Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was the Christmas gift you've never received? >

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:13 AM

A different family. I did not have a good one and as I was born 15 days before Christmas I didn't get two presents. Never got to celebrate my birthday. Now I do. I buy my self chocolate covered cherries..two boxes!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 AM

My mom and dad both grew up poor, so I think they enjoyed being able to make Christmas special for me. My granny really made things special for me since I was her only grandchild! I don't ever remember being disappointed at Christmas.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Sara...I can relate to the Barbie Doll. This too is what I wanted for Christmas and never got along with a box of "64" crayons of my own. I got every knock-off of the Barbie doll there was, along with beautiful hand made clothes for them that my Grandma made me (which I truly loved)....but it still wasn't the same as the actual Barbie.

Its funny that you bring this up, cause I was talking about this very subject a few months ago to my DH, and for Mother's Day he presented me with my own BOX OF 64 Crayons. I say...he is a keeper!

Its funny how things like this stay with you over the years. My folks were not rich, therefore the knock-off Barbies, but we always had a nice Christmas, and knew we were loved, so I guess I need to remember what really counts. Lesson learned!

Claudia
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have come back to say I do have 1 to whine about. Last year all I wanted was an Etch-A-Skech. My family didn't believe that my age that I was wanting one of them. I am 42 and have all that I need so why not an Etch-A-Sketch!! But no one bought me one!!! I am still not happy about it.
I got my first and only Etch-A-Sketch when I was 18! I got it from a teacher I was training under!

Never give up!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

I never had a Ragedy Ann and Radedy Andy dolls until I was 40! My DH got those for me!
I still have them and won't even anyone play with them!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Japonica
Christmas's weren't that great in our house. After a while no presents and not because we were so poor. Not poor financially, but very poor emotionally. After I grew up I made sure every holiday was special for my kids.
Sounds a lot like my story. My two little sisters wouldn't have had a Christmas present if I didn't take the bus downtown and buy them each a present (at least the parents gave me money to do that), wrap them and put them under a tree that I put up.

But, that made me want to make Christmas for my own three a happy, magical time. Now that they are grown up, they tell me happy memories of Christmases past. And that's the best present I could ever get.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 AM

I wanted the baby sized pretty doll in the window of the Gambles store with the beautiful blue organza and lacy dress, with the golden locks and little white shoes and socks - and her face was like an angel... and I never got her - rough times back then, so settled for what Santa brought and was happy too - but never forgot that beautiful doll in the window.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Interesting the thoughts this thread has brought to mind. You have mentioned a lot of things that I remember - even Tiny Tears, which I recieved when I was too young to ask. (First girl in the family after two boys, priviledged; you might recognize the things my brothers voiced at the time!!)

What I wanted was a horse. Being raised by parents who grew up farming, and a dad who had to handle the horses all the time, I did not get one. By the time I wanted one, I was one of five children, living in town, and the family needed every cent to keep us in clothes and food. So I appreciated what I was given.

Years later, my DH and I gave our elder daughter her dream - a thoroughbred - and I have been able to enjoy watching as she works with him.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM

When I was nine I asked for yet another doll. An Alice in Wonderland doll. Mom said I was too old for dolls.
That December my school had a raffle. On Christmas Eve I answered the door. There was the Doll that was raffled. I had won it. I never played with her. Just admired her.
61 years later she needs a doll hospital to replace all the dried elastic and redo her joints. Any one know where I could have her restored?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 AM

Porsche, I have been asking everyone, including mall Santa's for around 43 years now. When will it happen, my DH says not in his lifetime.