Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help on Mud Room Flooring, please ! >

Help on Mud Room Flooring, please !

Help on Mud Room Flooring, please !

Old 06-05-2015, 05:55 AM

I have the answer ! Rarely does that happen, but this time I really do. Go to Lowes and buy the Shaw Matrix Plank Flooring. It is completely waterproof and is very similar to laminate/hard wood. I would not recommend the very dark as I have read the reviews about it scratching, but the lighter colors would be great. It is easy to install as it clicks together and there isn't any prep work underneath. Our cottage floor is all this plank flooring because we have concrete floors and are on the river, which is very moist all the time. The cost here is very reasonable.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Avoid a highly textured surface - one book called it "orange peel texture" - it collects dirt and is nearly impossible to keep clean.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

It depends what they want to spend and the structure. A textured tile is nice but unless you have a 1/4 to 3/8 inset it can go into, you have a trippy lip even with the transition tile strip. I have a nice section of vinyl flooring in the foyer of my house. It is all one piece so clean up is a breeze and I keep a cheap flat rug from Walmart on it so I can clean it when needed. When my vinyl gets worn or I want a new pattern it is pretty inexpensive and simple to replace.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:26 AM

Our kitchen is our 'mud room' if you consider the dogs in/out of the muddy back yard all the time! We have a slightly textured ceramic tile in that room. The only time slipping has really been an issue is if you are 'dripping' wet with rubber-soled shoes. We also recently installed vinyl plank flooring in our dining room. It truly looks like wood! Clean up consists of either dusting or damp mop with plain water. Special cleaner if really dirty. BUT it is guaranteed for life against water damage. Bought at Home Depot and hubs did the install. Allure brand. They have 2 different grades w/different warranties/prices.

I would definitely go with some type of vinyl product and some cheap throw rugs to catch the worst of the dirt/mud. You're then able to toss them in the wash or the garbage after too much use/abuse.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I have had 3 "Mud Rooms' in my life. Just outside the door to the mud room they had to wipe their feet. Then on a vinyl floor I had a 3x3 mat or depending on the inside door area. I had another mat to store their boots on. These were like car mats. Easy to hose down and dry. It was also the utility room. Never had too much trouble even though there was a lot of traffic. I had couple rubber backed rugs so no slipping.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:11 AM

I think I would use tile. I have a steam floor mop and it works very well and dries almost instantly. Probably have to use it a lot during "muddy" months, but only takes a few minutes
Old 06-06-2015, 08:16 AM

If it were me, I would install ceramic or porcelain tile, and instead using regular sanded grout, have Laticrete non-sanded grout put down. It doesn't discolor OR mildew. For our guest bathroom, I designed the layout for it and the installer suggested using Laticrete instead of regular grout, and I agreed. It costs more than regular grout, but WELL worth it! I absolutely LOVE it! It looks as good now as the day it was installed. If anyone wants to see a picture of it, send me a PM with your email address. Just yesterday I spoke with the installer about removing the grout in our master bathroom and installing Laticrete, so he's working on an estimate for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the responses. DD is so concerned about all the snow this coming winter ! She can handle the mud/dirt but is unsure of the 'Wet' stuff. I will pass on your suggestions. Thanks again, Annie
Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by annievee View Post
Thanks for all the responses. DD is so concerned about all the snow this coming winter ! She can handle the mud/dirt but is unsure of the 'Wet' stuff. I will pass on your suggestions. Thanks again, Annie
Generally you kick the snow off your shoes outside. Most have a thick rug outside to wipe it off shoes. They're sort of bristle type rugs. Lowes/Home Depot/Wal-Mart has them. It's not like she'll have 3 foot of the white stuff inside. Any that does make it in will melt/evaporate with the heat of the house, adding moisture to the air. This is an added benefit, as the heat dries the inside air. Many of us have had to add a humidifier in winter (our furnace has one on it), as forced air heat dries the air too much & then you get a good zap when touching certain things.

Every winter is different. Some years we have a lot of snow, while other years not so much. Your daughter will do fine. She'll learn how to deal with it over time. It's not that bad.

For me...I'd take snow clean up over trying to clean up sand any day. One trip to Florida & my cars carpet was never the same....just could not get the sand out of it.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
Tile and vynil are both pretty bad for a mud room when wet they become a skating rink.They have been using a new flooring in newer commercial buildings it looks like rough wood planks - tile and I've seen some that looks like slate-it comes in lots of colors. A lot of your newer burger places have it -keeps the lawsuits down. Lowes - Menards and Home Depot all sell this product. Have them ask for the non-slip commercial vynil.
Great advice. I have gone skating too many times on wet tile and vinyl, all it takes is a little bit of melted snow on the bottom of your boots and look out. Ask what the flooring suppliers recommend for minimizing the accidental skating.