Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was the Christmas gift you've never received? >

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

What was the Christmas gift you've never received?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
At the age of five, my mom just left Dad and the four of us kids. All I wanted after that was a mom. I never got one, so I just made it my mission to be a 'mom' to any kid who seemed to need one. I love it when all those kids find me again and we can play "remember when...". God didn't give me a mom, but he helped me find out what one should be. I am truly blessed.
Aaaaaw.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 AM

Well, this is not me, but my dad once told me he'd never had a teddy bear when he was young. I got him one for xmas that year and he was overjoyed, he loved it. Dad died a few years ago but scruffy still sits on mum's couch with dad's hospital band around his arm :cry:
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have come back to say I do have 1 to whine about. Last year all I wanted was an Etch-A-Skech. My family didn't believe that my age that I was wanting one of them. I am 42 and have all that I need so why not an Etch-A-Sketch!! But no one bought me one!!! I am still not happy about it.
I got my first and only Etch-A-Sketch when I was 18! I got it from a teacher I was training under!

Never give up!
When this happens I buy it myself, wrap it and put "from Santa" and put it under the tree....then acting soooooooo excited when opening!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
At the age of five, my mom just left Dad and the four of us kids. All I wanted after that was a mom. I never got one, so I just made it my mission to be a 'mom' to any kid who seemed to need one. I love it when all those kids find me again and we can play "remember when...". God didn't give me a mom, but he helped me find out what one should be. I am truly blessed.
That's touch that you reach out to other kids. We've all heard the expression "it takes a community to raise a child". And you help make that happen. Although we are empty nesters, we have neighborhood kids stop by the house to "play with us", so I guess I'm helping raise the neighborhood in that small way.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM

My sister was visiting me for Thanksgiving and we talked about "the olden days" because we weren't raised together. Grandma raised me and do I now appreciate it!!!

Sister told of once when she found the magnificent sum of 18 dollars..this was in the early 1940s, and of course gave it to Mom.
She said that Mom bought the other kids snow suits, but not her.
Even to this day, over 60 years later, that unfairness still hurts her. So now she makes sure to always be fair with all the grandkids, even though they don't live near each other. You have no idea of how long memories that hurt can last.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

when we were first married, I wanted a sewing basket and my husband and young son bought me an endtable with 4 drawers, it was beautiful and a great piece of furniture but I couldn't hide my disappointment that I didn't get a small sewing box. I felt so bad because it was really a great gift but I was ungrateful.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I can't complain about not getting what I wanted for Christmas. My Mom made sure we were spoiled at Christmas. She didn't grow up receiving gifts on Christmas. Her childhood was not very good. She got 1 gift 1 time when she was very little at Christmas and it was a doll, she kept it for years infact she may still have it. I try to tell her not to get so much stuff for my kids but tells me that she will do what she wants and no one can stop her. Oh and BTW my Dad just let's her do it because he understands why she does it.
Wonderful. Sounds like a lot of love in your family !
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM

quilter on the eastern edge...Love your avatar !!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

a peaceful xmas , just me and my Grandparents taking things steady not rushing around preparing for ungrateful others,but it never happened.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Always wanted a horse still wanting one, but I will have one before they put me in my grave or I won't go. I remember asking my dad for one and him saying how will you get it home. I said in the back seat of the car he then asked where will you keep it once your home. I said in my bedroom I was 5 years old at the time.