Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know Anything About Passports? >

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My husband went to Japan a few years back with his reserve unit. He neither spoke nor wrote one lick of Japanese, yet he managed to take a trip to Mount Fuji all by himself. He had a blast. Got off on the wrong station and had to figure out "what now?" He said that he did a lot of pointing and shoulder shrugging and that method of communication got him back on track. lol

He also managed to take a picture of Tokyo and there was not a single person in the picture - it could have been Frankfurt except for the writing on the buildings. How he managed THAT I have no idea because he told me about the wall of people and that once you are in that mass, you have to move with it.

He told me that he wasn't too keen on the food. When I asked him what he had eaten, he gave me a long list of odd foods. I think I would have thrown in the towel LONG before he did. Having an open mind and an adventurous spirit helps a lot and you have lots of time to get prepared for the culture.

Your mom is just worried. Japan is a long way away and she couldn't come to the rescue IF anything went wrong. But NOTHING WILL, so she needs to relax.
Yeah, Mom brought that up too... the whole weird food thing and the not being able to come to the rescue should I need her. Since I'll be doing fall, i've decided on fall 2012, I'll be missing Thanksgiving... but that is okay. I wonder if I'll be able to get used to the time difference... less I prepare myself before going... idk...

I have the application for the pass port, do I have to fill the information out about my parents or no since I'm over eighteen?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone

Or I can go with no comprehension of the language... or very little as I have a friend who can help me a bit. It's not so much the speaking as it is the writing of the language
You are going to be living with a Japanese family so you TOTALLY need to work on your basic conversational Japanese before you go. At the very least you need to know your politeness words and how to use them- not only the please and thank you but the 'that was delicious' and 'I'd like to help with that' level of communication as well. You also need to be able to introduce yourself- v v important in Japan- you need to know how to say where you are from, your age, your family situation/ siblings details and a basic sentence on why you are in japan and how much you love it! Learn how to ask directions ( and understand the answers you get) learn numbers so you can shop and handle money. I advise you to put all your energy into oral Japanese- learning to read and write is the work of many years- but you need to be able to communicate from day one.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone

Or I can go with no comprehension of the language... or very little as I have a friend who can help me a bit. It's not so much the speaking as it is the writing of the language
You are going to be living with a Japanese family so you TOTALLY need to work on your basic conversational Japanese before you go. At the very least you need to know your politeness words and how to use them- not only the please and thank you but the 'that was delicious' and 'I'd like to help with that' level of communication as well. You also need to be able to introduce yourself- v v important in Japan- you need to know how to say where you are from, your age, your family situation/ siblings details and a basic sentence on why you are in japan and how much you love it!
According to my friend, my last name would probably be pronounced Saram-san (Ms. Schram). First name is Christine no clue how that would go over. I know very few things... I can say hello and goodbye (but most people can do those) just not entirely formal. I have heard that most study abroad students refer to their host family as Mom: Oka-san, Dad: Otou-san and that is as far as I know. To talk about my family, that would be difficult... but I'm going to learn! Anything that helps is great! Tips would be great for that.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Here is what it says about Passport Cards.
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Since you will be getting there by air, you WILL need your Tourist Passport, plus a Student Visa since you will be attending school.

I suggest to write down ALL questions and bring the list with you when you go and talk to the people.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

And I had to answer all the questions about my parents and I am --- uuuhhh -- well a few years older then you :wink: LOL
Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM

I don't remember. I got my first passport when I was 16 and have since just renewed it.
But, I'm only 30 :) :)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Here is what it says about Passport Cards.
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Since you will be getting there by air, you WILL need your Tourist Passport, plus a Student Visa since you will be attending school.

I suggest to write down ALL questions and bring the list with you when you go and talk to the people.
Thats what I've started doing. I'm going to send an email to the Director, since he is currently not on campus till February, and to find out about how I set up my appointment.

I've fill out my application, and am just getting the Passport Book, and that will cost about $150. Still a lot but better than near $200.

I told my best friend, Albert (who is Filipino and I'm absolutely in love with, too bad it's one sided), about this. His first comment was: "Only you would choose a city where 1% of the population speaks English." and then he followed that up with... "Will you be okay, being alone?" I told him "I think I'll be fine." and he gave me... "But none of us will be close if you should need us."

I told my Mom and she told me that was how she felt too... and that if I were to go to England, they would fly there to see me, since if I went to England I could go for an entire school year. The Nanzan Program is only for a semester.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 PM

Well, I think it will be a good experience for you. But, spending all that money for just a semester...hmm...that I'd have to think twice about.
I know when I was thinking about college, I wanted to study in Spain, Sweden or Norway. Never did get to do that since I decided to join the Army instead and spent 2 glorious years in Germany.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

I don't remember. I got my first passport when I was 16 and have since just renewed it.
But, I'm only 30 :) :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: LOL
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Well, I think it will be a good experience for you. But, spending all that money for just a semester...hmm...that I'd have to think twice about.
I know when I was thinking about college, I wanted to study in Spain, Sweden or Norway. Never did get to do that since I decided to join the Army instead and spent 2 glorious years in Germany.
The cost for the program is about the same as going to a semester here, at my College... and my school is not cheap by any means... Most of it will be covered by financial aid, plus anything that Nanzan can give me (since they have an international student scholarship) and there are a TON of scholarships that my school offers. If I could count on affording it for Spring, I'd go then, but due to needing to save up a lot of money for travel expenses and pocket money, I have to wait, unless I was able to go OVER what was needed for the semester by a couple thousand. If was able to get this one scholarship for 25,000 for study abroad.. I'd be set... even if I was able to get the Deans scholarship from the school.