Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know Anything About Passports? >

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Apply for your passport a year before you need it. It took almost that long to get mine, & I paid for expedited service!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nona
you have to send an original certified birth certifcate, not one that came from the hospital. It will be returned to you with your passport. .
The birth certificate must be a "Certified Copy" that has the raised embossed seal from the state of birth showing that the birth was registered within one year from date of birth. The one from the hospital with the cute little tootsie prints is only a souvenir - it is not proof of citizenship.
Certified copies can be obtained from the state for a fee.
Many states issue, upon request, a credit card size plastic certified birth certificate that includes the raised embossed official state seal. Guard those carefully if you keep them in your wallet all the time.
When I was a passport clerk, sometimes elderly applicants would have to procure census records or church baptismal records, etc., since back long ago sometimes when babies were born at home without a physician or even midwife, parents didn't understand the need for registering the birth. They'd think the birth didn't need to be proved, obviously, but actually the passport is to prove your citizenship for re-entry to your own country.
It was very interesting work.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Originally Posted by Nona
you have to send an original certified birth certifcate, not one that came from the hospital. It will be returned to you with your passport. .
The birth certificate must be a "Certified Copy" that has the raised embossed seal from the state of birth showing that the birth was registered within one year from date of birth. The one from the hospital with the cute little tootsie prints is only a souvenir - it is not proof of citizenship.
Certified copies can be obtained from the state for a fee.
Many states issue, upon request, a credit card size plastic certified birth certificate that includes the raised embossed official state seal. Guard those carefully if you keep them in your wallet all the time.
When I was a passport clerk, sometimes elderly applicants would have to procure census records or church baptismal records, etc., since back long ago sometimes when babies were born at home without a physician or even midwife, parents didn't understand the need for registering the birth. They'd think the birth didn't need to be proved, obviously, but actually the passport is to prove your citizenship for re-entry to your own country.
It was very interesting work.
I have my certified birth certificate.

I have permission from my adviser to go to the community college, now I just need is permission from my college... and find out the fees and what not for the school. I'm hoping I can get a fee waiver since the community college near my house does not offer the class... that or I get the in district fee since I am a "resident" at Elmhurst College. I'll find that out soon enough. I have a feeling I might have to pay for this myself and not my mom (who is paying for Elmhurst along with my Dad). But that does not bother me... It's only for two classes to begin with, so I should be fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM

I don't know if it has been said, but I got my passport about 5 years ago and DH got one last year, and you did definitely have to send you birth certificate in. They do indeed send it back.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Don't use a xerox copy ofo your Birth certificate. You will need a certified copy which you get from your state or county of birth at Bureau of Vital Statistics
Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the help!!! :)