Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 AM

I Read anything and everything..If I get passed the first page I'm gone..Right now I'm reading Storm Cycle by Iris Johansen...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM

The Miss Julia books are by Ann B. Ross. The first one is MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. This is what it is about.

When Wesley Lloyd Springer passed away, he left his proper Southern wife two legacies. The first, as befits a gentleman of means, is the whole of his sizeable estate. The second, so astonishing thereupon hangs this wonderful & witty tale. Miss Julia, recently bereaved & newly wealthy widow, is only slightly bemused when one Hazel Marie Puckett appears at her door with a youngster in tow. But this perfectly practiced composure is quickly reduced when Hazel Marie unceremoniously announces her intentions: the child is Wesley Lloyd's bastard son &, since the man left her penniless, she's leaving little Lloyd in Miss Julia's care. Suddenly, this longtime church member & pillar of her small community finds herself in the center of an unseemly scandal -- & the guardian of a wan nine-year-old whose mere presence will turn her life upside down. With razor wit & perfect Steel Magnolia poise, Miss Julia speaks her mind indeed -- about a robbery, a kidnapping, & all the other disgraceful goings-on that are precipitated by her husband's death. Fast-paced & charming, with a sure sense of comic drama & a cast of crazy characters, this beguiling novel will delight readers from first page to last.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greendragon6889
I Read anything and everything..If I get passed the first page I'm gone..Right now I'm reading Storm Cycle by Iris Johansen...
I like her, too.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou
The Miss Julia books are by Ann B. Ross. The first one is MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. This is what it is about.

When Wesley Lloyd Springer passed away, he left his proper Southern wife two legacies. The first, as befits a gentleman of means, is the whole of his sizeable estate. The second, so astonishing thereupon hangs this wonderful & witty tale. Miss Julia, recently bereaved & newly wealthy widow, is only slightly bemused when one Hazel Marie Puckett appears at her door with a youngster in tow. But this perfectly practiced composure is quickly reduced when Hazel Marie unceremoniously announces her intentions: the child is Wesley Lloyd's bastard son &, since the man left her penniless, she's leaving little Lloyd in Miss Julia's care. Suddenly, this longtime church member & pillar of her small community finds herself in the center of an unseemly scandal -- & the guardian of a wan nine-year-old whose mere presence will turn her life upside down. With razor wit & perfect Steel Magnolia poise, Miss Julia speaks her mind indeed -- about a robbery, a kidnapping, & all the other disgraceful goings-on that are precipitated by her husband's death. Fast-paced & charming, with a sure sense of comic drama & a cast of crazy characters, this beguiling novel will delight readers from first page to last.
You couldn't have written that better if you were a book critic!!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
Originally Posted by Sue Fish
I belong to my local library and am there every week...I mostly listen to books as I never seem to have time to just sit and read and the audio books are wonderful for multitasking..makes boring jobs like ironing, treadmill, vaccuming etc seem to go faster,
Anyone read The Help? I loved it...
I just finished "The Help" I loved it too. I read it in one day.
"the help" was a very good book-i listened to it (on cd)
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM

I am so greatful for all of your suggestions. I can't wait to go the the library again. Don't have a car, so am hoping my friend hurries up and finishes the books she has.
I also love, love, love Diana Gabalon. Read them all a few times and looking forward to reading them again. I don't remember who said that they didn't like fantasy, but there not really fantasy. Just a little time travel like The Time Traveler's Wife.
Just finished The poisenwood Bible. Really enjoyed it.
If you like Christain suspense, Ted Dekker and Teri Blackstock.
are great. I just finished reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I really loved it. Am looking forward to reading the Moonstone by him.
Also still can't beat Patterson, Greg Isles, Julia Spencer-Fleming.
AsI am on disability I can read alot. Read my Bible morning and all the other books the rest of the day. Patricia Cornwell and J D Robb are great.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Love to read, but nobody has mentioned a Kindle yet! I am currently working on "The Long Walk Home". I love the Kindle cause I still work full time and don't have a lot of time to hang at the Library. I can order my books on my Kindle so I am never without a new read!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Have you tried JA Jance and Earl Emerson? If you are a Patricia Cornwell fan you will love these!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Merdyann
Love to read, but nobody has mentioned a Kindle yet! I am currently working on "The Long Walk Home". I love the Kindle cause I still work full time and don't have a lot of time to hang at the Library. I can order my books on my Kindle so I am never without a new read!
Yup, i LOOOOOOOOOVE my kindle too. Don't know what i ever did without one. I've been eyeing the pattern for the kindle bag that is at Moda Bakeshop.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/05/...eper.html#more
Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Merdyann
My son works for Amazon so I am hoping for a Kindle for Christmas. I wish that Kindle was connected to libraries so that you could borrow rather than buy. But I know there are free books you can download to your PC from Amazon because my husband has downloaded a few to mine. Just haven't had the chance to read them because my free time is on the board or reading hard copy from my long book list.