Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? >

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

never had one, but have my mothers since her death. date inside says 1936.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I still have my hope chest but it holds quilts now. I had mine full of Tupperware (my big sis kept having parties), a quilt from mom, silverware etc. Then when I graduated high school I bought more things. Then after college I got married and had so much. It was fun to sit and look thru it too. I think I will start one for my granddaughter.
I hope you started one!!! I came across this thread wondering if anyone else had one on here. Mine is already full and I still have more stuff I want to put in it! I have some things that I want to keep for sentimental reasons along with some other things. I have a quilt my grandma made as a girl as well as a full sized quilt my great grandma made for my aunt as well as a set of dishes (but no silverware!) as well as a set of towels and 2 quilts I made. I have a little box that was one of my other great grandma's that I keep special little things in, my prom corsage and prom ticket, my friends senior pics and a few other things. I also put my American girl doll in there for the daughter I want to have one day as well as my yearbooks and graduation gown and cap, dipolma and my disney princess story books. Can you tell I want to have kids one day?? I still need silverware as well as pots and pans. I have my grandma's china that I'm pretty sure was her mothers stored in some boxes in the attic that I can't wait to pull out just to look at them again.

And I swear when I finish my family tree one day it will go in there. But that's another wip!

But my hope chest is the toy box that my dad made for me when I was little. When we moved, I had a bunch of junk thrown in it but said I wouldn't part with it (the toy box not the junk) and my dad said of course I wasn't getting rid of it. It's turned into my hope chest and though it's not real fancy, I still love it. Along with the blanket chest in my mom's room...
Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Well, there really is no hope left for my chest. The girls are heading steadily South. lol
YOu are indeed a mad hatter. LOL
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM

No none for me. I did take care of my daughter though. She's 22 and next month she's moving into her first apartment. For years I have been buying her things for her first place; mostly for kitchen. This past year she got the Paula Dean red cookwared. She's always love Coke things so she had the dishes, phone, etc. It took me years to get her interested in cooking; she has 4 brothers who loved to cook. I wanted to make sure her kitchen is fully equiped to keep her going. I'm so excited; I'm finally going to be an empty nester. I have been raising kids for over 40 yrs; including a few grandkids; finally my house is mine. She's living really close and I know I'll see her a few times each week but I'm just as excited as she is.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM

you know what I realized isn't fair anymore? I'm 18 and want to get stuff of mine. But I keep reading how some of you got dishes real cheap from grocery stores, or collected things in boxes to send away for bowls and I WISH THEY STILL DID THIS!!!! That's how my grandma got her dishes as well as her sisters. They took turns from oldest to youngest to get dishes and I wish I could do that. I'd have more stuff to add, and maybe have to find another chest!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I never actually had a hope chest, but did have lots and lots of household things kept in my closet. I got engaged to my husband to be the year I graduated from hi-school and he was in Calif. in the marines. We didn't get married for another year. I stay at home with my mother and worked, buying up dishes, sheets and all sorts of things. I would lay in bed at night propped up embroidering cuptowels and pillow cases. One night I had emb. a tomato on a cuptowel and when I went to cut my threads and hold it up---I had embroidered it to the sheet. I had to laugh, then take it all out. I had so many things when we did get married we didn't have to buy much. I don't think a lot of girls do that anymore, mine didn't.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Still have mine. Made by Lane of cedar and it still smells good. Has baby clothes and kerpsakes in it like the vest from my dads suit when my parents were married in 1938 and ribbons I won showing horses as a kid.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Yes I did have one.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 AM

Yes, I had a Lane Cedar Chest I got for my Jr. High Graduation. I had so much fun saving all the Betty Crocker coupons to buy nice silverware. I still have the chest and use the silverware daily. Good memories.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 AM

My mama accumulated a few things for my HOPELESS CHEST, as she laughingly called it, such as a set of dishes and some cooking utensils, while I was in high school, but I didn't actually have the chest. Those things were stored in Mama's cedar chest. A few years ago, however, one of my daughters found a used chest in very good condition and bought it for me for Christmas. It sits at the foot of my bed now.