Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was the Christmas gift you've never received? >

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Oh, I always wanted an Easy bake oven too, but Mom always said I would make a mess. Never got one!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 AM

I had a wonderful childhood and don't remember ever being disappointed at Christmas. One year I wanted a tiny thumbelina doll. I was really getting too old for dolls, and it was probably the last year I'd get one, but I really, really wanted this particular one. I got up in the middle of the night (ummm, I did that every year), and snuck into the living room to see what Santa left under the tree. I don't remember what was there, but tiny thumbelina wasn't!!! I was crushed! Not sure if I actually woke my mother up, or if she heard me rambling around and said something, but of course, I had to whine about my doll. So, she tells me to go ahead and open my present from my grandmother. Ahhhhhhhhh, there was my doll. My grandmother was determined to get me that doll even though mother told her I wanted it from Santa.

The only things I remember ever wanting (in general, not necessarily for Christmas) were a Barbie dollhouse, a Bride doll (a nice collectible one - not a "toy" ) and a piano. I compensated and bought my niece the Barbie house, mother bought me a Madame Alexander Bride when I was grown and I never got a piano or learned to play <sigh>.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 AM

It pretty much didn't matter what the popular toy was I wasn't getting it. My mother saw no value in belonging. I didn't get the same toys or clothes or anything else the other kids had.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
I wanted a barbie. More than anyone can know. All my friends had barbies in the 60's. My mother said how ugly they were because of their un-human like proportions. ALL I asked for in 4th grade, and 5th grade was a barbie. Well, Santa decided to bring me a wagon so I could help with farm work easier. How dorky! And Barbies were cheap too!

No, I never did get a Barbie. But I made sure that my daughter had all the Barbies she wanted - along with a car, clothes, etc. for them.

Hmmmmm, guess I'm not over the disappointment. It's only been 50 years - time to move on Sara!
I am here laughing, because your story is exactly as mine. I would have died for a Barbie and all my grandma ever got were the skinny dolls that sat with the legs pointing north and south. I just wanted a doll that sat like me. I never got one but my daughter had Barbies to form and army. When asked what she wanted for a birthday Barbie was the only response. She had them all and at the age of 5 she got a Ken, and Barbie seemed to multiply even faster after that. When we sold our house we went through her box of over 100 of them. She kept the 20 that meant the most to her (how can she tell them apart?) and we donated the rest of the box to some local families I knew didn't have any. She also donated most of the clothes and accesories, which included cars, furniture, dishes, kitchens, and shoes unlimited. She made some little girls very happy.

When I gave up my Barbie dream I wanted and Easy Bake oven and my grandma didn't understand why I wanted to cook if she did all the cooking in a real oven. I always got something, and not bad things either. I still have a beautiful doll she got me from Spain with a gorgeous dress. I just never got what I wanted until I got married. Now I make the point of getting at least one thing I know they want.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 AM

One year all I wanted was a Chia Pet when they were all the rage. I think I was 8. Something like that. So I asked my Grandma figuring she would definatly get it......not your typical nice grandma who bakes cookies and sews a little. Total control freak who likes to show off to people with money. Sometimes the wrapping paper on her presents cost more than the gift because she gets expensive wrapping paper and expensive ribbon for them. Didn't realize it when I was 8 other than I knew she didn't like my tomboyish ways.

Anyways, NEVER got it. The crappy part was she had put one of my gifts in a Chia pet box! So obviously when I unwrapped the gift I went "A Chia Pet!" in excitement before being told "Um...I think you should look inside the box". Turned out to be a childrens cassette player and tapes for it. Like I said, because Grandma likes to show off it wasn't a cheap one either. I went "Oh. A tape player. Thanks." Broke my little 8 year old heart and thinking about it kind of ticks me off because it was kind of a cruel thing to do. That's all I really asked for and she knew that's what I wanted and she sticks another present in the Chia Pet box and no Chia Pet!

Then there was the time I got something I wasn't supposed to. Another year one of the things I asked for was Alanis Morresette's "Jagged Little Pill" album. Mom specifically told her she could get anything else I wanted but NOT that album. She bought it anyways. Also, she had got my brother Chuck the Talking Truck when Mom said she was getting it for him (Grandma's reasoning was *insert snobbish voice* "Well, I wasn't sure if you'd make it to the store to get one"). I think she did those things just to tick Mom off.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Remember those baskets of stuffed animal kitties, with REAL rabbit fur? I wanted one of those too. But was told it was silly since I had a whole barn full of real cats! I look at those types of stuffed animals now and shudder!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 AM
bj

Originally Posted by lots2do
I had good luck at Christmas too. The only thing I really wanted at one point was an Easy Bake Oven. My friend had one and I loved the little cake pans etc. Mom said no. She said I'll teach you how to bake with the real thing. I think it was the little-ness of it that I liked.
One year my aunt (2 yrs older) got an easy bake oven. We played with it all day, ran out of batter mix, so we made playdoh cookies. My grandmother's house stunk for days! and the oven disappeared shortly thereafter! We both asked for one the next year, but Santa said NO! :-D :-D We thought he was very mean.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:54 AM

I don't remember how old I was, but I asked for a sewing machine. Yep, I got one, but it was a very OLD Singer. It was NOT the one I wanted.... I don't even think I used it, but I sure wish I had it now!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I don't remember how old I was, but I asked for a sewing machine. Yep, I got one, but it was a very OLD Singer. It was NOT the one I wanted.... I don't even think I used it, but I sure wish I had it now!
Once my friend got a tiny play sewing machine for Christmas. I had to show her how to sew. It really worked, but I didn't want one, because I was learning to sew on a REAL machine of my mothers. I was about 8 or 10 then.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
I wanted a barbie. More than anyone can know. All my friends had barbies in the 60's. My mother said how ugly they were because of their un-human like proportions. ALL I asked for in 4th grade, and 5th grade was a barbie. Well, Santa decided to bring me a wagon so I could help with farm work easier. How dorky! And Barbies were cheap too!

No, I never did get a Barbie. But I made sure that my daughter had all the Barbies she wanted - along with a car, clothes, etc. for them.
I begged for a Barbarie and finally got one--the first one ever made. she is now worth a fortune. I still have my daughter's Barbies, clothes, car, house, furniture, etc. She is now 23
Hmmmmm, guess I'm not over the disappointment. It's only been 50 years - time to move on Sara!