Another Scam Alert

Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 AM

Earlier in this thread I wrote about getting a newspaper renewal bill for over a thousand dollars. Same company just sent me (these are snail mail, by the way, not emails) an invoice for Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting at their "lowest rate" - $59.99 for one year (six issues), payable in two installments etc. etc. I guess I'll be getting more invoices in the future. My question - does anyone really take these offers? And in this case, since the magazine contains the name of real people, do Fons & Porter know how their names are being used? I see someone else wrote above about an invoice from what sounds like the same company. Somehow this company is making money. Not from me.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:13 AM

This week I received :

An email for a set of airplane tickets to be printed out.
A package that couldn't be delivered by DHL.

And the best one.........
Microsoft tech called. I used language I usually don't use to tell him never to call again.
That didn't deter them....
They called back yesterday.....
(NOTE TO SELF...learn more "colorful" words)

I expect them to call back either Saturday or Monday...LOL
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM

I love the Microsoft calls! I love to "play with them" by telling them that I need new windows - 18 to be exact and that I'd really like them with removable storm windows and one piece screens. Do I need to have someone come out to measure my existing windows or can I just order all 18 windows? Do they also do vinyl siding and roofs? By this point, the "Microsoft" folks are usually sputtering and hang up! No "bad" language and I get a good laugh. The trick is, you have to speak quickly, without letting them get a word in...just keep jabbering about replacement windows. Works every time!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Credit cards are changing though; I think by the end of next year most US credit cards are going to have EMV chips in them. These chips were adopted overseas a long time ago but the US has been slow to join in. These chips are MUCH harder to forge and should cut back on in-person card fraud immensely.... (Sometimes also called "Chip and PIN" cards or "Chip and Signature" cards)

The EMV chips will NOT help with internet fraud, though. But any improvement at this point is a good thing if you ask me! I've had my main card reissued THREE TIMES this year due to data compromises!
Canadian financial institutions have had EMV cards a number of years now, and there have not been incidents of the cards being physically compromised (cloned ). One of the interesting results we saw was the movement of much of the fraud attempts on cards, move to the US because you're still using the mag stripe cards. We also saw a surge in low-tech fraud attempts - like the scam emails and phone calls in this thread.

Sewnoma is exactly right - EMV does not prevent fraud where you provide the scammers with your card information (card number, expiry, security code) so they can conduct transactions online.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 AM

I'm pretty sure if I get a "Notice to Appear in Court", the return address (sender) is not going to be called "Notice to Appear". These scammers sure are dumb. They only need a few people who are dumber than them, though.