Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know Anything About Passports? >

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM

My daughter spent 14 months in Japan, teaching and being a missionary and she loved it. She rode a bike , walked and did stuff at any time and always was safe. It is a wonderful country and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Get hooked up on Skyp. I talked to my daughter every day and it was free
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by patski
My daughter spent 14 months in Japan, teaching and being a missionary and she loved it. She rode a bike , walked and did stuff at any time and always was safe. It is a wonderful country and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Get hooked up on Skyp. I talked to my daughter every day and it was free
I'll have to teach my mom how to use skype or have her get an MSN account. But that is a great idea! Wonder if I could introduce her to the host family that way, I know she'd like that, but I'm not sure if they would... hmmm... must add that to list of questions.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM

I hope you go and I hope you enjoy studying there. Japan is a bit pricier than here, and one thing to remember is that "personal" space here is about arms length. In Japan, it is much more crowded, and their personal space is much smaller, so when someone seems pushy, they are not necessarily being rude. Its kind of hard to get used to. The language is a difficult one to learn, but if you are living there it is much easier than learning from abroad. It is as someone else said, very safe, and you should be fine I hope that aleviates some of Mom's fears, and gives you a little heads up. Enjoy
Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
I hope you go and I hope you enjoy studying there. Japan is a bit pricier than here, and one thing to remember is that "personal" space here is about arms length. In Japan, it is much more crowded, and their personal space is much smaller, so when someone seems pushy, they are not necessarily being rude. Its kind of hard to get used to. The language is a difficult one to learn, but if you are living there it is much easier than learning from abroad. It is as someone else said, very safe, and you should be fine I hope that aleviates some of Mom's fears, and gives you a little heads up. Enjoy
Thank you! I'm taking some classes here to have some knowledge of the language and another thing the same class teaches are some of the customs and the background and what not, I am currently waiting to hear from the advising office to see if I can get the permission needed to take classes at another school since my school does not offer the language, but the Country community college does. And since I have a legitimate reason for taking the class I should have no problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I'm starting to prepare my application for a passport, since I will need this before I apply for my study abroad program. I am applying for Nanzan University, Nagoya, Japan. My mother is not thrilled, but I told her that I will be twenty-three years old and I can go where I want... plus the way she says things... it sounds like she's just messing with me... especially when she said: "You'll get a hang nail and go to jail." I'm trying to put her mind at ease... ANYWAYS... I need to know exactly what I should do. I know the fee and what I need for the application. But what if I lose a lot of weight before I go? Do I need to get a new card issued? Thats a big concern since I'm trying to lose weight... I don't want to pay $200 and then have to pay another huge sum for a new card due to photos needing to be updated.

Do I send them my birth certificate too? Do I get that back?

In a pickle!

If we had to get new passports everytime we changed hair syles or colors they wouldn't be able to keep up with the requests. Loosing weight will not require a new passport until it's time to renew it.

I truely hope your adventure in Japan is all you wish it to be. I would think your mom will come around as time passes and she sees you're safe and well once you're settled at the university. Even at 23 mothers have problems with you being so far from home. your mom's just concerned for your well being and it's not being expressed to you as controlling your choices. Do whatever you can to put her heart and mind at ease. It's not worth having a family breach over.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by desertrose
I'm starting to prepare my application for a passport, since I will need this before I apply for my study abroad program. I am applying for Nanzan University, Nagoya, Japan. My mother is not thrilled, but I told her that I will be twenty-three years old and I can go where I want... plus the way she says things... it sounds like she's just messing with me... especially when she said: "You'll get a hang nail and go to jail." I'm trying to put her mind at ease... ANYWAYS... I need to know exactly what I should do. I know the fee and what I need for the application. But what if I lose a lot of weight before I go? Do I need to get a new card issued? Thats a big concern since I'm trying to lose weight... I don't want to pay $200 and then have to pay another huge sum for a new card due to photos needing to be updated.

In a pickle!

If we had to get new passports everytime we changed hair syles or colors they wouldn't be able to keep up with the requests. Loosing weight will not require a new passport until it's time to renew it.

I truely hope your adventure in Japan is all you wish it to be. I would think your mom will come around as time passes and she sees you're safe and well once you're settled at the university. Even at 23 mothers have problems with you being so far from home. your mom's just concerned for your well being and it's not being expressed to you as controlling your choices. Do whatever you can to put her heart and mind at ease. It's not worth having a family breach over.
If I did whatever she wanted me to do to put her mind at ease, I'd be getting geared up for Kings College, London England. Which to be honest is still on the table. If I went to Kings College, I'd have friends in England and in German... and my Mom said she'd visit... And to be honest, I'd love to do both... Japan and England, but I don't think I'm able to do both. Less I did one college one semester and another college another semester, which I have heard has been done, but I have to talk to someone about that... and I have a feeling she'll pay the down payment for the England application since it's one she supports... She even told that Ireland and Scotland were options that she liked. The University in Edinburgh happens to have an internship with Parliament that I was thinking about doing... so I'm not sure on that part, Japan would be awesome, and is my hearts desire, so I'm going to look into doing both... if at all possible. Cost wise, it might be better to just go to Europe...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM

In a pickle!
Good for you, Alu- and good luck. It sounds like great fun, you have a lot of courage. Why not go now while you are young? I never heard of anyone having to have their passport redone except when it expires or you change your name.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM

You will deinitly be going to the greatest community college if you go to college of Dupage, its right down from my home. Also my son was in the marine corp and was stationed on Okinawa, and he loved it, my phone bills were over 500.00 a month when he was their, he was a little homesick but loved it all the same, and so will you. Yes, give mom a break, we love our kids and want whats best, we want you to experience all that you can so please be careful. Have fun
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Good manners is what they have there. But, with that said...riding the subways and such, they are VERY pushy to get on and off. They don't say "excuse me" when they bump into you. They just bump and go.
Japan is a beautiful place. I loved visiting there and seeing the culture. I will tell you tho...traveling thru the country, it is a bit on the expensive side.
Just do your "homework" on Japan and you'll be fine. My biggest advice for you would be to get in touch with Youme and ask her questions. There's also another lady, Gaijin, I think her name is. I'm sure both of them could help you out.
If at all possible, avoid the trains during the work communtes!
The Japanese hire people as "Pushers" and that's exactly what they do...push the people at the end of the group onto the train. Wish I had the video of it...just a way of life and part of the travel to and from work routine for them.
It doesn't happen all day...so time your trips if you need to use the city trains.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 PM

My cousin worked for Disney in Japan for a year and loved it. Didn't have any problems there--just got homesick.