Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know Anything About Passports? >

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 AM

we took our own pictures, saved money, only do a face front forward and you can get everything you need at your county seat/offices for the passport, they will even help you fill it out or you can take it home and come back. The cost has gone up this year so expect to pay more.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 AM

yes, the cost of passports went up, we got ours renewed before the price change this past year, it was quite a savings.

Originally Posted by KarenR
When I was reading you information. Either passports went way up in price from when I got ours or you may need to check the information again. Our courthouse does passports paperwork, photo's etc. It was nice getting it all done at once. I don't think our entire family costed that much. But it has been a few years.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 AM

ps - don't forget to get all your shots, check with your family doctor, tetnus, hepititus both kinds, flu we know someone who got H1N1 in China this year and was VERY sick! Don't want to get a hang nail and get very sick from it!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 AM

If it's possible, go to the passport office in person. If not,
yes, you do have to send your birth certificate, the original, and yes, you will get it back.

If you lose weight, you will not need to get a new picture.
I have changed my hair color and have not had to get a new
picture.

Have a wonderful time in Japan. Japan is one of the places in the world where Americans are welcome. The Japanese people on the whole are very polite and friendly. I'm sure you are going to have an extremely interesting and fun time. See as much as you can. Learn as much as you can. You will remember this time for the rest of your life. :thumbup:
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by earlylace
ps - don't forget to get all your shots, check with your family doctor, tetnus, hepititus both kinds, flu we know someone who got H1N1 in China this year and was VERY sick! Don't want to get a hang nail and get very sick from it!!!
Yes, that H1N1 is required, but I won't be getting that shot or any other vaccinations, till I need to. I have to talk to the advising office at school about taking Japanese classes at the county community college. I'm allowed to do so, it's just being able to go about it... the school doesn't offer the class so I have to be outsourced. Or I can go with no comprehension of the language... or very little as I have a friend who can help me a bit. It's not so much the speaking as it is the writing of the language.

The price for the book and card is $140 dollars, with a processing fee of $25 and for the post office to take the photos is $15. For just the book, it's $110 plus the $25 and $25. Just the card is $30 dollars, plus the other two fees. I was trying to see if I can get just the card, but i kept getting mixed messages and I think I'll just get both to be on the safe side.

Is there a fee for a visa?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM

No, you cannot travel overseas with just the card. The card will work for Canada and Mexico and Virgin Islands, I think. To travel abroad, overseas...you need the passport book.
Yes, there is a fee for a Visa. You should be able to Google fees for that also.
Check with the school in Japan. They should be able to help you along in your journey for getting all the things you need. They should be able to send you a list of documents, shots and all of the "whatnots"
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
No, you cannot travel overseas with just the card. The card will work for Canada and Mexico and Virgin Islands, I think. To travel abroad, overseas...you need the passport book.
Yes, there is a fee for a Visa. You should be able to Google fees for that also.
Check with the school in Japan. They should be able to help you along in your journey for getting all the things you need. They should be able to send you a list of documents, shots and all of the "whatnots"
Awesome... I'm supposed to set up a meeting with the Director of International Education, and I can ask him all the questions that I want. I'm actually headed to the post office now to pick up my Passport form...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

The card is only valid if you are traveling by land or boat - you must have the regular passport book for air travel
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

My husband went to Japan a few years back with his reserve unit. He neither spoke nor wrote one lick of Japanese, yet he managed to take a trip to Mount Fuji all by himself. He had a blast. Got off on the wrong station and had to figure out "what now?" He said that he did a lot of pointing and shoulder shrugging and that method of communication got him back on track. lol

He also managed to take a picture of Tokyo and there was not a single person in the picture - it could have been Frankfurt except for the writing on the buildings. How he managed THAT I have no idea because he told me about the wall of people and that once you are in that mass, you have to move with it.

He told me that he wasn't too keen on the food. When I asked him what he had eaten, he gave me a long list of odd foods. I think I would have thrown in the towel LONG before he did. Having an open mind and an adventurous spirit helps a lot and you have lots of time to get prepared for the culture.

Your mom is just worried. Japan is a long way away and she couldn't come to the rescue IF anything went wrong. But NOTHING WILL, so she needs to relax.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Just an FYI, we did all of our passport stuff at the city county building in town, or the "passport office". Also, for the picture, they are not that picky, other than no smiling. We got a passport for my son when he was 6 months old, and it lasts for 5 years. My old passport lasted from when I was 16, with permed hair, and braces.. until I was 26 without all those things.