Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Finishing Seams--Machine Attachment Regret >

Finishing Seams--Machine Attachment Regret

Finishing Seams--Machine Attachment Regret

Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Finishing Seams--Machine Attachment Regret

I have a Brother SE400 and bought an attachment called a side cutter. It cuts the fabric and sews the edge with an overlock stitch. It's supposed to be like a serger. It was pretty expensive and is very cumbersome to attach. It took me several tries before I could get it attached. The directions are poor. I used it this morning and one I got it attachedy it worked fine. But in attaching it the first time the needle bent. This attachment attaches to the screw for the needle, and the needle comes out when adding or removing the attachment. The bobbin ran out so I changed the bobbin and reattached the foot. I started sewing and the needle completely jammed, then broke.

How do you finish your seams when sewing, like clothes, or non-quilting projects? I'm making outfits for my grandchildren out of seersucker. That stuff revels like crazy!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM

I bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter and use that on the seams of garments--works great. I do have a serger but much quicker to just pick up the cutter and go at it--have my small cutting board on ironing board next to the sewing machine so don't even have to move. Efficient--not lazy !!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM

I usually just use pinking shears, after the seams are sewn (but before I press them open). If the fabric is of the sort that ravels if you just look at it, I'll go over the raw edge with a small zig-zag stitch.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM

I used to use a zigzag stitch before I had an overlocker. I would use my overcast foot with the little wire or metal finger in it and set my zigzag to a width that would stitch across the finger without hitting it. The overcast foot prevented the zigzag from scrunching up the fabric up and it made a nice flat finish. Can't beat a overlocker though if you ever can get one.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 AM

I've got that attachment as it came with my machine. I find it very useful and can only suggest you may not have attached it correctly and that is why the needle bent? Take the machine to someone who is knowledgeable about attaching the foot and you should be pleasantly surprised about how much time you can save.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I've got that attachment as it came with my machine. I find it very useful and can only suggest you may not have attached it correctly and that is why the needle bent? Take the machine to someone who is knowledgeable about attaching the foot and you should be pleasantly surprised about how much time you can save.
I agree .. I was the same way when I first used that on my Brother Machine .. They were very helpful and knowledgeable at the sewing machine shop. Very PATIENT as well !
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 AM

You can use a zigzag stitch, or French seams, which unfortunately you might find time-consuming. You sew the garment pieces wrong sides together with a small seam allowance, so the seams are on the outside. Then turn the pieces right sides together and sew the seams again with a normal seam allowance, encasing the raw edges between the 2 seams.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM

On my Bernina 440 I use the utility stitch #8. It looks like a zigzag with a straight stitch on both sides. I position it with the the edge of the fabric just abutting the right inner edge of the presser foot. I move my needle all the way to the right and stitch. The edge sorts of rolls under just a tad. It does not pucker, it does give a clean finish. I use it on a single layer or multiple layers. It works for me.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You can use a zigzag stitch, or French seams, which unfortunately you might find time-consuming. You sew the garment pieces wrong sides together with a small seam allowance, so the seams are on the outside. Then turn the pieces right sides together and sew the seams again with a normal seam allowance, encasing the raw edges between the 2 seams.
As many years as I have been sewing, I've never tried a french seam...do you just use smaller seam allowances or cut it larger?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM

I have that attachment, too and have only used it a couple of times - no problems with it, though. Remember you need to do a preliminary cut of about half inch to get the blade started. I have a serger but I am too lazy to load up 4 spools every time I want to serge. Thought about getting a gismo Nancy's Notions I think has that you can put on the back of the serger and just use bobbins. Otherwise I use the overcast. Just depends on my mood and how big an item it is.

Mary