Gift received

Old 10-28-2015, 06:30 AM

Default Gift received

Last Christmas I used USPS to mail off a quilt to my niece in CA. I was sent back the return label and her name and address on the quilt with the notation that the quilt was lost.

I finally finished another for her and so happy to report it arrived safely in CA on Monday. Now I can exhale.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

This happened to my friend a few years ago. The label was the only thing that was delivered. There is tracking information on priority packages so that is the only way I ship a quilt. Now there is suppose to also be insurance but haven't read the find print yet. Make sure to use plenty of tape around the package or envelope and glue the shipping label onto the package. I even pin my address onto the quilt with phone number. Glad you got another one done.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

So sorry for the 'lost'. I'm glad the second one got there safe.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

So happy for you and for her that she got her package.I'm working on Christmas hoping to get some in the works. Going very slow. I bought some extra large Ziploc bags that can hold a king size quilt if folded and squished as flat as possible. Tried this with my bed cover. Dh suggested taping all around the edges with duct tape but putting the address on the inside as well then putting it into a box to send. Thinking this would workwell.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 PM

I know your sister was thrilled to receive her replacement quilt and that you were relieved that it arrived safely. Sorry the 1st one was lost in shipping. .
Old 10-29-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
Last Christmas I used USPS to mail off a quilt to my niece in CA. I was sent back the return label and her name and address on the quilt with the notation that the quilt was lost.

I finally finished another for her and so happy to report it arrived safely in CA on Monday. Now I can exhale.
Pardon my noseyness, but how did they give you the labels if the package was really lost? Did they say "The quilt is lost"? How did they know what was in the package if it was lost? Sorry, but FIL retired from post office, and he said to ask you. When a package or letter is damaged, they gather what they can, and deliver it (if the address is still legible). I once got a "missing" paycheck three weeks late, in a bigger envelope, with the remains of the first envelope and check and a short note with an explanation. (Yes employer had already replaced it.)
Old 10-29-2015, 12:37 PM

I too, like Madamekelly, think something isn't right with the lost quilt. If it was truly lost, how would they know it was a quilt & have the return label & info of the receiver? Just sounds fishy to me. I sent a baby quilt to my niece in Idaho & three months later she came to visit. Since I didn't get a thank you for the quilt, I ask how she liked it. She didn't know anything about it. So she & I went to the Post office & they put a tracer on it & this was years ago before they ever had tracking. Anyway, they did find it in the Seattle WA dead letter office & after the 3 months it was waiting for her when she got home. If they can find a package after 3 months, back 25 years ago, I can't figure all the lost items now with all the up dated tec they have now. Still sounds fishy to me. Glad to hear she got the second one you made her.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:38 PM

I don't put "quilt" on the label; I write fabric or some other label on the box to prevent (hopefully) thieves from stealing. Also, don't have it delivered to the home; pick it up at the PO. Some people follow UPS or FEDX trucks around and steal what they leave on our doorsteps.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:35 PM

I have had several packages go "missing", even with tracking labels and no description on the label. Thankfully, my RowbyRow quilt was just returned by the shop where it won. Sure is nice that you had the persistence to make a duplicate!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I don't put "quilt" on the label; I write fabric or some other label on the box to prevent (hopefully) thieves from stealing. Also, don't have it delivered to the home; pick it up at the PO. Some people follow UPS or FEDX trucks around and steal what they leave on our doorsteps.
You know, I had forgotten that you could have it picked up. Great idea. Thank you.