Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any recommendations for an electric toothbrush? >

Any recommendations for an electric toothbrush?

Any recommendations for an electric toothbrush?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
My dh and I like the Sonicare. Dd prefers the Oral B because it has a smaller brush head. They're both good; it really comes down to personal preference.

I asked a dental hygienists about Water Piks and electric toothbrushes. They're both good, but they are not interchangeable. She recommended using both. The issue I have with the Water Pik is that it is quite messy to use.

Also, neither the electric toothbrush or the Water Pik eliminate the need to floss at least once a day.
Use Both...and electric toothbrush AND a water pic. Yes its messy....just lean way over the sink and keep your mouth closed around the water pic to avoid splashing. There is no plaque when you use all three.,
Old 06-21-2016, 07:41 PM

I'm a periodontal patient and have used Sonicare on the recommendation of my peridontist for years now. I love how clean my teeth feel when I'm done brushing. I have the black Sonicare now. I can't remember what model it is, but it's great! It has a beep when you need to move to another quadrant of your mouth and different setting for cleaning and some other things I can't remember. lol

Edit: I should add that I brush twice a day with the Sonicare, once with the toothbrush (after lunch) and floss after lunch and at night. Yes, I spend most of the life on my teeth but they look good. LOL

Last edited by cashs_mom; 06-21-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

I prefer the Oral B Vitality. I buy the brush heads at Costco. Seems that it was $30 for 8 replacement brushes.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 AM

I forget which brand we used for a number of years. First one quit quite soon after purchase. Called the company. They asked what toothpaste we were using. At the time, Crest baking soda/peroxide variety. Was told by the toothbrush company to switch toothpaste brands to one with a lower baking soda content as that was damaging the electric toothbrush. Switched to Colgate brand, same variety and did not have issues with breakage again.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:31 AM
JT

I started using the Oral B Vitality about 2 months ago, after getting my teeth cleaned. Why didn't I do this 20 years ago? My teeth still feel like I came back from the dentist. This is a great brush, cost about $30, and worth every penny. It has a two minute timer, which for me is necessary. I know I wasn't brushing long enough before. I actually enjoy using this toothbrush!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:04 AM

We like the oral B. I like the smaller head. You can buy bigger ones. Have used this brand for last 10 years. Have not had any trouble with them.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
She mentioned two brands Sonic and Oral B, both have multiple choices.....Confusing to say the least!!
We have had Sonic since they first came out. No cavities since and dental cleanings are no longer a source of pain from the hygienist scraping plaque.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 AM

I use the one that walmart carries...can't remember the name, but it's got half the brush goes up and down and half the brush goes in circles. Keeps my teeth pretty clean. I haven't had a cavity in years and the plaque does not build up as much as in the past. I think it also may depend on your wallet. I know sonicare is pretty expensive, but the ones at walmart are not so pricey. I was told that the electric do a much better job just because they move so much faster than we can and get more brushes in for the same amt of time you might spend on brushing with a manual. But they still give me a manual one every time I go in...even when I tell them I don't use them! LOL

Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 AM

MaggieSue,

You must be southern. I'm Sharon Kay, I have cousins. Brenda Sue, Mary Lou, Brentley Dean, etc.

I wanted to tell you that the reason that I started using a Sonicare was because I was diasgnosed with Periodontitis and I knew I needed to kick my home care up a notch. I had seen an infomercial for Sonicare, which had just came out on the market. It demonstrated the action of a sonic pulse wave in removing stains and plaque and even dislodging stuff between the teeth that flossing usually removes. The sonic wave also stimulates the gums, which leads to healthier gums. I was sold. My husband bought me one and after I used it I felt as though I had had my teeth polished. My Periodontitis seemed to reverse itself. I get my teeth cleaned every six months and my hygentist doesn't have much to do. My dentist makes comments about how clean my mouth is. An oral surgeon told me that I had the smallest mouth he had ever seen. I have never felt that the brush size was an issue for me. I also believe that different size brush heads are available. I use the e-series toothbrush, but I think the newer models have smaller heads. One thing that is important is to replace the brush heads evey 3 months. The tootbrush works by using magnets in the heads, and they somehow wear out over time, which is why it is important to replace them frequently enough.

My husband was reluctant for years in switching to a Sonicare. He is traditional and doesn't embrace change well. About 5 years ago I bought him one. He hates to be without it now. His smile is brighter from using it. We are both 57.

Other products that I like are Plackers, which make flossing less messy, and of course I love my waterpik. I put a capful of mouthwash in the water resevoir. My hygenist recommended Closys mouthwash and toothpaste. The mouthwash has no alcohol and the toothpaste doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate, so I don't foam at the mouth like a rabid dog when I brush. They both have whitening agents, and the moutwash kills bacteria so that my mouth is fresher and cleaner. I buy the toothpaste from Amazon and the mouthwash from my dentist. Also, if you buy the value pack, Amazon is cheaper for brush heads.

Please remember to make sure that you are buying a sonic toothbush and not just an electric one. There is a big difference in the two. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:17 AM

Been using Oral B for many years, bought in a dentist office my dad went to. Hygienist I go to says year after year no plaque. She asked what I use, and she seemed a little surprised I didn't say Sonicare. Said she is now impressed with Oral B.

Oral B is made in Germany by Braun. Sonicare is made in China. If I didn't know any better and was in store and trying to make up my mind, I would buy Oral B over Sonicare in heartbeat for that very reason.