Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know Anything About Passports? >

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I don't remember. I got my first passport when I was 16 and have since just renewed it.
But, I'm only 30 :) :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: LOL
and here she always told me 29 lol
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 PM

I was 29 Chris, but since Lauren was getting closer to MY age, I had to add a year
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I was 29 Chris, but since Lauren was getting closer to MY age, I had to add a year
My Mom is trying to still claim 22... I told her... I'll be 23... you couldn't have been negative one when you had me.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 AM

Don't forget to take gifts. The whole gift giving procedure is very important to them. One of the things my son's teacher recommended was to take a photo album of your life as a conversation starter. I made up a book at snapfish (waited til I had a free offer so only shipping) and then he left it with them as a memento.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
Never send you original birth certificate to anyone! OK....now...that being said. Go get your picture taken, fill the form out completely, then go to the Post office with all the required paperwork (birth certificate, drivers license, etc) and they will verify your identity and send the application off. They will not keep your birth certificate. Hope that helps. Oh and regarding your mom.....give her a break....you may think 23 is all grown up but to us....you will always be our "baby"...LOL :D

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I'm starting to prepare my application for a passport, since I will need this before I apply for my study abroad program. I am applying for Nanzan University, Nagoya, Japan. My mother is not thrilled, but I told her that I will be twenty-three years old and I can go where I want... plus the way she says things... it sounds like she's just messing with me... especially when she said: "You'll get a hang nail and go to jail." I'm trying to put her mind at ease... ANYWAYS... I need to know exactly what I should do. I know the fee and what I need for the application. But what if I lose a lot of weight before I go? Do I need to get a new card issued? Thats a big concern since I'm trying to lose weight... I don't want to pay $200 and then have to pay another huge sum for a new card due to photos needing to be updated.

Do I send them my birth certificate too? Do I get that back?

In a pickle!
My daughter just did this and they absolutely do take your birth certificate and it must be the original birth certificate. We did it through the post office and it cost $150 total because the pictures we had did not have a completely white background, so make sure you have a white background! Good luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Passports are not hard to get and you will love Japan. I lived in the Tokyo area when I was in HS - People change and you won't change so much that you need a new passport. They are good for 10 years I think.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM

I was 23 once, dreaming of adventures. I envy you, and happy to offer a few suggestions. Before you send for a passport , (you seem to have time ) there are two things you should do. First get a notebook and write down any question you can judge as useful. Then go to Students Services at your College, tell them about your plans and ask them if they can help you to some extent. They usually have some documentation about your passport question, travel agencies that offer student discount, maybe you'll discover a section in the library you never browse. Your local library certainly has good informations in the Travel section.I would also write to the Japanese Embassy in Washington, requesting informations.

Being a mom and a GM, i certainly be worried if my daughter tells me she going to some place in the world I do not know. By being organized, you're gone to calm her down. Leave the informations, where she can consult them herself. Keep the questions to yourself, talk only about what you are sure of.If she feels the need to check, at least she'll understand that you speak about something you know . If I can be of further help, PM me, I worked in a Travel Agency for a while and left a lot of details.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM

I don't know if it's different everywhere, but I got mine about 6 years ago. Instead of applying by mail, we made an appointment at our local library. They have a Notary who knows passports come in twice a week just to handle passport applications. OMG, you wouldn't have to get a new one if you lost weight! These things are good for so many years...I've changed my weight, hair color, hair style, etc. many times in the span of time I've had mine :)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 AM

you have to send an original certified birth certifcate, not one that came from the hospital. It will be returned to you with your passport. Now is a good time to apply because the closer it gets to summer time (a large travel period) the longer it takes. It will be good for 10 years. Unless you are planning to loose huge amounts of weight I don't think it will matter.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt
I was 23 once, dreaming of adventures. I envy you, and happy to offer a few suggestions. Before you send for a passport , (you seem to have time ) there are two things you should do. First get a notebook and write down any question you can judge as useful. Then go to Students Services at your College, tell them about your plans and ask them if they can help you to some extent. They usually have some documentation about your passport question, travel agencies that offer student discount, maybe you'll discover a section in the library you never browse. Your local library certainly has good informations in the Travel section.I would also write to the Japanese Embassy in Washington, requesting informations.

Being a mom and a GM, i certainly be worried if my daughter tells me she going to some place in the world I do not know. By being organized, you're gone to calm her down. Leave the informations, where she can consult them herself. Keep the questions to yourself, talk only about what you are sure of.If she feels the need to check, at least she'll understand that you speak about something you know . If I can be of further help, PM me, I worked in a Travel Agency for a while and left a lot of details.
I am setting up an appointment with the Director of International Education. My school has a department of "Center for Professional Excellence" and they handle study abroad and career related things, such as preparing for interviews, and how to prepare a resume... things like that.

I filled out the passport application yesterday and my mom gave me a bit of attitude when I had her spell out her place of birth. I''m like Mom, this is important, please just cooperate." It was the pulling of information that was bugging her. I told her what I needed from her was not even close to what they wanted from me.

The question that I'm having a hard time with is date of travel and when you will be going... what if you don't know... what if you are getting a passport to have one on hand just incase you decide I want to travel to Europe?