Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else hate pepper? >
  • Does anyone else hate pepper?

• Does anyone else hate pepper?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 AM

I don't care for anything that is hot. Burns my tongue. Now my hubby is the complete opposite. Even the smell of his plate makes my eyes water. Any red food (goulash, spagetti sloppy joes) he drounds it with tobasco! YUCK! But he likes it.
    Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    Just wondering if anyone else, besides me, hates the taste of pepper. I never use it and hate to eat food from anyone else or a restaurant that uses it. If there is pepper on food, that's all I can taste. Friends are always telling me there is so little in something that I won't even taste it, but I always do. Am I the only one? Please tell me that I'm not.
    I am not so bad with pepper ,but I hate all the salt that is added. I never cook with it myself, and when someone says that something is well seasoned, I can't eat it.

I also can't eat peppers (the vegetable) - does terrible things to my digestion.
    in my house, "well seasoned" means covered in herbs. I hardly use salt at all when cooking. And if the recipe calls for salt, I usually use about half of what they say (unless baking) but the only thing I put salt on is french fries from fast food places when I go there about once a year and then I use only half or less a packet.

But I use pepper, not a lot but my dad always puts more on.
    Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 AM
    Power Poster

Watch out! You might be on your way to becoming allergic to black pepper. This is how I started. I am most likely actually allergic to the fungus that grows on the outside shell of the black pepper. Think IBS, shaking, cramping and profuse cold sweat. I can not eat antyhing unless I make it. I can not eat anything that has touched food that has balck pepper or been fried in the same oil. I do believe black pepper use has been on the upswing. It used to be offered at the table freshly ground in restaurants but now it is normally already added. Anything labeled with spice in the store I need to avoid because that usually means pepper. I can handle some hot sauce etc. I am not allergic to spicy food just black pepper.

Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    Just wondering if anyone else, besides me, hates the taste of pepper. I never use it and hate to eat food from anyone else or a restaurant that uses it. If there is pepper on food, that's all I can taste. Friends are always telling me there is so little in something that I won't even taste it, but I always do. Am I the only one? Please tell me that I'm not.
    Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 AM
    Power Poster

I noticed that too especially with men cooks. Many seem to pride themselves on how much pepper they can put on it. It is imposible to take off. Let people season and salt their own.

Originally Posted by dd
    I don't use pepper, it's only there for my husband and son in law. What is it with men? My sister thinks it shouldn't even be sold.
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 AM

I love pepper, black, white, red..doesn't matter, but I'm spare with salt. =My DH took me to a wonderful tapas restaurant a couple of days ago and the food was so salty it took away from the overall yumminess of the meal. I'd never had beef and octopus so tender that it melted.
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Like pepper but it doesn't like me Gives me heartburn very bad.
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Pepper is my favorite. I eat pepper on everthing. Even if it is only the lowwly baloney sandwich with tomatoe. LOL
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM

I love pepper. My sister (who used to have no problem using it) cannot have too much of it nowadays as it triggers some kind of allergic reaction to it.
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM

I like pepper and most all spices.
    Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 AM

I like pepper, but no salt. DH loves adding tons of salt when he cooks, and I usually wind up eating about 1 forkful. Don't like salt at all.