup in germany. As for the saurkraut you might want to try this : next time buy the jar type and cooked it half and half with some chopped cabbage. My german mom loved saurkraut and made it that way. I still do
This was always done on my husbands side of the family, that's the way I make it also. My sons girlfriend is polish american, and they also eat something call sauerkraut soup. She's never made it for us but, she says she will for christmas, says it's a christmas tradition.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM

To all the saurkrout people,

In my neighborhood we cooked it for hours until it puckered your lips. Now I add an apple to cut it a little and of course somekind of pork.

Only Kisslings in the bag; never canned.