Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know Anything About Passports? >

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Anyone Know Anything About Passports?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nona
you have to send an original certified birth certifcate, not one that came from the hospital. It will be returned to you with your passport. Now is a good time to apply because the closer it gets to summer time (a large travel period) the longer it takes. It will be good for 10 years. Unless you are planning to loose huge amounts of weight I don't think it will matter.
I need to apply for it now, I need to make a copy of it for my application for the program I am applying to which the application is due September 1st.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm wondering if you are having this much difficulty getting a passport, how will you manage for yourself in a foreign country where you don't even know the language? Maybe your mom is right....maybe you are NOT ready for this?
Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I went through US Post Office website (the one by the school does passports and what not)and they sent me to the official website and I was so confused! I was able to get the cost though.

I'm trying to figure this out because my mom might be able to do this one after income taxes are done... I'm in the middle of a job search so that I can afford the down payment for the program... and save enough money for the flight (there and home) and to have enough spending money and transportation money (I'm going to stay with a family so that I learn the language a little faster) I'm also seeing if I can take a course over the summer and fall or in the fall, at College of DuPage (a great community college) so that I have some back ground in the langauge.

The school that I am going to be attending does NOT require you to know the language, I will be put in intensive language classes... but since I might be doing fall 2012, I can take two courses next year, it's just a matter of getting there.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 AM

With the date to put on the passport, just pick a date that would be close to when you might be going. Since you aren't thinking about going until next spring, try putting down a date sometime in September/October. It doesn't mean that you HAVE to travel then. They just want something there. If you were applying for it and needed it expedited, then you would have to show PROOF that you needed it that quickly...ask me how I know...
So, don't fret about the date. Just pick at date 6 months from now, that should work.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Getting a passport is a super-easy process - no need to stress about it! Go to your local post office, or the nearest post office that issues passports.

Here's a link to the USPS passport info: http://www.usps.com/passport/

Don't worry about changing pics.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Just be careful living overseas. Had a great neice who was chosen to teach English over in a Japanese school. Said all expenses paid, good salary, housing and transportation provided. She had just finished college, so excited to be chose and was on her way. Well, seems that when she arrived, after traveling so many hours tofind out the run down taxi had to deliver her to a school in a far out region. When she was dropped off it was a very run down one room house, electrical cords exposed, no running water and the only transportation was her feet or get a bicycle. Needless to say they did "embelish" about how "great it was going to be". She couldn't get any sleep that night, tried to walk to her place of employment the next day to find out it was over six miles. She broke down, called her mom crying. She found transportation to the airport and flew home to NY again right away. So don't think everything that seems glamorous will turn out to be so. The grass is usally not greener on the other side. Also watch your phone calls, believe it or not her international phone bill for those few days was over $1,400. Good luck to you and God bless you.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM

We went to the post office and applied for our passport they were very helpful and we had no trouble.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 AM

I don't look much like my passport picture. Do remember that when you are in any other country including Canada, that you are a guest, not a resident, and it's their rules, not the USA's. Just follow the rules and courtesies and you'll be fine. It might be good to study up on Japanese culture, especially in social settings. I believe they are more formal than in the states. Have a good trip. The world is a wonderful place, and it's all about people.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter
I'm wondering if you are having this much difficulty getting a passport, how will you manage for yourself in a foreign country where you don't even know the language? Maybe your mom is right....maybe you are NOT ready for this?
I went through US Post Office website (the one by the school does passports and what not)and they sent me to the official website and I was so confused! I was able to get the cost though.

I'm trying to figure this out because my mom might be able to do this one after income taxes are done... I'm in the middle of a job search so that I can afford the down payment for the program... and save enough money for the flight (there and home) and to have enough spending money and transportation money (I'm going to stay with a family so that I learn the language a little faster) I'm also seeing if I can take a course over the summer and fall or in the fall, at College of DuPage (a great community college) so that I have some back ground in the langauge.

The school that I am going to be attending does NOT require you to know the language, I will be put in intensive language classes... but since I might be doing fall 2012, I can take two courses next year, it's just a matter of getting there.
Shinsetsu to kangaete kudasai (Please Regard Me Kindly)

IF you had been paying attention to any of the postings, you would know that hte school teaches in both English and Japanese, I won't be going to fall 2012, and I would be taking classes for two semesters in the Japanese language. I've read the stories of plenty of students who have gone on the same program who did not even know the language, with no background at all with the language and they did fine. I happen to have a slight background with it... I can say a few things... not enough to get me by, but enough just the same. I really don't mean to sound rude, but I don't appreciate people who just assume that if I'm having trouble filling out the paperwork for a Passport that I wouldn't be able to handle going to a foreign country. For the record my mother had the same qualms with me leaving home to live on a college campus that is about a half hour away.

Even students who know the language can go to a foreign country and still have a hard time with fitting in with the locals.

I believe I'll be fine. I don't mean to sound rude, so I'm sorry.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by eimay
I don't look much like my passport picture. Do remember that when you are in any other country including Canada, that you are a guest, not a resident, and it's their rules, not the USA's. Just follow the rules and courtesies and you'll be fine. It might be good to study up on Japanese culture, especially in social settings. I believe they are more formal than in the states. Have a good trip. The world is a wonderful place, and it's all about people.
Yes, much more formal. Most people are called by their last name even by friends and it is said that if you are unsure, just add san to the end of the name. (for me, Saram-San *last name is Schram*)

To learn how to read the language I'll be buying my favorite Mangas (Japanese Graphic Novels) in Japanese... and I'm taking classes this Fall.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwilter

Shinsetsu to kangaete kudasai (Please Regard Me Kindly)

IF you had been paying attention to any of the postings, you would know that hte school teaches in both English and Japanese, I won't be going to fall 2012, and I would be taking classes for two semesters in the Japanese language. I've read the stories of plenty of students who have gone on the same program who did not even know the language, with no background at all with the language and they did fine. I happen to have a slight background with it... I can say a few things... not enough to get me by, but enough just the same. I really don't mean to sound rude, but I don't appreciate people who just assume that if I'm having trouble filling out the paperwork for a Passport that I wouldn't be able to handle going to a foreign country. For the record my mother had the same qualms with me leaving home to live on a college campus that is about a half hour away.

Even students who know the language can go to a foreign country and still have a hard time with fitting in with the locals.

I believe I'll be fine. I don't mean to sound rude, so I'm sorry.

Unfortunately you did sound rude, very rude. And reactions like that would not fly in Japan's culture.