Hunting and Fishing

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Anyone out there involved in the sport of hunting and/or fishing?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM

I just came back from a fishing trip. Came home with 80 pounds of filet catfish.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM

My husband does the hunting and fishing. Right now hunting season - lots of deer in area but because of all the new houses - hunting more restricted. Towns in and around area concerned about Lyme Disease - A real concern
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Are they trying to get rid of the Deer?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 AM

There is a special bow & arrow hunt in the next town (Dover) - but only in restricted areas and you know the deer won't travel there! Other towns in area don't allow shotguns so now they are seeing the herds get too big. My husband has been enjoying these activities since he was a teenager but in our beautiful area as the old song goes - They paved Paradise an put in a parking lot. We eat the venison and enjoy it. He is able to go saltwater fishing in summer with friend.
Best fish is the fresh fish - Don't really buy fish in store.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My hubby hunts on our property- deer, turkey.. We had fresh turkey and it was awesome.. I don't care for the venison at all- that's his thing... We also have a creek running thru our property that we ended up creating a swimming hole, but no fishing, not deep enough for fish.. We will take our boat to a local fishing area from time to time..
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM

luvTooQuilt -my husband butchers his own deer so we know what cuts we have. We just pan fry the sirloin steaks in cast iron pan. The tenderloin is eaten right away - fresh as can be and delicious. A lot of hamburg is made and used in speghetti sauce throughout the year. Of course, you need a freezer and ours in one that you have to defrost. The self-defrosting takes out all the moisture of a product as I am sure you know. rucacajun2 - how do you freeze your fish?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM

I freeze them in ziploc bags with water. My boyfriend also hunts deer - He's travelled to Colorado several times in the last couple of years. Always comes back with the story of I had a big one but it got away. He and his siblings also butcher their own deer and make smoked sausage, patties for burgers, and of course the backstrap is mine to cook my way. Which is sliced real thin and dipped into an egg batter and flour and fried. And of course can not leave out the Pioneer White Gravy. When we cook this it's like no one gets enough. Always wanting more. We salt water fish too. But have had more luck in fresh water. I haven't ventured off on one of those deep water fishing trips just yet. We have a camper and a pontoon boat and we love to travel when kids are out of school and activities. Everyone loves to camp, fish and hunt in my family. Even the Cat, Star, and the three pooches, Lily (pug) Shianne and Pooh (poodles) join us on all of our trips. It's nice to take and WHOLE family on trips.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
There is a special bow & arrow hunt in the next town (Dover) - but only in restricted areas and you know the deer won't travel there! Other towns in area don't allow shotguns so now they are seeing the herds get too big. My husband has been enjoying these activities since he was a teenager but in our beautiful area as the old song goes - They paved Paradise an put in a parking lot. We eat the venison and enjoy it. He is able to go saltwater fishing in summer with friend.
Best fish is the fresh fish - Don't really buy fish in store.
The deer are never in the restricted areas of hunting. We camp at a lot of State Parks in Texas and see lots and lots of deer. They are a beautiful animal. Sometimes when the herds get too big though I think they will let people come in and thin it out or they try to catch them and move them to other places.

I love the wilderness. I could live in a log cabin house in the mountains. As long as I have all the food I need, firewood for fires and all the fabrics I can imagine having in a stash along with a gammill longarm and my sewing room set up with any other goodies that belong in one's room. When I dream I dream big, real big.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 AM

My DH hunts elk & deer on our ranch. We keep very little of the meat - give most of it away. We will keep the backstraps and make some into jerky & summer sausage. We have a couple of bass ponds on our ranch and the Yellowstone River runs through our place so he does a lot of fishing. We ship our cattle the 1st of October, so we open the ranch up for anyone who wants to hunt. No cattle are on the place until hunting season is almost over.