Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

I wanted a barbie. More than anyone can know. All my friends had barbies in the 60's. My mother said how ugly they were because of their un-human like proportions. ALL I asked for in 4th grade, and 5th grade was a barbie. Well, Santa decided to bring me a wagon so I could help with farm work easier. How dorky! And Barbies were cheap too!

No, I never did get a Barbie. But I made sure that my daughter had all the Barbies she wanted - along with a car, clothes, etc. for them.

Hmmmmm, guess I'm not over the disappointment. It's only been 50 years - time to move on Sara!

I wanted tickets to see the Beatles. They came to Cleveland and my parents would not let me take off from school. I was a senior. Broke my heart!! Oh well, don't like they anymore anyway.. LOL

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I can't complain about not getting what I wanted for Christmas. My Mom made sure we were spoiled at Christmas. She didn't grow up receiving gifts on Christmas. Her childhood was not very good. She got 1 gift 1 time when she was very little at Christmas and it was a doll, she kept it for years infact she may still have it. I try to tell her not to get so much stuff for my kids but tells me that she will do what she wants and no one can stop her. Oh and BTW my Dad just let's her do it because he understands why she does it.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have come back to say I do have 1 to whine about. Last year all I wanted was an Etch-A-Skech. My family didn't believe that my age that I was wanting one of them. I am 42 and have all that I need so why not an Etch-A-Sketch!! But no one bought me one!!! I am still not happy about it.

Kas
    A pony. I always dreamed I would wake up on Christmas morning and there would be a saddle under the tree and a pony in the back yard. I finally had to buy my own with my wedding dress money when I was in college. I didn't marry that guy!

Blog Entries
    I was very blessed to have very loving and giving parents who always tried to make Christmas very special for me and my sister. I can honestly say there is nothing that I wanted for Christmas and didn't get. Or if I didn't get it, I don't remember it. I try my best to be the same with my daughters and grandbabies and even DH.

Blog Entries
    Don't remember being disappointed at Christmas. I was always thrilled with whatever. My mom was such an enthusiast about Christmas. She was more excited than most children and decorated, cooked and sewing late into the night. However, since losing her in 1989, I have never gotten into the Christmas spirit. So I guess you could say my only disappointment is not having her around any more.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have come back to say I do have 1 to whine about. Last year all I wanted was an Etch-A-Skech. My family didn't believe that my age that I was wanting one of them. I am 42 and have all that I need so why not an Etch-A-Sketch!! But no one bought me one!!! I am still not happy about it.
    Try again this Christmas, :) they're great fun, my grandchildren have one, as soon as I have drawn something my little G daughter of 20 months swipes it out, she loves it and the look on her face say's, look how clever I am !!

Didn't start as a Christmas wish, but I always wanted a blue teddybear. Years ago they weren't colored, just browns and blacks, perhaps variations. I was to have my tonsils out and my maternal grandfather had a heart attack and came home the day I was to be in surgery, many miles away. Mom said if I would be a good girl and go have this done I would only have to stay one night and she would get me something I wanted special. I thought well I won't have to go if I ask for a blue teddybear. NOTTTTTTT but she couldn't find one. The subject was dropped and through the years I told everyone, that the only thing I ever really truly wanted was a blue teddybear. I bought one at the dollar store a few years ago......I also have teddybear collection. Just little bears, not the big ones! But I have the blue teddybear even if I had to buy it myself, well, especially that I had to buy it myself. Have you seen the different shades of blue? I got what I wanted. Oh btw, mom did get me a blue beachball. I didn't even know what a beach was and she gave one to my little sister, too. That didn't seem at all special. I guess that is why I kept my desire so long. Was I the nut case?

Aw, Sara, go get yourself a Barbie, lol! I have so much fun making Barbie clothes still today, made them for my DD, nowmy little niece. LOL, I have a barbie, so I can make sure all the clothes fit.

I wanted a billy goat and a monkey one year. I got the monkey but not the goat. It was okay, Zippy and I were best friends for years! He was one of those stuffed monkeys with the rubber face, tennis shoes and hands. He was holding a banana in one hand.
    For a couple of years I'd asked for and not recieved a Barbie doll. When I was 12 I thought I got one only I hadn't wanted one for at least a year. When I opened it there wasn't even a Barbie in the box, it was Midge!!! Two disappointments in the same box! Other than that I enjoyed all the others.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    Didn't start as a Christmas wish, but I always wanted a blue teddybear. Years ago they weren't colored, just browns and blacks, perhaps variations. I was to have my tonsils out and my maternal grandfather had a heart attack and came home the day I was to be in surgery, many miles away. Mom said if I would be a good girl and go have this done I would only have to stay one night and she would get me something I wanted special. I thought well I won't have to go if I ask for a blue teddybear. NOTTTTTTT but she couldn't find one. The subject was dropped and through the years I told everyone, that the only thing I ever really truly wanted was a blue teddybear. I bought one at the dollar store a few years ago......I also have teddybear collection. Just little bears, not the big ones! But I have the blue teddybear even if I had to buy it myself, well, especially that I had to buy it myself. Have you seen the different shades of blue? I got what I wanted. Oh btw, mom did get me a blue beachball. I didn't even know what a beach was and she gave one to my little sister, too. That didn't seem at all special. I guess that is why I kept my desire so long. Was I the nut case?
    My sister had a blue teddy bear. She called it Pinkie! LOL!!

Blog Entries
    I remember one year asking for ice skates. And I got them, but our pond never froze enough to use them that year. My mom always made us clothes. Our gifts were always practical. I don't ever remember being disappointed with a Christmas gift. One year I asked for a full size boy baby doll. I got him along with a snowsuit my mother made and a full wardrobe. I played with him till the rubber started cracking up and breaking. I still love my baby dolls.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    One year I asked Santa for a pair of leather gloves with rabbit fur lining. I got a letter back from Santa saying if he gave me gloves with rabbit fur lining, what would the poor rabbit wear to keep him warm in the cold winter.

I didn't get the leather gloves but I did get several pairs of lovely warm mitts knit by my grandmother. :-D

I had good luck at Christmas too. The only thing I really wanted at one point was an Easy Bake Oven. My friend had one and I loved the little cake pans etc. Mom said no. She said I'll teach you how to bake with the real thing. I think it was the little-ness of it that I liked.

I never asked for anything, but appreciated everything I did get. We were very poor and I guess I must have learned at an early age to appreciate everything I had.
    I do remember our first bike, shared by all of us. Also, I loved paper dolls and would sit for hours just creating clothes for them.
    Dodee

After my mom died when I was nine, my dad tried very hard but was at a loss with 2 girls. I asked for a flute for Christmas one year, I didn't know how to play but I loved the idea of a silver flute. He got me a plastic flutophone - like a Fisher-Price toy for a five year old with different colored keys. I said thanks and never used it.
    Oh, and I always wanted the 64 box of Crayola - never had one.

Probably a Barbie doll. Never had even a glimpse of one! Christmas's weren't that great in our house. After a while no presents and not because we were so poor. Not poor financially, but very poor emotionally. After I grew up I made sure every holiday was special for my kids.

I was about 12. I remember one year I asked for a makeup set. Remember the Sears catalog- Mom would give it to us and we'd make our lists. I soooo wanted this kit. Christmas morning- I remember it so well. The disappointment, being so sad. We always opened our gifts and piled them under the tree to show the relatives. I got pantyhose (it was nice but, come on) and panties. The panties were cute- bikini style and had neat patterns. 3 pairs all made cute in a box. I didn't want anyone seeing these gifts (and my disappointment) so I took them to my room to put them away. Pull out the panties- underneath- the make up kit!!!!! I came running back out and my Mom had this huge smile on her face! She hid it on purpose. It was the best (and almost worst) Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    A pony. I always dreamed I would wake up on Christmas morning and there would be a saddle under the tree and a pony in the back yard. I finally had to buy my own with my wedding dress money when I was in college. I didn't marry that guy!
    You did way better than me, lol. I always wanted a pony also but had to wait till I was in my mid 40's to get my first horse. I have made up for it since ;-)

The other item I wanted was a railway set, but my brother got all the trains :-(

I did get lucky one year. My father was sent out to buy a second hand dolls pram for me and came back with a pedal car, in the form of a race car, that had come off a merry-go-round. I hated dolls and would have had no use for a pram, but that car was the best present ever and my brother and I played with it for years.

Oh, I always wanted an Easy bake oven too, but Mom always said I would make a mess. Never got one!

I had a wonderful childhood and don't remember ever being disappointed at Christmas. One year I wanted a tiny thumbelina doll. I was really getting too old for dolls, and it was probably the last year I'd get one, but I really, really wanted this particular one. I got up in the middle of the night (ummm, I did that every year), and snuck into the living room to see what Santa left under the tree. I don't remember what was there, but tiny thumbelina wasn't!!! I was crushed! Not sure if I actually woke my mother up, or if she heard me rambling around and said something, but of course, I had to whine about my doll. So, she tells me to go ahead and open my present from my grandmother. Ahhhhhhhhh, there was my doll. My grandmother was determined to get me that doll even though mother told her I wanted it from Santa.

The only things I remember ever wanting (in general, not necessarily for Christmas) were a Barbie dollhouse, a Bride doll (a nice collectible one - not a "toy" ) and a piano. I compensated and bought my niece the Barbie house, mother bought me a Madame Alexander Bride when I was grown and I never got a piano or learned to play .

It pretty much didn't matter what the popular toy was I wasn't getting it. My mother saw no value in belonging. I didn't get the same toys or clothes or anything else the other kids had.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    I wanted a barbie. More than anyone can know. All my friends had barbies in the 60's. My mother said how ugly they were because of their un-human like proportions. ALL I asked for in 4th grade, and 5th grade was a barbie. Well, Santa decided to bring me a wagon so I could help with farm work easier. How dorky! And Barbies were cheap too!

No, I never did get a Barbie. But I made sure that my daughter had all the Barbies she wanted - along with a car, clothes, etc. for them.

Hmmmmm, guess I'm not over the disappointment. It's only been 50 years - time to move on Sara!
    I am here laughing, because your story is exactly as mine. I would have died for a Barbie and all my grandma ever got were the skinny dolls that sat with the legs pointing north and south. I just wanted a doll that sat like me. I never got one but my daughter had Barbies to form and army. When asked what she wanted for a birthday Barbie was the only response. She had them all and at the age of 5 she got a Ken, and Barbie seemed to multiply even faster after that. When we sold our house we went through her box of over 100 of them. She kept the 20 that meant the most to her (how can she tell them apart?) and we donated the rest of the box to some local families I knew didn't have any. She also donated most of the clothes and accesories, which included cars, furniture, dishes, kitchens, and shoes unlimited. She made some little girls very happy.

When I gave up my Barbie dream I wanted and Easy Bake oven and my grandma didn't understand why I wanted to cook if she did all the cooking in a real oven. I always got something, and not bad things either. I still have a beautiful doll she got me from Spain with a gorgeous dress. I just never got what I wanted until I got married. Now I make the point of getting at least one thing I know they want.

One year all I wanted was a Chia Pet when they were all the rage. I think I was 8. Something like that. So I asked my Grandma figuring she would definatly get it......not your typical nice grandma who bakes cookies and sews a little. Total control freak who likes to show off to people with money. Sometimes the wrapping paper on her presents cost more than the gift because she gets expensive wrapping paper and expensive ribbon for them. Didn't realize it when I was 8 other than I knew she didn't like my tomboyish ways.

Anyways, NEVER got it. The crappy part was she had put one of my gifts in a Chia pet box! So obviously when I unwrapped the gift I went "A Chia Pet!" in excitement before being told "Um...I think you should look inside the box". Turned out to be a childrens cassette player and tapes for it. Like I said, because Grandma likes to show off it wasn't a cheap one either. I went "Oh. A tape player. Thanks." Broke my little 8 year old heart and thinking about it kind of ticks me off because it was kind of a cruel thing to do. That's all I really asked for and she knew that's what I wanted and she sticks another present in the Chia Pet box and no Chia Pet!

Then there was the time I got something I wasn't supposed to. Another year one of the things I asked for was Alanis Morresette's "Jagged Little Pill" album. Mom specifically told her she could get anything else I wanted but NOT that album. She bought it anyways. Also, she had got my brother Chuck the Talking Truck when Mom said she was getting it for him (Grandma's reasoning was *insert snobbish voice* "Well, I wasn't sure if you'd make it to the store to get one"). I think she did those things just to tick Mom off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast