Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was the Christmas gift you've never received? >

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 PM

mom raised 9 of us alone after our dad died and we thought gloves . p.j's scarves were the norm for Christmas. So we were always happy not knowing other kids got toys and new clothes. ignorance was bliss in our case.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 PM

I grew up in a neighborhood of all boys. I had to climb higher, whistle louder, shoot straighter, run faster, and learn to work on cars. When we were about 10 both my brothers got a bb gun for Christmas and I got this stupid Doll that was actually taller than I was. Now what in the world would I ever do with this big luggy doll? Mom never did understand that I wanted a bb gun in the worst way. I am still a tomboy, always will be. But she loved me a lot. She was the one that wanted a daughter instead of a tomboy.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 PM

I got bupkis last year. I give great gifts and, I guess, people can't compete with me. lol
Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 PM

I always wanted a fast remote controlled car.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM

We were pretty poor when I was growing up and each of us would get one present. My sisters always got the cute baby dolls. Because I was tall & lanky I guess my dad thought I'd want a basketball!! LOL Just read BQUILTIN; we should have switched places.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM

i wanted a pony !! we lived in the city and i could never figure out why santa would not bring me a pony that i could keep in the backyard in the summer and in the garage in the winter !!! oh i bet my mom and dad had a laugh about that idea
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM

I can't remember ever being disappointed at Christmas as a child. Each of us eight kids made a list of what we would like for Christmas, and usually we got at least one item from our list. My favorite gifts, though, were the ones my maternal grandpa MADE for me. I received a toy kitchen cupboard one year (I was twelve and it stood nearly as tall as I was) and my grandma had outfitted it with a tea set. I played with it for years, and my sisters played with it as well. It now stands in my living room until I can get it moved upstairs where it will hold some of my stash.

Another favorite is a doll bed Grandpa made. Grandma sewed a mattress and pillow for it, and also a pair of sheets and a pillowcase. That year I also had a new little sister and she fit in the doll bed! I also have a crazy quilt doll quilt that Grandma had made...it's faded, but I have it in my cedar chest.

DH and I don't buy expensive items for our grandkids. I have made pillowcases for each one, and I have plans for a quilt for each for next year. This year I'll be making some fleece scarves for my DGD...she likes pink and purple.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 PM

(Re - Sarasewing - Christmas gift never received.) Not me but my second son always wanted a "proper" mechanno set, and I could never afford one. This subject came up a few years ago when the kids were teasing me, so for his 36th birthday I got him a you-beaut mechanno set, he was like a 10 year old again (& his brother & mates likewise) He is since married with a 2yr old son so its put away for him. He also wanted to play drums, the others were happy with the piano we had, never happened. Wonder what HE will say when the his son wants the drums.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 AM

Well, I can't really remember too many things I wanted as a child, but my Mom brought up my sister and I and didn't have much money. I do remember wanting a baby doll and did get one and my sister got the same one, also. BUT, for the last 20 or so years I have wanted a red Benz. It used to be a SL 560 , but now it's a 2005 SLK 350 AND I WILL GET IT... I don't give up very easily !!!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 AM

At the age of five, my mom just left Dad and the four of us kids. All I wanted after that was a mom. I never got one, so I just made it my mission to be a 'mom' to any kid who seemed to need one. I love it when all those kids find me again and we can play "remember when...". God didn't give me a mom, but he helped me find out what one should be. I am truly blessed.